NRL Players and family members in hot water

Dylan Walker has been 'stood down' until his case has been heard. The next hearing is on May 10th
Cronulla were fined $500,000 for the Shane Flanagan saga.
Cronulla were fined $750,000 for the Salary Cap breach. $500,000 of that has been suspended since they self-reported.
Cronulla have also had their Salary Cap reduced by $707,000, which will be spread across 2019 and 2020.
Wests Tigers were fined $375,000 for the Salary Cap breach.
Wests Tigers have also had their Salary Cap reduced by $639,000, which will be spread across 2019 and 2020.
Wests Tigers CEO Justin Pascoe has been suspended until June 19.
Zane Musgrove has been refused registration until his case has been heard.
Dylan Napa has been fined 10% of his salary.
Scott Bolton has been suspended for ten weeks and 5% of his salary. If he complies with the NRL and agrees to meet with every club during the Magic Round in Brisbane, that penalty will be halved.

Scott Bolton has been suspended for ten weeks and 5% of his salary. If he complies with the NRL and agrees to meet with every club during the Magic Round in Brisbane, that penalty will be halved.

Wait.. so if Bolton meets with clubs during the Magic Round (Early May), he's able to play in round 6 (Late April)?

The Cronulla and Tigers penalty is consistent with the Sea Eagles, but it hardly seems like a sufficient deterrent. Any financial penalty would just be covered by all the success that comes from winning a premiership. What would 350,000 get you on the NRL market? A solid first grade player? Maybe a prized junior? Even the lump sum would barely cover Shaun Johnson's salary.

Sounds odd doesn't it?

I wonder if he'd be silly enough to dog it?

Are we sure they don't just mean the financial penalty will be halved? It doesn't really specify. It would be extremely odd if he's allowed to play several weeks before the Magic Round he'd reportedly have to do his tour of shame at..

More inconsistencies from the NRL. No surprise.

Very little has changed.

Are we sure they don't just mean the financial penalty will be halved? It doesn't really specify. It would be extremely odd if he's allowed to play several weeks before the Magic Round he'd reportedly have to do his tour of shame at..

The media are reporting five weeks.

It makes sense as well. Why would you agree to such an embarrassing ordeal just to receive a slightly reduced monetary fine? The reduced suspension would be a far greater incentive.

It makes sense as well. Why would you agree to such an embarrassing ordeal just to receive a slightly reduced monetary fine? The reduced suspension would be a far greater incentive.

Doesn't make sense really. I'd understand if they said "Banned for 5 weeks, but doubled if you don't do you 'community service'" Why would they give the player a choice? It's soft for the sake of being soft.

I am not sure about all this, bolton's punishment has already been served and the morons at the nrl now want to make this retrospective... and halving it by speaking to other clubs??? Wtf.... be interesting to see the cowboys position. He has nothing to do with the other clubs and shouldn't be scapegoated to them.
I also think the stance on Walker and de Belin by the nrl will be met with serious challenge. It's hard to imagine their isn't a top line law firm out there already licking their lips with a counter claim against the nrl.
Effectively what greenturd and that other flog Beattie have said is "guilty"
Now if they are found guilty then throw them out however the course of justice must be followed here.
I reckon there is a big shit storm ready to unfold. Not to mention some serious litigation against the nrl.

I am not sure about all this, bolton's punishment has already been served and the morons at the nrl now want to make this retrospective... and halving it by speaking to other clubs??? Wtf.... be interesting to see the cowboys position. He has nothing to do with the other clubs and shouldn't be scapegoated to them.
I also think the stance on Walker and de Belin by the nrl will be met with serious challenge. It's hard to imagine their isn't a top line law firm out there already licking their lips with a counter claim against the nrl.
Effectively what greenturd and that other flog Beattie have said is "guilty"
Now if they are found guilty then throw them out however the course of justice must be followed here.
I reckon there is a big shit storm ready to unfold. Not to mention some serious litigation against the nrl.
I'm no lawyer but I reckon they'll be OK. Sure, some lawyers will try and make a buck out of it and recommend suing but the NRL would also have legal advice and its not as if they're breaking new ground here. Plenty of professions have similar stand down policies.

