NRL Players and family members in hot water

In this context, the issue isn't about them being role models for children. It's about them representing the code, their nations and their clubs. While you may not care about their drug issues, business men and marketing teams do, so I don't have an issue with them facing heavy sanctions.

That isn't to say the role model aspect doesn't play apart whatsoever. It does but not to the extent that others make out. When it comes to being a role model, off-field behaviour isn't as important as on-field behaviour where from my experience players have a tremendous influence on juniours. However, that's another story altogether, as far as this incident is concerned, these guys have made some poor life choices and they've got to face the consequences of their actions.
No one ever stopped watching rugby league because some random did a line...hell, they don't leave for drug dealers, gun runners, international terrorist links, rorting salary caps etc etc etc....if they use it as a pretext it's a lie. They leave because they were never there. Ifvyou like rugby league, you like it for life. Business men do shit for money alone, they only care about bottom lines. Clubs, they're different and it's the only real consideration, the game survives the petty shit.

Ive seen plenty of musicians have lucrative endorsements torn up over bad behaviour
Name two.......and that means they're thrown out, never to record or entertain again ...bullshit, they go on as if nothing ever happened AND don't dragged and slagged

But you think they never see them on the tv or on the computer ?
I actually take that comment back. Bieber may not be a rockstar but his concerts are full of young people and he's a pretty shitty role model.

No one ever stopped watching rugby league because some random did a line...hell, they don't leave for drug dealers, gun runners, international terrorist links, rorting salary caps etc etc etc....if they use it as a pretext it's a lie. They leave because they were never there. Ifvyou like rugby league, you like it for life. Business men do shit for money alone, they only care about bottom lines. Clubs, they're different and it's the only real consideration, the game survives the petty shit.

That's all well and good Huge, but sponsors aren't going to jeopardise their brand by associating with a club that's soft on drugs and crime.

Name two.......and that means they're thrown out, never to record or entertain again ...bullshit, they go on as if nothing ever happened AND don't dragged and slagged

Who said we are throwing them out never to play footy again?
Here is a couple of musos who have fucked their careers and lucrative lifestyle by doing dumb shit. Rick James, Jerry Lee Lewis, Whitney Houston, Boy George, R Kelly. Yeah the list goes on. All were at the peak of their powers and it all came crashing down due to being utter fucking idiots.

That's all well and good Huge, but sponsors aren't going to jeopardise their brand by associating with a club that's soft on drugs and crime.

Nah he expects to see the new Toyota car ad advertising a vehicle for families with Pablo Escobar driving.

No one ever stopped watching rugby league because some random did a line...hell, they don't leave for drug dealers, gun runners, international terrorist links, rorting salary caps etc etc etc....if they use it as a pretext it's a lie. They leave because they were never there. If you like rugby league, you like it for life. Business men do shit for money alone, they only care about bottom lines. Clubs, they're different and it's the only real consideration, the game survives the petty shit.

While I absolutely see this side of the argument this type of thinking is short sighted. Whether you like it or not, as a rugby league observer or player, the NRL players are looked up to by kids. If the NRL doesn't put codes of practice in place and deal harshly with players then parents will take their kids to other sports. The kids are always the future of any sport and the different codes are competing for the athletes of the future.

I am as old school as anyone and agree at heart with you Huge but that world we remember is a different place in 2017 and is controlled by the "business men who do shit for money alone and bottom lines". ( Is there a pun here )

The day the game became a product to sell and we had stake holders and we could ask huge amounts from tv stations was the day all this other stuff started to matter so much.

Sponsors only care because beta males and twitter fatties like to complain and the attention. Doing cocaine is illegal, and that's fine, and I can't feel sorry for the players because they can get away with so much anyway, but it's disgusting that so many people are so easily offended these days.

Sponsors only care because beta males and twitter fatties like to complain and the attention. Doing cocaine is illegal, and that's fine, and I can't feel sorry for the players because they can get away with so much anyway, but it's disgusting that so many people are so easily offended these days.

I think the average person agrees with all that but unless the media stops reporting these incidents then it matters to every sponsor associated with the game. It matters to the clubs who compete for the sponsorship dollar not only among themselves but with other sports. If you were the Storm having a toehold in an AFL dominated market and fighting to still truly establish the club all this type of exposure matters even more.

It relates a bit of to this scene from LoTR

High profile people, be it entertainers, sportsmen, actors or even politicians, are inherently role models, because each one of them is generally portrayed as successful, rich and popular. That's not a problem in itself, as there is nothing wrong with wanting to achieve those goals.

Pretending that parents can teach their children not to look-up to those figures, is just plain silly, especially in our society, where social media has so much influence.
We can at best try to instil good values in our children and ensure they know right from wrong.

The biggest problem is not those people misbehaving, but the lack of consequences. If you're a talented star in your field, there will always be a club, a studio, a record label, willing to pay you millions and keep you in the limelight. How do you explain to your children how those people end up "rewarded" for behaviour you've been teaching them is wrong?

That sucks for everybody, not just NZ. It hamstrings the whole competition as NZ will be so much weaker, and let's face it, they are our only real competition.

I think the poms will suprise

EDIT: Flaming

Last edited by a moderator:
Kiwis will only really feel the loss of Bromwich. Although Bromwich hasn't been at his best this year.

Proctor, jury is still out on him, but they have replacements that can do the job just as good.

Who said we are throwing them out never to play footy again?
Here is a couple of musos who have fucked their careers and lucrative lifestyle by doing dumb shit. Rick James, Jerry Lee Lewis, Whitney Houston, Boy George, R Kelly. Yeah the list goes on. All were at the peak of their powers and it all came crashing down due to being utter fucking idiots.
Yes but not because we as a society punished them ! Give me the list that lost their career because of a punishment.....

It does apply to entertainers. In the public eye, image is everything to their business.
Rubbish. Being a ' hard ' rocker or muso of any kind for that matter it seems it makes fuckall difference. Any role model musician is not banned for 4 years or whatever, told they can't play or record, lerform or sell their product. No, we just shrug our shoulders and move on.

While I absolutely see this side of the argument this type of thinking is short sighted. Whether you like it or not, as a rugby league observer or player, the NRL players are looked up to by kids. If the NRL doesn't put codes of practice in place and deal harshly with players then parents will take their kids to other sports. The kids are always the future of any sport and the different codes are competing for the athletes of the future.

I am as old school as anyone and agree at heart with you Huge but that world we remember is a different place in 2017 and is controlled by the "business men who do shit for money alone and bottom lines". ( Is there a pun here )

The day the game became a product to sell and we had stake holders and we could ask huge amounts from tv stations was the day all this other stuff started to matter so much.
Fair comment.

EDIT: Flaming

Last edited by a moderator:

Active Now

• broncs30
  • Cavalo
  • Midean
  • Yem
  • Battler
  • Justwin
  • Brotherdu
  • Broncorob
  • ezpz
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • The Don
  • I bleed Maroon
  • GCBRONCO
  • Morkel
  • Wolfie
  • Gympie devil
  • Xzei
  • Dony Eliakim
  • Santa
  • BroncosFan_Corey
... and 33 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.