NRL Players and family members in hot water

Rubbish. Being a ' hard ' rocker or muso of any kind for that matter it seems it makes fuckall difference. Any role model musician is not banned for 4 years or whatever, told they can't play or record, lerform or sell their product. No, we just shrug our shoulders and move on.

So they shouldn't be punished for breaking their contract rules and the law? (cocaine is illegal you know)

The day we accept this behavior as "okay", is the day society goes down the drain.

There is a reason this stuff is illegal, and its not due to revenue raising. it ruins lives, it ruins families and as a society we need to stamp it out before it damages more people.

Whether people agree that they are role models or not, they are leaders at their club.

They are representing their club, the club's brand, all of those sponsors all over the jersey. They are there to set an example for the younger generation coming through.

This is not an issue to be taken lightly. Who cares about what other people did in the past?

They broke their contract, the NRL's policy and their club's policy. They should be dealt with harshly, not this two week suspension bullshit.

The Titans are still trying to rebuild their brand after the last cocaine scandal and Proctor just made it worse.

Rubbish. Being a ' hard ' rocker or muso of any kind for that matter it seems it makes fuckall difference. Any role model musician is not banned for 4 years or whatever, told they can't play or record, lerform or sell their product. No, we just shrug our shoulders and move on.

Plenty of bands have ditched band members because of their substance abuse.

I tend to liken NRL players more towards that of an employee of the NRL, one who represents said company in the public eye. That and the simple fact that the employee signs a contract agreeing to abstain from embarrassing the company or to bring into disrepute the company's public image.

I have no problems whatsoever in the NRL standing these numbskulls down.

Watching the Kidwell interview, he genuinely looked gutted that the incident happened and that he had to make the call.. But he made the call because he felt he had to. To uphold the values.

Kevvie could learn a thing or two..

what like banning eight potential players from being selected during last years series

Like not letting someone who endangered the lives of others play Origin.. He could do that if he was fair dinkum about all of the values he speaks about each year.

Like not letting someone who endangered the lives of others play Origin.. He could do that if he was fair dinkum about all of the values he speaks about each year.

He likely considers that Papalli (i assume thats who you are referring to) has been punished by missing the test match.

You know what I think the biggest problem is? Finding the right punishment. Banning for life is stupid, how many other codes ban people for life for recreational drugs? The NFL, NBA, MBL, AFL, EPL etc etc don't do it. So why should we? It won't act as a deterrant, and in the rush to make our code look oh so adult and responsible, we'll just look like we're out of touch with the rest of society when it's a widespread, societal issue.

Everyone critisizes the AFL for sweeping their shit under the rug, but I bet you the players would prefer that instead of being thrown under a bus by several media organisations, players past and present, media analysts and pundits the moment something like this comes to light.

Drugs are cool and good. People should be free to enjoy cool and good things. Seriously though guys, maybe wait till off season and not just after a test match lol.

You know what I think the biggest problem is? Finding the right punishment. Banning for life is stupid, how many other codes ban people for life for recreational drugs? The NFL, NBA, MBL, AFL, EPL etc etc don't do it. So why should we? It won't act as a deterrant, and in the rush to make our code look oh so adult and responsible, we'll just look like we're out of touch with the rest of society when it's a widespread, societal issue.

Everyone critisizes the AFL for sweeping their shit under the rug, but I bet you the players would prefer that instead of being thrown under a bus by several media organisations, players past and present, media analysts and pundits the moment something like this comes to light.

Why wouldn't they. They pretty much get away scot free with the whole thing in AFL. Their 3 strike policy is an absolute joke. Name and shame the dickheads and make them serve their penance. These guys are adults with plenty of training and education on these issues. How many chances do they get? Are clubs meant to baby sit them 24/7 to make sure they are being responsible adults? If we don't come down hard on them, then as a society are we saying, sure do drugs, we don't care about that as long as you can play football then its all good, hell everyone else is doing it. Its illegal and they are breaking the law. They deserve to be reprimanded and have their knuckles smacked a few times for the fuckup.

Why wouldn't they. They pretty much get away scot free with the whole thing in AFL. Their 3 strike policy is an absolute joke. Name and shame the dickheads and make them serve their penance. These guys are adults with plenty of training and education on these issues. How many chances do they get? Are clubs meant to baby sit them 24/7 to make sure they are being responsible adults? If we don't come down hard on them, then as a society are we saying, sure do drugs, we don't care about that as long as you can play football then its all good, hell everyone else is doing it. Its illegal and they are breaking the law. They deserve to be reprimanded and have their knuckles smacked a few times for the fuckup.
So you are suggesting a policy that anticipates inevitable behavioural fuckups by young men and shields them from wowser PC fallout is bad, because they should be publicly shamed for doing something thousands of people do each week, of all ages, of all sexes, of all professions?

It's probably more irresponsible than taking the drug itself - inviting national focus and scrutiny on a young athletes life, why what could go wrong there?

So you are suggesting a policy that anticipates inevitable behavioural fuckups by young men and shields them from wowser PC fallout is bad, because they should be publicly shamed for doing something thousands of people do each week, of all ages, of all sexes, of all professions?