A bit of fun for you, given there is a bit about court cases across a number of threads:

tenor.gif

NRL gender adviser Catharine Lumby says some rugby league players are 'education-proof'

The NRL's long-term gender adviser has said some players may well be "education-proof", following a "horror stretch" of off-field incidents.
With several players facing assault charges resulting from the off-season, Professor Catharine Lumby — who has conducted evidence-based player education for the NRL over the past decade — said she did not know what more could be done.
"I can only conclude, I'm afraid, that a tiny minority of players are education-proof," she told the ABC.
"They know what to do but they don't care, apparently."
As the NRL launched its 2019 season in Sydney last night, it was still reeling from an off-season filled with player indiscretions.
Jarryd Hayne, Jack de Belin, Zane Musgrove, Liam Coleman and Dylan Walker are all facing assault charges.
The incidents prompted the NRL to announce a new policy last week that players charged with serious offences would be forced to stand aside on full pay, pending the outcome of legal proceedings.
That decision is being challenged again today in the Federal Court by de Belin, who claims the policy removes his presumption of innocence.
Just this week, Penrith Panther's player Tyrone May was charged with filming and circulating videos of sex acts with two women without their consent. The charges relate to alleged encounters in February and May last year.
'I have seen it this bad before'

Professor Lumby described player behaviour as "a crisis" for the game but said "we've seen it before".
"It's incredibly disappointing because if you take a longitudinal look, adverse incidents have gone down enormously over the past five years."
The NRL is spending $8 million a year on player education programs in an attempt to instil cultural change.
Professor Lumby has overseen three large research projects identifying current social attitudes and behaviours to better guide players.
Her research has shown that 95 per cent of players actually do the right thing.

However, she said, the latest off-field dramas had been "a big wake-up call to do better, try harder and to do a really strong review of where we're at".
"We've got a lot of things in place, but there's always room for improvement."
Professor Lumby said she had "zero tolerance for players who don't get it".
"Whether they like it or not they are role models," she said.
"They've got the privilege of playing in an elite sport, and if they don't like it they should get out."
Sports Minister Bridget McKenzie applauded the NRL for the steps it had taken to pull players into line, but said it would take time for the culture to change.
"If we're serious as a country about getting more women and girls into sport and participating in all those great games, then our elite male athletes need to be showing women respect," she said.

Source: ABC

Of course a small percentage of players are still going to do stupid shit, regardless of the rules. It's no different to society. Therefore I conclude that a percentage of society as a whole is "education-proof". Where's my cushy job?

Also, there has never, ever, ever, been as much scrutiny over players' actions. The media makes its money from digging up dirt, there is a financial incentive to find it. If all of a sudden police officers were given direct financial incentive to detect speeding drivers, you bet your arse there will be a huge spike in people being done for it. It doesn't mean the instance of people speeding is actually increasing.

Also, I remembered something the other day. Remember Konrad Hurrell publicly sharing a video of him getting sucked off? IIRC, while driving too. It was a relatively big story, but only because it was one of the more lurid things to have come out of league at the time. But there was no where near the crisis-level talks like we're having now.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ko...ver-social-media-sex-tape-20140505-zr50m.html

Last edited:
Something that gets lost in all this is the apparent acquiescence of the women involved. In the videos I've 'researched' allegedly involving certain players I did not see any objection to the treatment. In the feet in head video there didn't appear to be any rejection of the actions nor was there any visible objection in the headjob shoving video. I'm not saying what's right or wrong and I'm only commenting on what I've seen. Are women merely playing a role in a male game in the belief that this is what men want or are they willingly initiating things or are willing participants in a rough version of uninhibited sex?

I wish I could have that job. I wonder how much she gets paid to say the obvious.

Something that gets lost in all this is the apparent acquiescence of the women involved. In the videos I've 'researched' allegedly involving certain players I did not see any objection to the treatment. In the feet in head video there didn't appear to be any rejection of the actions nor was there any visible objection in the headjob shoving video. I'm not saying what's right or wrong and I'm only commenting on what I've seen. Are women merely playing a role in a male game in the belief that this is what men want or are they willingly initiating things or are willing participants in a rough version of uninhibited sex?

There is no debate to the consent to the sex, it is the sharing of the recordings without their consent or knowledge that is the issue.

Active Now

• TimWhatley
  • Broncorob
  • Financeguy
  • Santa
  • Brotherdu
  • Wolfie
  • Ejbroncos
  • Bish
  • Tim K
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.