NRL Player Movements & Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Signing a player like bird isn’t the issue, signing bird on the figures being reported is. You don’t spend $750-850 on a luxury buy.

These figures are reserved for specialty players. No matter how you look at it, This was bad business.

Its only a luxury because he got injured. Maybe he wouldnt have been if he stayed fit and played where we signed him for.

He's definitely throwing his eggs in the one basket to deliver a Premiership before his current deal expires. Signing Mitchell will give him a pretty good shot though to be fair.

The Burgess brothers are a massive loss. The loss of them has left a massive void in their front row that they haven't addressed.

They have signed a lock forward and are going after a lazy centre.

They have good backups in the front row but they aren't anything special. They aren't going to provide the impact they need.

I don't see them getting any closer to a premiership than what they were last year.

Does everyone realise Arrow isn't going until 2021?

I still think there's a good chance he leaves before then, it just depends on whether the Gold Coast can wrangle up a suitable replacement in the interim.

I still think it’s at least fifty fifty that he’ll go this year. There’s a lot of argey bargey talk going on at the moment.
[automerge]1578387956[/automerge]
In fact, DT just released an article saying Arrows release is expected to be finalised within 24 hours.

Last edited:
Will be interesting to see what souths offer to get the deal done

Last edited:
It's very unlikely Arrow remains at the Titans.

Souths will be doing everything they can to get him to the club after the retirement of Burgess and Titans will want to move on asap.

Will be interesting to see what souths offer to get the deal done

Likely Gagai for Arrow. Hence the reason Mitchell has come into the picture.

I still think there's a good chance he leaves before then, it just depends on whether the Gold Coast can wrangle up a suitable replacement in the interim.
I can't think of anyone that is viable to them though.... who would you consider to be a viable option should Arrow be released early??

(Note: I don't consider Gagai to be viable as a player trade as I just do not consider him to be a good value for money considering what you're losing... he could easily fit into the space made by releasing Arrow, but there is no way it represents good value for money to go from Arrow on $500-600k to Gagai on $450-500k)

If I were the titans the only way I'm releasing Arrow is if Tino gets released early from the storm (but they've lost so many players already so I can't see that happening)... or if Souths pay a transfer fee given Titans financial issues, but they get included in the cap and I'd say souths cap is running tight as it is.

Thinking about it I'd say transfer fees should actually be separate to the cap. I'm guessing they're included to prevent rich clubs from being able to get an advantage, but I don't really see how there is any real advantage in the current market. The tigers lost Matterson for nothing to the eels... they spotted a player and got him on a good deal only for him to kick stones and get a release. If there was a transfer fee they could've at least got some cash out of the eels (who are a rich club that got a player early at zero outlay to them)

Last edited:
I can't think of anyone that is viable to them though.... who would you consider to be a viable option should Arrow be released early??

(Note: I don't consider Gagai to be viable as a player trade as I just do not consider him to be a good value for money considering what you're losing... he could easily fit into the space made by releasing Arrow, but there is no way it represents good value for money to go from Arrow on $500-600k to Gagai on $450-500k)

If I were the titans the only way I'm releasing Arrow is if Tino gets released early from the storm (but they've lost so many players already so I can't see that happening)... or if Souths pay a transfer fee given Titans financial issues, but they get included in the cap and I'd say souths cap is running tight as it is.

Thinking about it I'd say transfer fees should actually be separate to the cap. I'm guessing they're included to deter rich clubs from being able to get an advantage, but I don't really see how there is any real advantage in the current market. The tigers lost Matterson for nothing to the eels... they spotted a player and got him on a good deal only for him to kick stones and get a release. If there was a transfer fee they could've at least got some cash out of the eels (who are a rich club that got a player early at zero outlay to them)

Gold Coast fans are under the impression that they can sign Tatola and Asiata, so I could see them moving Arrow onto help strengthen the overall the team.

Likely Gagai for Arrow. Hence the reason Mitchell has come into the picture.
Throw in sua as well and that deal would be better but a straight swap for gagai would be lunacy

Gold Coast fans are under the impression that they can sign Tatola and Asiata, so I could see them moving Arrow onto help strengthen the overall the team.
As in junior tatola from souths?

I wouldnt have thought Arrow's current wage would be enough for tatola and asiata.

I would say souths losing tatola is not that great of a deal for souths considering they've lost two middles already in the burgii. They'd effectively be losing 3 middles and only bringing in Arrow... I do rate tatola as a player though so that would be a decent pick up for the titans if it eventuates

Last edited:
@Big Pete @ivanhungryjak , absolutely there are moves being made behind the scenes but at this stage I reckon the Titans will play hardball.

I wouldn't be doing Souths any favours when I hold all the cards and there is also the **** Souths because they have set you back by stealing your franchise player.

There is also that part of my thinking that a lot of clubs will start to push back like the Roosters have because even though the clubs have been complicit they are sick of the free for all the player market has become. ( Works both ways but somebody had to blink first )

In a lot of ways the players willingness to shift around for the right $$$ have revealed the excuses for not wanting a draft as utter BS

Also the talk of Gagai going to the Titans doesn't make a whole lot of sense, where exactly are you playing him? Right wing? They've already got their Fullback of the future (Brimson) and have got an abundance of Centres (Kelly, Watkins, Peachey, Spry) and Wingers (Don, Sami, Copley, Pearson)

As in junior tatola from souths?

I wouldnt have thought Arrow's current wage would be enough for tatola and asiata.

I would say souths losing tatola is not that great of a deal for souths considering they've lost two middles already in the burgii. They'd effectively be losing 3 middles and only bringing in Arrow... I do rate tatola as a player though so that would be a decent pick up for the titans if it eventuates

The Gold Coast still have to fill four spots on the roster, with Arrow going that's five and you would have to presume with the players they'll pick up the first year of the deals will be supplemented, especially since they've already been paid at least two months worth of wages.

S. Burgess spent more time as an edge forward and G. Burgess was barely sighted in 2019. They would still be missing what S. Burgess brought but the additions of Arrow and Su'A should go some way to replacing that. They also have two forwards coming through who they have big opinions on in Amone and Rodwell.

Is it possible that there may be a couple of imports on the way from the Old Dart? Of course you'd imagine they'd already be here but ...

Asiata has already been and toured the Titans with Holbrook. I think he is going to end up there if Arrow is released early.

If we held cash we used to sign Bird, the media and fans would have crucified him for having so much cash left over in the cap and not utilising it. He went out and bought one of the best players on the market. We cant really judge his buy of Bird when he never really got going whilst Bennett was at the club. No NRL coach willingly goes into the season with a mill left in the cap. Its just too much money to not have utilised in todays game.
Of course we can judge his decisions. We're the fans.. he's gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Foordy
  • Brocko
  • Fozz
  • Sproj
  • Jazza
  • Morkel
  • BroncosAlways
  • Xzei
  • GCBRONCO
  • Harry Sack
  • Fitzy
  • Culhwch
  • theshed
  • cento
  • Broncos Maestro
  • Bongo
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Dash
  • Battler
  • Mighty Bronx
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.