NRL Players and family members in hot water

The sport don't make the rules, you sign up to the WADA code administered by ASADA and you play by their rules or don't be a sport in Australia.

Sharpe was the GM of the Raiders he is a league man- do you honestly think he's sitting there saying really want to harm league might sit on this positive test until we have a pandemic and the game is closed down- then when it starts again I will announce it?
I do not know what he was thinking.
What I do know is he has been asked to explain the extraordinary time lag between conducting the test and announcing its result and he hasn't even given the courtesy of a reply.

That is a fair point but I still have great difficulty accepting the timing as just coincidental with the restart of the season.
If the season had not been interrupted by Coronavirus I really think this announcement would have been made months ago.
ASADA has plenty of form for this sort of stunt the highwater mark or should that be the low water mark being the farcical 'blackest day in Australian sport' farce which was clearly manipulated by the then federal government for political purposes.
Apart from all that I would presume that assuming these drugs are illegal any investigation would be the provence of the police. ASADA should just handover whatever information they have at the time to the police and then step back and concentrate on handling the test reults.
None of this should let Xerri of the hook if he has done the wrong thing but in the broader interests of the game it could have been handled much better.

The start of the season proper was only months ago, when ASADA had no idea the season would be suspended. If they had the results all that time and were simply awaiting the ‘opportune’ moment to grab the most headlines, I imagine the start of the season would have been a good time, however they clearly didn’t release the results 2 days out then.

So either they had the results then and we’re hoping for an even better time to release to maximise media exposure, or they we’re pursuing investigative strategies or they didn’t and had no information to release. It’s only Hooper’s word, but he said the specific combination of drugs taken were very complex and it has taken this long to unravel it all, as the official explanation.

As to handing over investigations, I am sure they have provided information to police, but they have their own investigations to conduct as well. Player, medical staff and coaching interviews, phone examinations, bank records and on-going testing and so forth. I imagine if a club in a high profile sport gets a positive test, I imagine protocol would require an immediate test of every player in the squad, particularly after the last round of Cronulla PED issues...
[automerge]1590647641[/automerge]
I do not know what he was thinking.
What I do know is he has been asked to explain the extraordinary time lag between conducting the test and announcing its result and he hasn't even given the courtesy of a reply.

James Hooper on Fox said the official explanation is that the specific combination of drugs required very lengthy and complex testing and those results have only just been unveiled.

Last edited:
ASADA is not the guilty party here, Xerri is. Taking focus off him and putting it onto ASADA is not productive and the talking heads in the game who are sticking up for Xerri is making me sick. I'm yet to hear Rothfield's take on this but it should be gold. Xerri is the cheat, not ASADA.

Honestly who gives a **** how long ASADA took? Don’t cheat and it won’t be an issue.

Yep exactly, the NRL should be taking the same stance on this as well. Don’t want your name in the headlines just before the seasons about to start? Don’t cheat you fucking idiot!!

If I am reading the below correctly I think it means he may have taken only 1 drug and the other substances possibly are in his system because of the that 1 drug.
He is still a dirty drug cheat but it is a far cry from the cocktail of drugs that Kent, Hooper and co. have been telling us about.
Then again, I may be reading it incorrectly.

The substances found in Bronson Xerri's A-sample
  • Testosterone: Produced naturally by the body and helps build muscle and bone mass. Synthetic forms can be injected, applied in cream form or taken orally.
  • Androstenedione: A steroid hormone used to increase the production of the testosterone in an effort to enhance athletic performance.
  • Etiocholanolone: Similar to Androstenedione, in that it is another principal metabolite for testosterone.
  • 5b-androstane-3a, 17b-diol: Found in urine samples collected for anti-doping purposes, where someone has moderately elevated testosterone and epitestosterone.
  • Generally speaking, the bottom three drugs are all byproducts of elevated levels of testosterone, which has been found in Xerri's samples. How added testosterone got into his system to produce these results, and whether he was aware, is still unknown.

NRL 2020
'Ben Johnson bad': Xerri's cocktail of performance-enhancing drugs
Add to shortlist
International doping expert Catherine Ordway said Xerri now had two options, to admit or deny that he had involvement in his positive readings.
"He can say, 'my coach sold this to me' or 'I got it from another player' and dob someone else in so to speak. If he can provide evidence he may be eligible for a reduced sanction," Ordway said.
"It's very rare for a B sample not to return the same result of an A. It can happen but it is rare."
Ordway said a possible reason for the delay between testing and the notification from ASADA was the types of drugs found in Xerri's system. Being testosterone-based, she said ASADA would have had to take multiple tests across a period of time to find Xerri's normal level of testosterone and to see, if at some stage, there had been an unnatural spike.

Being testosterone-based, she said ASADA would have had to take multiple tests across a period of time to find Xerri's normal level of testosterone and to see, if at some stage, there had been an unnatural spike.
This bit makes very little sense. If a player is always on the juice then how would the normal level be identified?

Maybe they have test results from previous testing. I have no clue about any of this except what the media tells us.

Some journos are still trying to soften it a bit with the recvering from injury, young guy feeling pressure etc BS.
If what was said on 360 tonight is correct he was outright cheating from a young age which raises a few questions if true.
Who was paying for the drugs.
Who was advising him on dosage.
Was he injecting, if so who was doing that for him.
How did the clubs/coaches etc not know when a member of the public twigged.

There is a lot more to come on this. Xerri has not once said he will fight it or issued a denial of any sort which suggests he is guilty.

Most of these kind of drugs are relatively cheap. Any Joe blow on the street with bad financial priorities can afford them.

A quick google or listening to bro science from someone else already taking them is where most people would be advised on the dosage.

People will sometimes get mates or their misses to inject them, however plenty of people self administer the injections. It’s quite simple and their are quite a few convenient options as to where your inject. Jabbing yourself in the thigh is so easy that many diabetic children do it themselves I a regular basis.

how do the coaches not know? Don’t ask don’t tell, perhaps?There are thousands of bosses across Australia who are unaware of their staff’s drug use, performance or otherwise.

This bit makes very little sense. If a player is always on the juice then how would the normal level be identified?
Most of these kind of drugs are relatively cheap. Any Joe blow on the street with bad financial priorities can afford them.

A quick google or listening to bro science from someone else already taking them is where most people would be advised on the dosage.

People will sometimes get mates or their misses to inject them, however plenty of people self administer the injections. It’s quite simple and their are quite a few convenient options as to where your inject. Jabbing yourself in the thigh is so easy that many diabetic children do it themselves I a regular basis.

how do the coaches not know? Don’t ask don’t tell, perhaps?There are thousands of bosses across Australia who are unaware of their staff’s drug use, performance or otherwise.
Yeah, I was looking at it from the POV that Hooper was correct ( I know ) and he has been into it for a few years which means he would be 16 ish when he started. So that's pretty full on for a kid to be sourcing testosterone, having the cash and learning how to inject safely ( if he was injecting ) .
Anyway, bottom line here is let's hope he get's what's coming . Best case he takes a few Cronulla players with him and they get a payback for the peptide thing.

Yeah, I was looking at it from the POV that Hooper was correct ( I know ) and he has been into it for a few years which means he would be 16 ish when he started. So that's pretty full on for a kid to be sourcing testosterone, having the cash and learning how to inject safely ( if he was injecting ) .
Anyway, bottom line here is let's hope he get's what's coming . Best case he takes a few Cronulla players with him and they get a payback for the peptide thing.

I completely understand your point but this stuff is really easy to get in certain circles. Fitness and league would be top of the list of easy to get circles. They’d have failed older boys with shitty morals pushing it on them, friends, friends of friends, other players. You’re right that it’s a bit of an extreme case but I’m sure it’s not as rare as we both hoped it would be.

both Addo-Carr and Mitchell are challenging their both their NRL and Police fines for not social distancing.

here is a quote from their lawyer:

“We’re clearly not satisfied with the determination made in relation to our response to the breach notice and we are seeking to have that reviewed,” Tabchouri told The Sun-Herald.

“We believe they haven’t taken into account a lot of the matters we raised in response to their breach notice. We’ve elected to take the [police infringement notice] to court. Our view is that [the NRL] matter shouldn’t be determined until it [the court matter] has been determined.

“The NRL cannot assume the same jurisdiction to override a court in circumstances where someone has decided to defend a matter.”

Football players are the dumbest people on Earth. When saying this, I have factored in things like 5G protestors.

I love how those 5G protesting idiots have literally gone to CBDs where the most extensive 5G networks exist, to demonstrate about how afraid of 5G effects they supposedly are...

Last edited:
To be honest I'm still worried about 5G too. Not because of any corona reasons obviously though.

A few years ago a friend of mine’s son was told by a certain QRL club that he needed to bulk up by any means necessary before they will look at allowing him to try out. They implied to do “whatever it takes”, told him who he could talk to about quickly increasing size and once he’d gained weight he could come back and they’d consider looking at him to trial. All off the books, all deniable. He was 16 or 17.

A few years ago a friend of mine’s son was told by a certain QRL club that he needed to bulk up by any means necessary before they will look at allowing him to try out. They implied to do “whatever it takes”, told him who he could talk to about quickly increasing size and once he’d gained weight he could come back and they’d consider looking at him to trial. All off the books, all deniable. He was 16 or 17.

While we are opening up about friend of friend stories that people can chose to believe based on no evidence or disregard, I know a guy who was a junior at a canine related nsw club and would go on to be the most fringe of first graders. Played half a dozen games about a decade ago. Openly spoke about being roided up to the tits and would laugh if you acted surprised that “everyone” at the club were on it.

Active Now

• Mustafur
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.