NRL Rumour and Movements - 2019

Brisbane
Expecting confirmation of something in league? Don't hold your breath BP, you'll die. Seems like since you have been taught the right way to do it, you've forgotten how the NRL and it's clubs work. They lie, they twist the truth, or they don't say anything. And we're in the rumour thread, and everyone knows that Dobbo comes with a massive red flag warning that he's never been right. But trying to fact check a fresh rumour is kind of desperate looking, given it's currently at rumour stage.

Brisbane
My issue is that fans buy whatever Ben Dobbin says and then start spreading misinformation like stating everything bar the 600k value has been confirmed.

My issue is that fans buy whatever Ben Dobbin says and then start spreading misinformation like stating everything bar the 600k value has been confirmed.
has anyone actually ever bought anything that Dobbo has said ....

it seems to be a running joke around here that his accuracy rate is less that zero ... in fact most people seem to put him on the same level as the Lurker, the Mole and Daniel O'Dowell

Okay, everything is confirmed except the $600k figure, and that the NRL have the power to force them to forfeit games if they're not under the cap.

The latter doesn't seem to me to be as outrageous as it some people seem to think. Preventing them from playing is really a last resort should the Storm be (1) unable to shift enough players to be compliant, or (2) be arrogant enough to dig their heels in and demand they play for competition points while being over the salary cap.

So while it is not confirmed, it is certainly plausible, and in my opinion worthy of discussion, especially in a "rumours" thread.

Last edited:
Brisbane
Okay, everything is confirmed except the $600k figure, and that the NRL have the power to force them to forfeit games if they're not under the cap.

The latter doesn't seem to me to be as outrageous as it some people seem to think. Preventing them from playing is really a last resort should the Storm be (1) unable to shift enough players to be compliant, or (2) be arrogant enough to dig their heels in and demand they play for competition points while being over the salary cap.

So while it is not confirmed, it is certainly plausible, and in my opinion worthy of discussion, especially in a "rumours" thread.
On that last point, I don't have an issue with acknowledging the rumour. I have an issue with Dobbo reporting it the way he has because people accept it as fact and it becomes a game of Chinese whispers - as demonstrated in this very thread.

As I said earlier, I believe it's far more plausible to believe that Melbourne are looking to move Sam Kasiano, Cheyse Blair and Patrick Kaufusi on because they're simply mediocre players. That's all the media is really going on at this stage. If they were looking to move on quality players then maybe I'd be more inclined to believe the speculation.

The Storm were reportedly 200k over the salary cap for 2019, but have rectified that by releasing Sam Kasiano to Catalans.

They are now cap compliant

Last edited:
Unless his deal was back-ended. $100k first year, $300k second year, average $200k. Though I thought the NRL cracked down on the more unbalanced ones.

Anyone know if NRL clubs need to contribute to player’s wages if an ESL club signs them for less than their current contract value?

Jedhead

NRL Player
According to Kemp Gutho was offered 500k a year over 2 years. That's quite the lowball.
I like his out and out die hard attitude, but for a guy who has went through two ACL reconstruction he is a mighty big risk to be sinking huge salary cap coin into. It's kinda Russian roulette as to when he might breakdown again. He deserves to go on for years to come but I don't see it unfortunately.

Alec

International Rep
Deep down we all knew we'd be stuck with McCullough until he finally retired and his reign of terror is over.

Broncs have some decent enough kids coming through. None may be world beaters but all the Broncs really need is someone who is a McCullough beater, shouldn't be that hard once they mature.

Hopefully Paix sees the light and converts into a hooker.

Broncs have some decent enough kids coming through. None may be world beaters but all the Broncs really need is someone who is a McCullough beater, shouldn't be that hard once they mature.

Hopefully Paix sees the light and converts into a hooker.
I'm still holding out hope that Jayden Nikorima will be our Hooker lol, I've always thought that would he his best position after watching him for the U20's and Roosters.

Get your head straight Jayden!!

Wolfie

State of Origin Rep
Reece Robson --> Cowboys for 4 years
Blayke Brailey --> Re-signed with Sharks for 3 years

There goes the 2 best young hookers on the market. The only real good one left is Fainu.
I'd still like to think we could get Grant from the Storm. I dont see a pathway there for him tbh.

I'm still holding out hope that Jayden Nikorima will be our Hooker lol, I've always thought that would he his best position after watching him for the U20's and Roosters.

Get your head straight Jayden!!
Absolutely agree but he is very much in the blown it and wasted all his talent camp sadly.