There needs to be a line in the sand. Drugs are illegal. Its no different to being caught by the police. You are dragged up in front of a judge to explain yourself. The whole, I didn't know what I was doing or was too drunk the realise it is a pathetic excuse. Sterlo nailed it in a column today on the courier mail. Not only that, they are damaging the NRL brand. Something they get paid to uphold. Its exactly like you going out on Monday night and punching someone in public whilst dressed in your work uniform with your companies name written all over you. Its damaging to your employer who pays you. SKD paid a huge price for his stupidity, he got his 1.2 mill contract with the knights taken off the table just as it was about to be finalised.

Legendary halfback Sterling feels the punishments dished out to players for their transgressions were not harsh enough, saying they “get hit with a feather.” “The reputation of our game copped a hiding the last week,” Sterling said on Triple M show the Dead Set Legends.
“I think that the punishment should be commensurate with the damage done.
Our old players are better educated than they have ever been, so it just doesn’t wash with me, that ‘I made a mistake (excuse).’ “I’m over it, I think 12 games first offence and then second offence, two years, performance-enhancing, four years.
“I just think that you’ve got to draw a line in the sand, the game has got to make a stand.” Sterling said he didn’t understand the thinking behind a free first strike policy for players testing positive for drugs.
“If you ask every player who plays in the NRL whether it’s okay to take drugs, every one of them will say ‘of course not,’‘ Sterling said.
‘"So if you get caught you know you’ve done the wrong thing, you should cop a harsh penalty because the damage it does to our brand is immeasurable in some ways.”
Asked On Fox Sports NRL 360 about whether penalties for players were sufficient, Kangaroos Test back Darius Boyd said “I think they need to be capped in a certain way.
“There’s always these different ones coming up, whether it’s a ten grand, fifty grand fine or two weeks or eight weeks.
“There needs to be a certain line in the sand.”

There needs to be a line in the sand.
Sure, but what is that line? Banning them for life is simply stupid, won't stop or discourage people, and the PR we get from being out of touch with a widespread societal issue will be far more damaging than any PR we get from being "strong on drugs". Bank. On. It.

Drugs are illegal. Its no different to being caught by the police. You are dragged up in front of a judge to explain yourself. The whole, I didn't know what I was doing or was too drunk the realise it is a pathetic excuse. Sterlo nailed it in a column today on the courier mail. Not only that, they are damaging the NRL brand. Something they get paid to uphold. Its exactly like you going out on Monday night and punching someone in public whilst dressed in your work uniform with your companies name written all over you. Its damaging to your employer who pays you. SKD paid a huge price for his stupidity, he got his 1.2 mill contract with the knights taken off the table just as it was about to be finalised.

It's not exactly like that, though it is similar. These guys don't need to be wearing anything and they represent their club and NRL. It doesn't matter what time, day, part of this or any other country they are, they don't have an off switch until they retire, even then, they are "former NRL star..." Yes, that is part of the privilege of (mostly) earning good money and being famous and you do not have to choose that path if you don't want to. Having said that, people make mistakes, especially those that are famous and have everything tossed their way and are built up to think they are the best/invincible. I don't think someone should be punished FOR LIFE for a mistake. Nor do I think they should be thrown under the bus for a failed test. If they fail three times, sure - what difference does it make, 1 strike or 3 strikes? Mostly it just allows room to hang themselves while keeping a reasonable view on things.

Legendary halfback Sterling feels the punishments dished out to players for their transgressions were not harsh enough, saying they “get hit with a feather.” “The reputation of our game copped a hiding the last week,” Sterling said on Triple M show the Dead Set Legends.
“I think that the punishment should be commensurate with the damage done.
Our old players are better educated than they have ever been, so it just doesn’t wash with me, that ‘I made a mistake (excuse).

Perhaps it's time for you to exit the game then Sterlo, there will always be players with drug issues and there will always be players that make mistakes. If you are wanting players to be perfect while disregarding what you guys got upto in your day (maybe he didn't take drugs, but you are out of your mind if you think players didn't take rec drugs in the 80's, or any other era), then i don't think what you are offering is realistic.

“I just think that you’ve got to draw a line in the sand, the game has got to make a stand.” Sterling said he didn’t understand the thinking behind a free first strike policy for players testing positive for drugs.
“If you ask every player who plays in the NRL whether it’s okay to take drugs, every one of them will say ‘of course not,’‘ Sterling said.

I bet you if you asked them on an anonymous questionnaire, they would answer very differently.

The day we accept this behavior as "okay", is the day society goes down the drain.

There is a reason this stuff is illegal, and its not due to revenue raising. it ruins lives, it ruins families and as a society we need to stamp it out before it damages more people.

To be fair people ruin their lives with alcohol as well but it is legal.

Why can't we legalise drugs with the same restrictions upon its use as alcohol? If you drug and drive you lose your license and potentially go to jail. If you are drug and disorderly you get arrested. If you have drugs in your system when you are at work and get caught you are sacked.

Active Now

• Wolfie
  • GCBRONCO
  • Xzei
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Rambstien
  • HarryAllan7
  • Jedhead
  • Johnny92
  • Jazza
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Big Del
  • Lurker
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.