NRL Player Movements & Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh ****, GRAB HIM NOW. If the Warriors' whole operation wasn't so shit, they'd have won a couple of premierships by now, with SJ leading them there. I'd go so far as to let TPJ walk for SJ.

Me too, and I fucking love TPJ.

Do we really want to fork out big money to another inconsistent half?

At least he is a halfback

Who needs a 5/8 to hold his hand and lead him around the park.
We currently have a 5/8 who needs a halfback to do this for him. Who the **** is going to hold both their hands in the same team?

We’d be mad not to try and get him for 2019 (doubt the Warriors would let him go, but they’re pretty dumb so maybe they’ll take Niko in a trade). 2020 hinges on how our young halves step up.

Not going to lie, I have a man crush on SJ. Sack TPJ, sack Macca. Sign SJ.

Make it happen. If he wasn't at the only club that manages to be more inconsistent than Canberra, he'd have had a special career.
I would sign him in a heart beat. Please make it happen. Seibs, get on fucking phone mate.

Just kidding, don't sack TPJ. But just sign SJ FFS.

Last edited:
At least he is a halfback
Kodi Nikorima is playing halfback over him in the NZ team. Johnson is another five-eighth with a running game and shows up in clutch moments as often as Hunt did. I’m curious to see how he’d go with us but you have to be honest about his abilities.

Kodi Nikorima is playing halfback over him in the NZ team. Johnson is another five-eighth with a running game and shows up in clutch moments as often as Hunt did. I’m curious to see how he’d go with us but you have to be honest about his abilities.

He has a better kicking game than Hunt, a better running game, doesn't choke like Hunt in big games (although he does go missing), has only played in a chaotic environment behind an average pack whereas Hunt played for the Broncos and has a very good pack at the drags yet is still shit, etc.

He has a better kicking game than Hunt, a better running game, doesn't choke like Hunt in big games (although he does go missing), has only played in a chaotic environment behind an average pack whereas Hunt played for the Broncos and has a very good pack at the drags yet is still shit, etc.
Makes him look better when you judge everything against Hunt, but far less good when you judge his clutch moments and ability to carry a team which is basically the same as Hunt.

I think you're a bit harsh on Johnson, he has turned in some clutch performances before, such as the elimination final in Melb, and I'm sure he's had a few crackers for NZ as well.

But you're right - Nikorima is being picked over him and we're not satisfied with his performances here in Brisbane. Johnson is like an elite version of Nikorima.

...but I'd still be tempted to give it a shot. He does a lot of things better than Nikorima.

I think you're a bit harsh on Johnson, he has turned in some clutch performances before, such as the elimination final in Melb, and I'm sure he's had a few crackers for NZ as well.

But you're right - Nikorima is being picked over him and we're not satisfied with his performances here in Brisbane. Johnson is like an elite version of Nikorima.

...but I'd still be tempted to give it a shot. He does a lot of things better than Nikorima.
Hunt had a few clutch moments too. Just not when it mattered

Hunt had a few clutch moments too. Just not when it mattered
Agreed - but are you saying there's no part of you that would go hmmmm maybe he's worth a shot?

Makes him look better when you judge everything against Hunt, but far less good when you judge his clutch moments and ability to carry a team which is basically the same as Hunt.
I don't think that's fair man. SJ is way ahead of Hunt as a player. You can't ignore that he's been at a useless club his whole career with awful coaches and a generally trash team that's full of inconsistent players. He's had a fair few clutch moments too. He's not the best no 7 there ever was, but as far as potential, age, opportunity, he's 29, the only other half backs who would be better choices (maybe, probably) are DCE and Cleary, but they are both off the market.

In a good environment, with a top tier coach, I reckon he could easily take his game to a new level.

When Hunt, Taylor, and Munster are all getting over a mil I reckon SJ on 800-1mil is a good buy. He has faults, but it's not like there's a better option on the market or the comp (outside of Cronk who is in his mid 30s). I'm not sure who would be better for us that we could realistically sign, even if someone like Arey who seems to fit the mould of the perfect 'organising' HB people here want, he's not nearly as good as SJ overall: he's literally a kick bot with no threatening running game and a very average passing game, an older Taylor basically.

better choices (maybe, probably) are DCE and Cleary.

Even those two are arguable. Cleary is showing Taylor like signs in terms of being overrated (I still rate him, but he runs the risk of not being the top tier player everyone pegs him as).

Last edited:
I don't think that's fair man. SJ is way ahead of Hunt as a player. You can't ignore that he's been at a useless club his whole career with awful coaches and a generally trash team that's full of inconsistent players. He's had a fair few clutch moments too. He's not the best no 7 there ever was, but as far as potential, age, opportunity, he's 29, the only other half backs who would be better choices (maybe, probably) are DCE and Cleary, but they are both off the market.

In a good environment, with a top tier coach, I reckon he could easily take his game to a new level.
Like I said, I’m curious I just have my worries when it comes to him being what we need. We don’t really have a top tier coach anymore. Plus it seems like Maguire might be taking him to the Tigers. No doubt his hero Benji will be in his ear telling him how great the club is as well. But if he’s an option he’s better than our current ones

Even those two are arguable. Cleary is showing Taylor like signs in terms of being overrated (I still rate him, but he runs the risk of not being the top tier player everyone pegs him as).
Tend to agree with you on Cleary.

I would still sign him if he was on offer as he's very solid and would be perfect for us - but thus far that's all he's been. Solid. He did his job in Origin and has played mostly solid, 7-7.5/10 performances. He definitely can go to the next level, but has yet to so far (probably because he's only been playing 2 seasons, so will cut him some slack).

DCE tho, he's a good player and always has been. Not much to work with at Manly between the squad and the boardroom/coaching debacle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Alec
  • Hurrijo
  • Fitzy
  • broncoscope
  • Wolfie
  • whykickamoocow
  • lynx000
  • LittleDavey
  • Skathen
  • Behold
  • BroncosAlways
  • Strop
  • Mighty Bronx
  • Foordy
  • I bleed Maroon
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Xzei
  • broncos4life
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.