NRL Players and family members in hot water

The "wanting to charge their phones before going back out" is the sus bit imo. For a start, who does that? And secondly I believe the cops these days can pinpoint exactly when they have been put on charge. I remember in the Baden Clay case the cops were able to tell exactly when his phone had been put in a charger.

The "wanting to charge their phones before going back out" is the sus bit imo. For a start, who does that? And secondly I believe the cops these days can pinpoint exactly when they have been put on charge. I remember in the Baden Clay case the cops were able to tell exactly when his phone had been put in a charger.

Good point.

The fact that there were two of them makes it more believable too. I mean if you plan to make this up why would you be doing it with two people there so they can back up each others stories?

Why? Because she had a shower afterwards and played nice to get away? If that’s the standard for not being found guilty then nine out of ten rapists would be found innocent.

It's quite difficult to get a conviction in sexual assault cases, it's more difficult to prove than other crimes. Having a shower afterwards, not the smartest thing to do.

It's likely going to turn into "he says, she says" and when that happens, it becomes harder to get a conviction.

I can see JDB walking out of that courtroom a free man even if he did do it.

It's quite difficult to get a conviction in sexual assault cases, it's more difficult to prove than other crimes. Having a shower afterwards, not the smartest thing to do.

It's likely going to turn into "he says, she says" and when that happens, it becomes harder to get a conviction.

I never said it was a smart thing to do and I am sure no-one that does it thinks it is a smart thing to do, this is a weird thing for you to say though. People don't tend to do the 'smartest' things after experiencing trauma but that all seems to be besides the point to me.

I am aware of the difficulty of getting a conviction in a sexual assault case. For this reason you would have to imagine they have a fairly strong case for them to be prosecuting.

I can't imagine the bell end or his lawyers would be very happy about these details being leaked.

Having a shower afterwards does literally nothing, what are you talking about? de Belin's defense case won't be "We never engaged in sexual intercourse", he isn't denying they had sex, so them finding his DNA on/in her during the rape analysis is completely redundant information. The injuries and damage sustained during the intercourse is the only thing that matters, which is still prevalent after a shower, obviously.

If the only evidence they have is what she's said, it's going to be pretty tough to convert the charge into a conviction.

Really, I have no opinion either way, it's not at all fair to cast any aspersions on either side as no one here knows what happened that night. The only thing we do know is they all willingly went to that place together, after that it appears it's a case of he/she said. Whether that, along with any supporting evidence is enough to land a conviction, only time will tell. It is a very serious charge though, is he going to be allowed to play in the meantime? These cases can go a very long time.

If there is enough evidence and he is convicted, he should be de-registered for life no questions asked, no matter what the actual court sentence is.

It seems like a lot of people seem to want her to be right. I can't agree with that, better for her to have made the story up, this way 2 people stay innocent and 1 didn't actually go through a traumatic experience.

It is a very serious charge though, is he going to be allowed to play in the meantime?

Of course he will, the NRL always allow players to play if they've plead not guilty. That's where a part of the problem lies.

de Belin could be free to play a good chunk of the season after (allegedly) repeatedly raping a woman, yet Napa is apparently facing a suspension for having consensual sex. I don't really get it.

I don’t really agree with that. I am sure a scumbag defence lawyer will push that shit, but the fact that she left soon after getting to the club and went and got a rape kit seems pretty believable. Sounds like a very vulnerable woman who played along that everything was cool until she could get the **** to safety.
I'm not claiming otherwise nor passing judgement.
The circumstances around this case are strange, and something I have seldom heard of. The description of the assault is very believable, which puts me in her corner, but the quasi amicable way they went their separate ways, just messes with my mind.

Of course, I may be well off base, as I have no idea what it is like, but I'm just not sure how calm and collected a person can be after being violently and repeatedly raped as is recounted in the article.
It's not the shower in itself that I find weird, because many victims do find it soothing, but doing it immediately while still in the presence of her assaulters, then calling a Uber for them all, going for drinks, then going to a friend before finally going to the police... it just brings doubt into play, which is not good for her.

As much as I want rapist scumbags in jail (and I really, really do!), I want even less someone innocent in jail.
False accusations are unfortunately too common. Whether out of shame, revenge, spite, etc... they do occur, and while it pains me that the guilty may get away scot-free, the burden of proof must be on the accusation. The more serious the accusation, more solid the evidence must be for a conviction that will put a person behind bars for a long time (or even to death in certain countries).

I wish there was some way to determine with a high degree of certainty if a person is lying, especially in cases such as this, where there may only be the words of one side against those of the other, because if they claim the rough sex was consensual, I am not sure how much forensic science has advanced to be able to distinguish the difference.

Regardless, if the prosecution has a solid case and they are proven guilty, fucking throw the book at them, and lock them up as long as possible. Hopefully they suffer the same treatment in jail to make it even sweeter.

The circumstances around this case are strange, and something I have seldom heard of. The description of the assault is very believable, which puts me in her corner, but the quasi amicable way they went their separate ways, just messes with my mind.

