NRL Players in hot water

Discussion in 'Rugby League Talk' started by Nashy, Nov 29, 2013.

1. broncos4life

broncos4life International Rep

Why? Because she had a shower afterwards and played nice to get away? If that’s the standard for not being found guilty then nine out of ten rapists would be found innocent.

2. Morkel

Morkel

Both arguments are extremely plausible.

One is lying. Not guilty and two deadshit rapists might walk free. Guilty and JDB has lost his hard-fought livelihood and freedom, and so has his mate, potentially because a chick made shit up.

broncospwn, Porthoz and soup like this.
  3. Taking a shower after being raped, yeah.. who would do that?..

The fact that she went to the hospital on the same night to me says that this isn't someone "chasing celebs for money" and someone who has legitimately been violated. The NRL seriously needs to take a stand (I say this every time, and it never happens) with these constant violence against women accusations against players. If they're found guilty, there's absolute no chance de Belin should ever play in the NRL again, just completely de-register him with zero possibility of re-registration under any circumstances, draw a line in the sand for fucks sake, if you're guilty, you're done.

4. Sirlee oldman

Sirlee oldman QCup Player

They have the rape kit and bruising. People have all sorts of odd reactions after trauma. I think the prosecutor has a pretty good chance here if she presents well on the stand.

broncospwn and Porthoz like this.
  5. Sproj

Sproj

Regardless of which way you feel or think about this case, let's not jump the gun. No decision has been made and let's keep it amicable (which it has been so far, so well done all).

6. broncos4life

Yeah this. Tbh this isn’t even an odd reaction, it is pretty text book. A majority of rape victims shower afterwards because it is a natural instinct. They have been violated and for most people the shower is a safe space and running water is calming.

Sirlee oldman likes this.
  7. Sproj

Sproj

Is it? I honestly don't know and would be interested in statistics because if what you say is the case, that doesn't bode well for the accused.

8. I feel like people just shower after sex, whether it's consensual or not. So her showering is almost completely irrelevant in the discussion, she would've showered either way you look at it.

abashii likes this.
  9. Tom

Tom NRL Captain

The fact he has been charged means the police think they have a case. Very curious to hear what his defence is.

broncos4life and soup like this.
  10. broncos4life

I don't have 'stats' but pretty much all I listen, watch and read outside of sport is true crime and it happens a lot.

11. Ordering an Uber for three, going with them after, entering the premises together, staying for drinks, leaving after. These don't seem like the actions of a traumatised victim but yes, they could be too. It's difficult to know just on the face of it. I would think she would have kept the Uber ride or even have ordered two if she was fearful but who knows. I hope they pay for any crime they've committed.

12. Morkel

Morkel

That is true. Even I showered this month and I haven't even had sex!

abashii likes this.
  13. broncos4life

But that's why you shower though right? To pretend you have had sex?

14. Morkel

Morkel

Of course. Just get in there and scrub the sin off me.

15. Tom

Tom NRL Captain

The "wanting to charge their phones before going back out" is the sus bit imo. For a start, who does that? And secondly I believe the cops these days can pinpoint exactly when they have been put on charge. I remember in the Baden Clay case the cops were able to tell exactly when his phone had been put in a charger.

broncos4life likes this.
  16. broncos4life

Good point.

The fact that there were two of them makes it more believable too. I mean if you plan to make this up why would you be doing it with two people there so they can back up each others stories?

17. It's quite difficult to get a conviction in sexual assault cases, it's more difficult to prove than other crimes. Having a shower afterwards, not the smartest thing to do.

It's likely going to turn into "he says, she says" and when that happens, it becomes harder to get a conviction.

I can see JDB walking out of that courtroom a free man even if he did do it.

18. broncos4life

I never said it was a smart thing to do and I am sure no-one that does it thinks it is a smart thing to do, this is a weird thing for you to say though. People don't tend to do the 'smartest' things after experiencing trauma but that all seems to be besides the point to me.

I am aware of the difficulty of getting a conviction in a sexual assault case. For this reason you would have to imagine they have a fairly strong case for them to be prosecuting.

19. Socnorb

Socnorb

I can't imagine the bell end or his lawyers would be very happy about these details being leaked.

Having a shower afterwards does literally nothing, what are you talking about? de Belin's defense case won't be "We never engaged in sexual intercourse", he isn't denying they had sex, so them finding his DNA on/in her during the rape analysis is completely redundant information. The injuries and damage sustained during the intercourse is the only thing that matters, which is still prevalent after a shower, obviously.