NRL Player Movements & Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.
We don’t really have a top tier coach anymore.

MU4xRJN.gif

Yes. Because he's an excellent half, who has never had a good coach through his career.

Don't people call Ivan Cleary one of the best coaches around? Or is that just the media

Don't people call Ivan Cleary one of the best coaches around? Or is that just the media

Have never heard or seen the words "best coach" and the names "Ivan Cleary" in the same sentence before I read your post.

judge for yourself ...

he has been coaching for 12 years, zero premierships to show for it and a 48% winning record

Cleary's tenure proves Nashy's point. For half a season, Cleary had Johnson playing like an elite half capable of winning big matches. I wouldn't consider Ivan one of the premier coaches, but he's certainly had more going for him than McLennan, Elliott, McFadden and Kearney.

Johnson also seems much better at representative level where he's got a quality forward pack to play behind.

In saying that, surely a club like Canberra or Canterbury-Bankstown would be able to out-bid anyone? Even Melbourne if Smith retires would have more cash than the Broncos.

Cleary's tenure proves Nashy's point. For half a season, Cleary had Johnson playing like an elite half capable of winning big matches. I wouldn't consider Ivan one of the premier coaches, but he's certainly had more going for him than McLennan, Elliott, McFadden and Kearney.

Johnson also seems much better at representative level where he's got a quality forward pack to play behind.

In saying that, surely a club like Canberra or Canterbury-Bankstown would be able to out-bid anyone? Even Melbourne if Smith retires would have more cash than the Broncos.

Only way we'd be in the SJ sweep stakes is if we release Bird back to the Sharks I'd imagine.

And there's definitely an argument to be made that it'd be completely worth it. The only question mark would be the left centre conundrum, which we've been struggling with since the almighty Jack Reed retired.

Last edited:
Cronulla are notorious for making other clubs foot the bill, so I can't see that working out.

Swap Bird for SJ, find a club willing to take on most of Bird's salary and make NZ pay part of SJ's salary. This is not in the realms of impossibility.

The problem with that scenario is that there's clubs out there who would be willing to sign SJ outright. Why would the Warriors disadvantage themselves?

Look at Manly. They released Blake Green thinking they could get Mitchell Pearce. Newcastle ended up offering a more lucrative offer and the Sea Eagles were left red-faced.

The Warriors have said they will sign a new half if SJ doesn't take a pay cut.

Swap Bird for SJ, find a club willing to take on most of Bird's salary and make NZ pay part of SJ's salary. This is not in the realms of impossibility.

Why would NZ pay for SJ if he is no longer under contract and his previous contract expired?

Lol contracts are worth about as much as a sheet of toilet paper with someones skiddy on it these days

Smart by the Knights, but they'd be paying him massive overs.

Smart by the Knights, but they'd be paying him massive overs.

Klemmer is worth more than most forwards. Only Taumalolo provides more quality metres in the middle consistently.
I dunno how much they are offering tho

Last edited:

I don't know how Klemmer could be "frustrated" ...

it can't be because of on-field performance of the club, since he is going to a club that only won 1 more game than the Bulldogs in 2018 (the Knights copped more floggings as well), he is not going to one of the top clubs

so he must be "frustrated" that he signed a deal that wasn't the monster one the Knights seem to offer everyone these days

4.6 million dollars a year...........sounds about right for the Knights ;)

Attachments

• Noname.jpg
    Noname.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Dazza 92
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Alec
  • broncotville
  • Fitzy
  • Foordy
  • Big Del
  • levikaden
  • Financeguy
  • broncos4life
  • Ondi
  • Xzei
  • Manofoneway
  • Fatboy
  • whykickamoocow
  • MrTickyMcG
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.