Of course, I may be well off base, as I have no idea what it is like, but I'm just not sure how calm and collected a person can be after being violently and repeatedly raped as is recounted in the article.
It's not the shower in itself that I find weird, because many victims do find it soothing, but doing it immediately while still in the presence of her assaulters, then calling a Uber for them all, going for drinks, then going to a friend before finally going to the police... it just brings doubt into play, which is not good for her.

As much as I want rapist scumbags in jail (and I really, really do!), I want even less someone innocent in jail.
False accusations are unfortunately too common. Whether out of shame, revenge, spite, etc... they do occur, and while it pains me that the guilty may get away scot-free, the burden of proof must be on the accusation. The more serious the accusation, more solid the evidence must be for a conviction that will put a person behind bars for a long time (or even to death in certain countries).

I wish there was some way to determine with a high degree of certainty if a person is lying, especially in cases such as this, where there may only be the words of one side against those of the other, because if they claim the rough sex was consensual, I am not sure how much forensic science has advanced to be able to distinguish the difference.

Regardless, if the prosecution has a solid case and they are proven guilty, fucking throw the book at them, and lock them up as long as possible. Hopefully they suffer the same treatment in jail to make it even sweeter.

The amicable way they separated is fairly common. It’s a survival technique, people don’t want the perpetrator to think they will dob them in so they act like it is all ok.

The amicable way they separated is fairly common. It’s a survival technique, people don’t want the perpetrator to think they will dob them in so they act like it is all ok.
Maybe so but going for drinks after? Not keeping the Uber and going straight to the hospital/police? As long as justice is served I will be satisfied. It seems strange though. It just has an element of doubt from the reports.

Is it more common for women to accuse men of rape than it is for men to commit rape?
Our speculation is pointless. The case should rest on the physical evidence (which seems to be there in this case) and the credibility of the woman involved. I just hope that her testimony is not tainted by the judgemental attitudes that so many people seem to have.
“Oh she went to a flat on some bullshit excuse with 2 guys so she’s partly to blame. Oh she didn’t run crying into the street screaming for the cops so something is wrong with her story.” These are the arguments of the scumbag lawyers who have taught people that there’s always an excuse for shitty behaviour.
We don’t have to buy into it.

Is it more common for women to accuse men of rape than it is for men to commit rape?
Our speculation is pointless. The case should rest on the physical evidence (which seems to be there in this case) and the credibility of the woman involved. I just hope that her testimony is not tainted by the judgemental attitudes that so many people seem to have.
“Oh she went to a flat on some bullshit excuse with 2 guys so she’s partly to blame. Oh she didn’t run crying into the street screaming for the cops so something is wrong with her story.” These are the arguments of the scumbag lawyers who have taught people that there’s always an excuse for shitty behaviour.

You can already she the rubbish time she will have in court and the tactics that the defence will go with based on some of the opinions in this thread.

Why would someone put themselves through all this if they were making it up? What would she have to gain?

Fair enough if they were in a relationship and she was being vindinctive, but being this vindictive over a one night stand?

WTF? Way to miss the point. I'm not blaming the victim, but I am also not about to judge and condemn without being absolutely sure of their guilt, something you seem to be prone to...

You can already she the rubbish time she will have in court and the tactics that the defence will go with based on some of the opinions in this thread.

Why would someone put themselves through all this if they were making it up? What would she have to gain?

Fair enough if they were in a relationship and she was being vindinctive, but being this vindictive over a one night stand?
Guilt, shame and regret are highly powerful motivators. There are plenty of examples of this. Seems like you've already made up your mind based on one article though. What the **** ever happened to innocent until proven guilty?

Last edited:
WTF? Way to miss the point. I'm not blaming the victim, but I am also not about to judge and condemn without being absolutely sure of their guilt, something you seem to be prone to...

Guilt, shame and regret are highly powerful motivators. There are plenty of examples of this. Seems like you've already made up your mind based on one article though. What the **** ever happened to innocent until proven guilty?

No I haven't made up my mind and I haven't said he is guilty, for all I know based on the evidence we have been provided with is guilty of being a scumbag, possibly much more but possibly not.

What I am disputing is this insinuation that is being made that "oh she had a shower and didn't immediately run from the hotel screaming so she is making it up". As I have said there have been plenty of previous cases with similar actions after the fact (shower, acting like everything is ok until in a safe place) where the person has been raped, so I am arguing back against what some are suggesting.

Guilt, shame and regret are powerful motivators, absolutely, and that could be what is happening here. It has to be said though that this is a very traumatic experience to put yourself through with virtually no payoff if this is simply a way to deal with your regret. Going to the tabloids or privately approaching De Belin and/or the club for a payment would make a lot more sense to deal with shame and guilt then putting yourself through a rape kit, endless scrutiny, prolonged trauma and what will almost undoubtedly be a character assassination by the defense against her on the stand.

Active Now

• lynx000
  • Pablo
  • Waynesaurus
  • Tmac
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Lozza
  • Aldo
  • Allo
  • BroncosAlways
  • Nerd
  • Broncorob
  • Behind enemy lines
  • winslow_wong
  • Broncosgirl
  • Jazza
  • GCBRONCO
  • thenry
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.