NRL Rumour and Movements - 2020

kooly87

NRL Player
he won't be ...

the NRL still refuse to register a contract for him ... which means he is unlikely to find a club that will bother with him (to to mention all the bad publicity and potential rifts with a clubs sponsors).

to have any chance, he'd have to take the NRL to court and see if a court will force the NRL to allow him to play ... which no court will, the best he can hope from that is to get the court to rule the NRL are discriminating against him ... in which case to try to get the general public to pay for his court costs again (despite the fact that he would still have millions left from his court case against RA)

TL:DR Folau is a done playing sport professionally in Australia ... which is why he has take a smallish contract in france (reportedly only about 400k)
I'm not sure the NRL could get away with refusing to register him in the long run. I could see a situation where they find a rule to decline him, but as you pointed out, that would very likely end up in court which is a disaster for the NRL who have to fund it themselves, and far less disasterous for Folau, who will easily be able to source crowd funding to fight his case and they won't care if he wins or loses, they're fanatical enough that they'd just be happy to see him fight it. All the while the NRL is watching bad publicity around the game dominate the media, just like the ARU were.

The RFL were obviously not prepared to take it on once Catalans forced their hand by attempting to sign and register him. The only difference in the NRL's case at this stage is that no club is willing to take the heat for attempting to register him. If one of them was, I think it would be very interesting to see how the NRL handled it.

I'm sure they'd attempt to save face by declining him, but as I said, that would almost certainly land them in an expensive and lengthy court battle which they themselves may have to settle just to make it go away, exactly like the ARU had to.

Last edited:

Foordy

International Rep
Staff
I'm not sure the NRL could get away with refusing to register him. I could see a situation where they find a rule to decline him, but as you pointed out, that would very likely end up in court and may even find a settlement in Folau's favour.
no court will force someone to hire someone ... most they will do is find in favor of Folau for discrimination ... and should it end up in court, the outcome is likely to take years to sort out and since he is in his 30's, he doesn't have years left.

the NRL case is different to the RA case, and they would have a strong case that hiring Folau would damage their business, and that is the reason, not his religious beliefs that he wasn't hired by the NRL. RA had already hired him AFTER he made similar statements in the past ... hell, they may have still won their case if they had the balls to actually fight it.

The NRL would have to fight this case to the end, as losing could open up a legal can of worms, causing other people the have refused to register to take legal action against them

Clintos

NRL Captain
Around
He can't force a club to sign him, but he could force the NRL to register a contract if there was one put forward.

It's a club's right to refuse to sign any player if they think it would have negative effects on their standing or sponsorships - but he could easily take the NRL to court under religious discrimination if a club took the chance to sign him and the NRL then rejected his contract.

Whether it's worth his time or effort, I don't know. I personally hope his god smites him down for being a twat.

Foordy

International Rep
Staff
He can't force a club to sign him, but he could force the NRL to register a contract if there was one put forward.

It's a club's right to refuse to sign any player if they think it would have negative effects on their standing or sponsorships - but he could easily take the NRL to court under religious discrimination if a club took the chance to sign him and the NRL then rejected his contract.

Whether it's worth his time or effort, I don't know. I personally hope his god smites him down for being a twat.
it really depends what is in the licencing agreement with the clubs... the NRL may have a clause in there to protect themselves, saying something along the lines of:

"the NRL reserve the right to refuse the registration of any player contract, if deemed that said player is not a fit and proper person to participate in the NRL competition"

Fernando

NRL Player
Bris
We’ll see. Him making his Rugby League return elsewhere has taken some sting out of the story. I haven’t seen much outrage tbh, maybe people are just tired of it, and probably even more so in a years time. I think he’ll kill it on the field, and if he shows that he’s prepared to play ball off the field with his club/league then I wouldn’t be surprised if he played NRL again.

Last edited:

Clintos

NRL Captain
Around
it really depends what is in the licencing agreement with the clubs... the NRL may have a clause in there to protect themselves, saying something along the lines of:

"the NRL reserve the right to refuse the registration of any player contract, if deemed that said player is not a fit and proper person to participate in the NRL competition"
There could well be something in there - but that still leaves them open for to lawsuit. They would have to argue his statements, which for all intents and purposes he is allowed to make under freedom of speech, would make him improper.

That's a dangerous stance to take because it would be tiptoeing the line of religious discrimination given that their chief reasoning would be that he would likely be potentially damaging to the reputation/earnings of the game - which would be caused by his comments that he's free to make. Simply 'bringing the game into disrepute' won't cover it IMO.

Last edited:

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
I don’t think the NRL could refuse to register Folau based on his religion and beliefs however I am pretty sure they can refuse to register based on what he was saying on social media and how damaging that could potentially be.

