NRL Rumour and Movements - 2020

BroncsFan

NRL Player
According to one news outlet, they want that back!
Should be absolutely zero chance they get that back in their cap... he was under contract and they told him not to come to training.

If Latrell was refusing to come to training that may be a different story... very dangerous waters if the NRL suddenly allow teams to get back salary they paid because they don't want a player.

If however they simply want souths to pay that cash as a "transfer fee" of sorts then that would be fine... still wouldn't come back into the rorters cap but would come off souths cap.

Big Pete

International Captain
Brisbane
Sad news, he can rest assured that he gave it a fair crack but when that initial diagnosis came through it seemed like the end was near.

When he was coming through at the Wests Tigers he was right up there with Ash Taylor as one of the most promising halves coming through. Then after his debut against the Broncos, it appeared he could become anything, although his moments were few and far between. His best moment was a try he scored against Sydney in the 2017 Prelim final where he beat two tackles before stepping the fullback to extend the Cowboys early advantage.

Before the injury it appeared his time at the Cowboys was coming to an end, but he still would have been a good addition for a number of line-ups. A shame and hopefully he handles the transition into retirement.

Big Pete

International Captain
Brisbane
Latrell is set to sign a two year deal with South Sydney tomorrow morning.

Supposedly the second year is in the club's favour.

I'm interested to see how the dominos will fall. The South Sydney backline was already flush with talent, now Burns will have to make way.

In the end his 2019 was ultimately disrupted, but Burns showed some fantastic signs. Just about every club in the competition could use him.

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Writing was on the wall for Martin once that bleed on the brain was found.

You're not having a career after that. Far too much risk.

Alec

International Rep
Latrell is set to sign a two year deal with South Sydney tomorrow morning.

Supposedly the second year is in the club's favour.

I'm interested to see how the dominos will fall. The South Sydney backline was already flush with talent, now Burns will have to make way.

In the end his 2019 was ultimately disrupted, but Burns showed some fantastic signs. Just about every club in the competition could use him.
I wonder if they are going to try him at fullback? He's an absolute elite centre though, and with his questionable fitness levels, it's where you'd have to keep him I guess.

Big Pete

International Captain
Brisbane
That's a good call. Before Bennett called time on Inglis, the plan was for GI to ease into the fullback role. In the end he couldn't get through a game without injections and Bennett had a terrible time coming up with a suitable option, culminating in that gamble he made in the first week of the finals that backfired spectacularly with Johnston and Doueihi.

Latrell is a very similar player as GI and I could see Bennett challenging himself to get him right for the role. If not mid-way through 2020, definitely for 2021.

State of Origin Rep
Should be absolutely zero chance they get that back in their cap... he was under contract and they told him not to come to training.

If Latrell was refusing to come to training that may be a different story... very dangerous waters if the NRL suddenly allow teams to get back salary they paid because they don't want a player.

If however they simply want souths to pay that cash as a "transfer fee" of sorts then that would be fine... still wouldn't come back into the rorters cap but would come off souths cap.
The 120k ended up being the sticking point but Roosters backed down and Souths aren’t paying.

So gets 1.6 million and $120,000 from Roosters which seems a lot of stuffing around for pretty much what he was going to get anyway.

ivanhungryjak

NRL Captain
Suncorp Stadium
The 120k ended up being the sticking point but Roosters backed down and Souths aren’t paying.

So gets 1.6 million and $120,000 from Roosters which seems a lot of stuffing around for pretty much what he was going to get anyway.
Which would suggest something went down at the Roosters which made the relationship untenable.

Tom

State of Origin Rep
Does Bennett actually think he was tricking anyone by saying LM wouldn't be with Souths? Does he already forget he threw away his credibility of such matters on Jimmy the drunk? If there was any doubt the old fella was losing his marbles......Anyway I'm sure he's still convinced he's the chess grandmaster who fooled everyone.

Foordy

International Rep
Staff
I wonder if they are going to try him at fullback? He's an absolute elite centre though, and with his questionable fitness levels, it's where you'd have to keep him I guess.
he has reportedly been given a verbal guarantee he'll be playing fullback ... although if that word came from Bennett, i'm not sure i'd trust it anymore

Which would suggest something went down at the Roosters which made the relationship untenable.
everyone drink 😛

Bongo

QCup Player
Does Bennett actually think he was tricking anyone by saying LM wouldn't be with Souths? Does he already forget he threw away his credibility of such matters on Jimmy the drunk? If there was any doubt the old fella was losing his marbles......Anyway I'm sure he's still convinced he's the chess grandmaster who fooled everyone.
Do we have to call him Jimmy the drunk? He has his personal issues but we don't have to stick the boot in.

Bongo

QCup Player
**** him. He cut and run from us the moment things got hard and he was told we expected better effort from him. Weak pisshead.
I certainly agree about that. I think he could have repaid the club for what they did for him. I am not sure he will play origin again.

john1420

NRL Player
I read online that LM has been verbally assured the fullback role.
It was a newspaper article, so not Facebook or anything, but still can't vouch for the accuracy.

Big Pete

International Captain
Brisbane
It's been confirmed, Latrell signs a two year deal with the second being in the club's favour.

It seems excessive given the calibre of players they have, but that's still a fantastic signing. Latrell is one of the best players in the game and could be the type of player to lead a club to a premiership. It's crazy to think over a year ago you had Roberts-Latrell go head to head in one of the better centre match-ups we've seen and now they're in the same team.

In terms of recruitment and what was out there, Bennett has navigated the post-GI and Burgess years superbly.

Huge

State of Origin Rep
Ipswich
It's been confirmed, Latrell signs a two year deal with the second being in the club's favour.

It seems excessive given the calibre of players they have, but that's still a fantastic signing. Latrell is one of the best players in the game and could be the type of player to lead a club to a premiership. It's crazy to think over a year ago you had Roberts-Latrell go head to head in one of the better centre match-ups we've seen and now they're in the same team.

In terms of recruitment and what was out there, Bennett has navigated the post-GI and Burgess years superbly.
Cut it out. Bloody giving WB credit, outrageous.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter