NRL Rumour and Movements - 2020

kooly87

QCup Player
Are you taking the piss???? Seriously? St George 5th and Broncos 11th? On what possible basis can St George improve that much given their losses and their recruiting. Relying on a halves combination of Hunt and Norman? Isaac Luke at hooker and no recognised fullback. This is not even mentioning the McGregor factor.

NQ 6th?? They have done reasonably well in recruiting, but a big question mark surrounds Holmes and his return, particularly in a fullback role. Also serious concerns about Michael Morgan and his longevity, plus the Green factor.

If you are taking the piss, very well played.
Cowboys at 6th isn't out of the question, but yeah, the Dragons are realistically probably going into this season with a worse side than last year, and we all saw how last year went. They'll be lucky to miss the bottom 4.

Accept

NRL Player
Sawtell
Are you taking the piss???? Seriously? St George 5th and Broncos 11th? On what possible basis can St George improve that much given their losses and their recruiting. Relying on a halves combination of Hunt and Norman? Isaac Luke at hooker and no recognised fullback. This is not even mentioning the McGregor factor.

NQ 6th?? They have done reasonably well in recruiting, but a big question mark surrounds Holmes and his return, particularly in a fullback role. Also serious concerns about Michael Morgan and his longevity, plus the Green factor.

If you are taking the piss, very well played.
You said the same thing to me last year when I tipped the Broncos to finish 8th. How did that work out? Every season has a side who are a surprise packet. St George may be that side this year. Anyways, this is just an early prediction. We'll see how the sides are shaping up injury wise after the trials. The Broncos will finish in that 8th to 12th corridor. Anyone who expects better aren't being realistic.

Battler

NRL Captain
North Brisbane
You said the same thing to me last year when I tipped the Broncos to finish 8th. How did that work out? Every season has a side who are a surprise packet. St George may be that side this year. Anyways, this is just an early prediction. We'll see how the sides are shaping up injury wise after the trials. The Broncos will finish in that 8th to 12th corridor. Anyone who expects better aren't being realistic.
We have the best pack in the comp and a very good backline if picked correctly. The spine is the biggest question but you can say the same for the rorters (no Cronk, friend an injured mess, keary a concussion magnet who may be one away from retirement), raiders, storm (three full backs in the spine), cows (Holmes isn’t even a proven fullback. People forget how trash he was when he first went back there).

If we made the 8 with Boyd and Turpin in the halves and Macca at 9 I think we’ll improve this year.

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
We have the best pack in the comp and a very good backline if picked correctly. The spine is the biggest question but you can say the same for the rorters (no Cronk, friend an injured mess, keary a concussion magnet who may be one away from retirement), raiders, storm (three full backs in the spine), cows (Holmes isn’t even a proven fullback. People forget how trash he was when he first went back there).

If we made the 8 with Boyd and Turpin in the halves and Macca at 9 I think we’ll improve this year.
The only thing I'm looking for is some semblance of a game plan beyond one out hit ups.
Our roster is better no doubt but if we can't grasp the Seibold style, whatever the **** that is, it will be ground hog day.

I'm already worried when I read things like this

The Broncos’ NRL squad’s final assignment before their Christmas break was to complete the camp designed to build a cohesive team, build resilience, create a memory and achieve something as a group.

every word that comes out of the place sounds like a public service resume'.

Last edited:

NSW stables

QCup Player
I'm not a fan of all this talk that you need to be "elite fit" to be a fullback in the nrl.

Players of the style of Slater and Teddy have NRL coaches jumping at shadows around the need for fitness and speed as the key criteria for the position.

Everytime Justin Hodges got a chance to play fullback at the end of his career, he absolutely dominated, and I think Mitchell can be a similar style of player.

You don't have to do all the off ball running and rushing the line every single half chance to be a fullback.

So long as Souths get players other than Mitchell supporting Cook's runs (Walker as a Terry Lamb type) they'll do fine and Mitchell will add more depth back into the fullback role.
In attack, yes he could be a threat but defensively, fullback is much more aerobic. Your example of Hodges, he had a much better footy brain and knew where he could take short cuts and could predict the play making sure he was in position early. I havent seen anything in latrell that would indicate that he has that level of footy IQ. But i could very well be proved wrong

Do we have to call him Jimmy the drunk? He has his personal issues but we don't have to stick the boot in.
He seemed like a tool but probably wouldn't deserve that..

Until he hit a defenceless, prone oates who had his hands by his side and his face on the ground in the back of the head unconscious after the play had finished. Absolute shit **** of a person. I can't wait to walk past him in 10 years when he is on the kerb begging for money to buy a long neck the fucking loser. It's guaranteed to happen.

Last edited:

lynx000

NRL Captain
Waiting to win lotto
Did I?? I don't remember that, I recall being reasonably pessimistic about their prospects.

Wolfie

State of Origin Rep
The x-factor for me in our forwards isnt our props, even with Payne Haas in there, for me it would be potentially if we play TPJ and Fifita in the back row. I feel they are just so hard to handle and there wouldnt be a back row pairing like them.

lynx000

NRL Captain
Waiting to win lotto
Mate, I had a look at the equivalent thread from the start of last year and you certainly did predict 8th spot (kudos) but I did not comment in the thread at all (unless it is somewhere else??).

lynx000

NRL Captain
Waiting to win lotto
I would accept that as a goalpost only if the halves and the hooker and fullback issue are resolved. With our current spine we will not win it in my view in the next three years.
I love the optimism in this thread, but here is a dose of reality, the problems we have had in the last couple of years (in no particular order) are:

1. Attitudinal
2. Consistency
3. Commitment to defence
4. injuries
5. Our spine

4. is down to lady luck. The new coaching team seem to be addressing 1 to 3 in the pre-season. Whether that is successful will be significant in how our season unfolds.

5. remains a significant issue in my view. I will be surprised if at this stage there is any significant change in the way our hooker plays. Boyd is getting on and has proven to be somewhat injury prone. If he is fit and can regain some enthusiasm we could see some marked improvement in his game. Re the halves, it will be dependent on how productive the work being done by M. Johns is.

I think we will improve. I think that suggesting we are favourites or near favourites is very, very optimistic.
Accept Accept, here is what I did say in the above quotes well before the season started.

As it turned out, the coaching staff did not address 1, 2 and 3, the spine if anything was worse by the end of the season and we did not have a lot of luck with 4.

Last edited:

kooly87

QCup Player
In attack, yes he could be a threat but defensively, fullback is much more aerobic. Your example of Hodges, he had a much better footy brain and knew where he could take short cuts and could predict the play making sure he was in position early. I havent seen anything in latrell that would indicate that he has that level of footy IQ. But i could very well be proved wrong
Hodges learnt a lot of that over time though. Sure, he was supremely talented, but his footy smarts grew commensurate with his experience. Latrell has plenty of time on his side to learn those same things provided he can apply him self sufficiently.

Marty Deutschmann

NRL Player
1. Roosters
2. Souths
3. Melbourne
4. Raiders
5. Sea Eagles
6. Eels
7. Knights
8. Broncos
9. Cowboys
10. Sharks
11. Panthers
12. Dragons
13. Bulldogs
14. Warriors
15. Titans
16. Tigers

The Roosters still have a huge amount of quality, but they should come back to the pack a bit this year. Souths with Arrow become a big chance. Melbourne should still have enough quality and experience to run inside the Top 4 comfortably and Canberra will probably still be pretty close, but they have challenges around an untested Halfback and the fact that a few more sides will have done their homework and have them figured out this year. If Manly had Fainu I think they could be a Top 4 chance, so their chances rest on finding a suitable replacement at Dummy Half for 2020.

I think the Knights will be a real surprise packet if they can get a kind run with injuries and Origin and I probably put us in that same boat too.
I have my doubts over Roosters since they won't have an established halves pairing going into the year.

By all accounts they'll be playing a rookie or Kyle Flanagan, who is still a rookie.

Flanagan went to the Roosters right?

Marty Deutschmann

NRL Player
The x-factor for me in our forwards isnt our props, even with Payne Haas in there, for me it would be potentially if we play TPJ and Fifita in the back row. I feel they are just so hard to handle and there wouldnt be a back row pairing like them.
Yeah. And I think we play them on the same edge. Fifita can start and from reports he's underdone fitness wise.

TPJ can bench rotate with David, come on and sustain the effect Fifita had in the opening 20

kooly87

QCup Player
I have my doubts over Roosters since they won't have an established halves pairing going into the year.

By all accounts they'll be playing a rookie or Kyle Flanagan, who is still a rookie.

Flanagan went to the Roosters right?
Sure, the Halves combination is new, but they have a multiple Premiership winner and probably the form 5/8 in the game in Keary and Flanagan isn't exactly a total rookie. He's had a run in first grade steering the Sharks around and looked plenty capable, and he was excellent for Newtown during his time there so he's certainly had a fair apprenticeship.

They also happen to have an excellent Dummy Half feeding them in Friend, and they'll be capably supported by the best Fullback in the game by some distance in Tedesco.

I agree they might come back to the field a little bit, but they're still almost certainly going to be there or thereabouts at the business end of the season.

Waynesaurus

NRL Player
Springfield
The only thing I'm looking for is some semblance of a game plan beyond one out hit ups.
Our roster is better no doubt but if we can't grasp the Seibold style, whatever the **** that is, it will be ground hog day.
I think Siebs did try to bring a more elaborate game plan earlier in the season but it was too much too soon and then disruptions through injuries (particularly in the halves) he just went straight to a very basic game plan to try and grind some wins.

If the team is fit and we can keep our best players on the field and in their best positions I'm expecting to see more to our game this year.

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
If Seibold can get the best out of Croft and get him playing a simple gameplan to compliment Milford and we stay injury free in the spine, that will go a long way towards building a more potent attacking gameplan.

If not, it's just going to go to shit like it did last year. A healthy spine is key.

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Rumours that Andrew Fifita is being chased by the Titans as a replacement for Arrow.

He would be a great signing for them.

Big Pete

International Captain
Brisbane
Rumours that Andrew Fifita is being chased by the Titans as a replacement for Arrow.

He would be a great signing for them.
It'd be odd for Cronulla to release him.

It would be on brand, but that would be an awful fit. The Gold Coast already have enough selfish players in their squad, Fifita would just add to that insanity. His one drawback is that he gets caught up running sideways when the team desperately needs to go forward.

He also gives away a lot of dumb penalties - with Wallace and James in the team you're just asking for trouble.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter