NRL Players and family members in hot water

3DF4A61E 1E98 42A6 8301 03724C67E5A4

Some people are easily offended. If he called her something about her weight/looks it'd be equally offensive.

Wellbeing education incoming in 5...4...3

Serious question though, how does one look like a tv show? There is something missing in this story surely.

I wondered the exact same thing tbh.

TBF, we’re talking about blokes with so many concussions that they’re barely distinguishable from single-cell amoebas 🦠

It's emblematic of the casual racism to Asians in Australia. While not implicitly demeaning like going 'ching chong muthafucka' in an Asian persons face, it's more akin to saying 'hey chopsticks' or 'hey kung fu'. Especially to a stranger, it's just ignorant and dumb. Hardly the crime of the century, but certainly just plain dumb.

She should have just replied 'hey olive breath' and had done with it 😉.

If the reporting is true, it doesn't even sound like she was massively offended by it. she was more in the "**** off dickhead" mode. it was her sister and friends that encouraged her to take it seriously.

I had to laugh at the bolded from her sisters social media post:

“My dad used to tell stories of racism he faced when he first moved here 30 years ago, my sisters and I can all recount racism we suffered throughout school,” the social media post said.

“A quick google shows you are quite the footie player and even represented our home state.

No doubt you are (a) role model to me. As such you need to be held accountable for your words and actions.”

Rapana plead guilty to drink driving at Maroochydore on September 27.

He admitted to police he had been drinking before he got behind the wheel and blew a reading of 0.098.

Fined $500 and disqualified from driving for 3 months

This is what his lawyer said at sentancing:

“When I report back to the NRL integrity unit today if there is no conviction recorded it will look better on Mr Rapana,” he said.

they apparently also tried to play the Canada card saying Rapana "had ideas" of playing Super League in Canada and a conviction might stop him being permitted entry into the country

This is what the judge said at sentancing:

“I see that because you are involved in the profession rugby league team I accept that they will punish you for this because … you are seen as a representative of the club and the sport in general and they clamp down on anyone that misbehaves in public,” he said.

He admitted to police he had been drinking before he got behind the wheel and blew a reading of 0.098.

“When I report back to the NRL integrity unit today if there is no conviction recorded it will look better on Mr Rapana,” he said.

they apparently also tried to play the Canada card saying Rapana "had ideas" of playing Super League in Canada and a conviction might stop him being permitted entry into the country

“I see that because you are involved in the profession rugby league team I accept that they will punish you for this because … you are seen as a representative of the club and the sport in general and they clamp down on anyone that misbehaves in public,” he said.

God I hate that defence arguing for no conviction.

Don’t break the law, you won’t get convicted and ruin your prospects in life

God I hate that defence arguing for no conviction.

Don’t break the law, you won’t get convicted and ruin your prospects in life

Drink driving is an emotive subject. It'd be far easier to just say "If you've drunken today, you cannot drive until 7am the next day" rather than relate it like we do to "one per hour" or some weird BMI calculation. Loss of 10kg in weight can affect your BAC by 0.01-0.015 without realising the impact.

Indeed, some countries (UK, USA) seem to get along just fine with 0.08 as the limit and some have zero tolerance. I do feel that it should be 0.00 until you're 21 in Australia and perhaps slightly higher in when you're older (0.06?).

But, to pull 0.098 - with a build like this and still drive? That's easily 5-6 drinks in. If QLD throws people into court for 0.051 under 'zero tolerance' laws established earlier in the decade, how can this be in the public interest to fine $500 and disqualify 3 months? If not a conviction, maybe it needs to be 12 month disqualification.

That judge is a full on comedian.

Now we look forward to the announcement of a slap on the wrist or as per normal for non-Broncos players, nothing.

Indeed, some countries (UK, USA) seem to get along just find with 0.08 as the limit and some have zero tolerance. I do feel that it should be 0.00 until you're 21 in Australia and perhaps slightly higher in Australia.

I don't mind the way we do it in Australia (or at least QLD), with the 0.00 limit on your L plates and the full 3 years of your P plates, regardless of age. so that essentially gives you 4 years of driving experience before you can have any alcohol in your system.

But, to pull 0.098 - with a build like this and still drive? That's easily 5-6 drinks in. If QLD throws people into court for 0.051 under 'zero tolerance' laws established earlier in the decade, how can this be in the public interest to fine $500 and disqualify 3 months? If not a conviction, maybe it needs to be 12 month disqualification.

sounds like the Judge is taking the likely high monetary fine from the NRL into consideration (at least high in terms of what this offence would normally attract from the courts) ... bit of a gamble though with Vlandys in charge

Yeah, I’m not either. Racism is something I could have been accused of many, many years ago. I’m pretty sensitive to it these days as I work with a large array of international students. Opinions on the severity of racism are often given by Caucasian males, which is ironic considering our lack of experience in the matter from a victim’s POV.
My parents are of a Russian/Ukrainian background, we moved here when I was little kid and I grew up poor too. People give me shit about it sometimes as a joke, and it doesn't bother me, it's always been the Australian way to make lighthearted fun of people.

I wouldn't yell at an Asian person on the street "squid games" because that would be racist AF. I can't believe this is up for discussion.

But is that what is is being suggested here?

Unread

Active Now

• LGH
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.