Unbreakable

International Rep
Staff
🌏
Bronson Xerri knocked back a 5 year $500k per year extension.

These kids are delusional.
You say that.. but Adam Doueihi just reportedly signed with the Tigers on a 4 year, $2.5m deal and he's not half as talented as Xerri, not to mention coming off an ACL at the end of 2018 and being a couple of years older.

kooly87

NRL Player
You say that.. but Adam Doueihi just reportedly signed with the Tigers on a 4 year, $2.5m deal and he's not half as talented as Xerri, not to mention coming off an ACL at the end of 2018 and being a couple of years older.
I thought the Douehi deal was $2 million over 4 years.

The extra 500k isn't great if that's true, but I still don't think that will prove to be bad value for the Tigers.

He's from all reports a great kid and he's certainly extremely versatile. Granted, he probably isn't going to be a match winner too regularly, but he is a very competent Fullback and Halfback and he can also play in the Centres or on the Wing pretty well too.

Over a 26 Round season those sort of guys can often be just as critical to your chances as superstar players can be, simply because he can plug any gap that injuries throw up and can do so with minimal disruption to the side.

I know Premierships are usually won by star players in October, but we've seen plenty of examples over the years of teams who go deep into the finals that only managed to get to the finals in the first place because of the quality of their depth and versatility back in Round 15 or Round 19 etc that helped get them over the line with a badly needed two points.

I honestly think Douehi can be that guy for the Tigers just like he was for Souths.

Huge

State of Origin Rep
Ipswich
I wish people would get as outraged about perpetrators of domestic violence, drink driving, and child abusers as they do about Israel Folau's political views.
I understand your position. It's definitely a balance. The thing with balance is weight. It's how much weight we give things that's important I believe. In a dv situation there may be somewhere between 3 or 4 people affected by an incident or as many as 50 in huge extended families. It's the same with drink drivers too although you cannot hang them simply because something MAY have happened as a result of their actions.

Child molesters. I have no answer. What can be done with them? Although I'd favour a reintroduction of the death penalty we know it's not an answer and sterilization with imprisonment could create greater monsters.

What Folau did for mine was worse than a single incident of dv or drinkdriving. However callous that appears on first reading each and every case must be considered separately, not all dv or dd incidents have the same outcomes. I consider Folau's effect on the vulnerable, the less capable of us. It's almost impossible to compare a single case of dd with hate speech. How much weight do we apportion?

Reactions: Tom

john1420

NRL Player
I understand your position. It's definitely a balance. The thing with balance is weight. It's how much weight we give things that's important I believe. In a dv situation there may be somewhere between 3 or 4 people affected by an incident or as many as 50 in huge extended families. It's the same with drink drivers too although you cannot hang them simply because something MAY have happened as a result of their actions.

Child molesters. I have no answer. What can be done with them? Although I'd favour a reintroduction of the death penalty we know it's not an answer and sterilization with imprisonment could create greater monsters.

What Folau did for mine was worse than a single incident of dv or drinkdriving. However callous that appears on first reading each and every case must be considered separately, not all dv or dd incidents have the same outcomes. I consider Folau's effect on the vulnerable, the less capable of us. It's almost impossible to compare a single case of dd with hate speech. How much weight do we apportion?
It may not be a deterrent to others, but it certainly is the answer to recidivism :)

LittleDavey83

NRL Player
Bundy
Personally I think the entire Folau thing has been blown way out of proportion. Sure, he deserved to be sacked by Yawnion for breach of contract, but beyond that it's become farcical.

I'd love to see him back in the NRL. Probably on the condition that he doesn't publicly make inflammatory comments about certain topics, but I don't think it's right to deny him employment because of his personal (religious) views. That's actually the very definition of discrimination.

Huge

State of Origin Rep
Ipswich
Personally I think the entire Folau thing has been blown way out of proportion. Sure, he deserved to be sacked by Yawnion for breach of contract, but beyond that it's become farcical.

I'd love to see him back in the NRL. Probably on the condition that he doesn't publicly make inflammatory comments about certain topics, but I don't think it's right to deny him employment because of his personal (religious) views. That's actually the very definition of discrimination.
Pretty sure it wasn't/isn't his religious views that's hindering employment. It's his stupid habit of running off at the mouth. His views should be discussed in a different thread.

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane

It seems as though the NRL will be in the right here for denying to register him.

Foordy

International Rep
Staff

it is not his religious views that is denying him employment ... it is his potential to damage the fiscal well-being and reputation of the NRL that's the issue ...

at least that would be the NRL's argument ... which is a strong one, and getting stronger by the day given the backlash that is occurring in the ESL right now

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.