NRL Player Movements & Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am pretty sure I read the roster shifts from 30-28 for starters so we do need to lose a couple players already. Furthermore what I was trying to suggest in the original post was that although it is not ideal to have 3 million dollar players, given the players we lose are on big money to not even start, if these contracts are instead given to depth signings it is going to in essence average this out, with many of the players we have been blooding being on near minimum wage in order to get a shot at NRL, Joliffe, Lisone, Fogarty, Don is now, Young T, even Thompson was a steal (167k). Add to that Fermor for next year and we have got a large number of the top 17 on pretty small coin realistically. Most of the non top 17 at any club are not going to be breaking the bank and most of ours are yet to play a first grade game. Let us say we get Cam, we would have Taylor, Fifita and Smith on big contracts. Other than that the only two with a substantial salary will be Wallace and Tino with Wallace's contract ending next year along with Taylor's with both of them looking at reductions as it stands if kept. Just take a look at the roster other than those 4 and the only one I can see who would be on anything bordering 500k would be Brimson (Ese'ese is reported at 400k)? On the last point, barely any of next years crop came on overs (other than the 1m players)... we are literally getting rid of 90% of those this year? Look I am not saying it doesn't compromise the re-signing of players going forward. however, given one of these big contracts (if Smith's 2 year deal is assumed) ends each year going forward it is definitely not impossible as you seem to suggest. Some of this contains assumptions on figures obviously but I feel most of them are ballpark and definitely not wild assumptions given most of our squad wasn't chased when we signed them. Happy to be proven wrong as I admit to not being an expert.

Yeah look to be honest you are probably right, you’d know more about your club than me, I couldn’t really care less but you also have guys like Sami, Fogarty and Phototaker who need considerable upgrades or you’ll Lose them. Brimson Is also on a lot, he was Chased by a few clubs. And you still have some expensive contracts you will either need to subsidise elsewhere or keep in full. You guys looks better than we do if we keep our current useless excuse for a coach though.

Last edited:
I am pretty sure I read the roster shifts from 30-28 for starters so we do need to lose a couple players already. Furthermore what I was trying to suggest in the original post was that although it is not ideal to have 3 million dollar players, given the players we lose are on big money to not even start, if these contracts are instead given to depth signings it is going to in essence average this out, with many of the players we have been blooding being on near minimum wage in order to get a shot at NRL, Joliffe, Lisone, Fogarty, Don is now, Young T, even Thompson was a steal (167k). Add to that Fermor for next year and we have got a large number of the top 17 on pretty small coin realistically. Most of the non top 17 at any club are not going to be breaking the bank and most of ours are yet to play a first grade game. Let us say we get Cam, we would have Taylor, Fifita and Smith on big contracts. Other than that the only two with a substantial salary will be Wallace and Tino with Wallace's contract ending next year along with Taylor's with both of them looking at reductions as it stands if kept. Just take a look at the roster other than those 4 and the only one I can see who would be on anything bordering 500k would be Brimson (Ese'ese is reported at 400k)? On the last point, barely any of next years crop came on overs (other than the 1m players)... we are literally getting rid of 90% of those this year? Look I am not saying it doesn't compromise the re-signing of players going forward. however, given one of these big contracts (if Smith's 2 year deal is assumed) ends each year going forward it is definitely not impossible as you seem to suggest. Some of this contains assumptions on figures obviously but I feel most of them are ballpark and definitely not wild assumptions given most of our squad wasn't chased when we signed them. Happy to be proven wrong as I admit to not being an expert.

That is a very rose coloured view of things. The reality is you are going to have a massively overpaid forward pack and rookies/numpties elsewhere. I hope you have enjoyed watching the Broncos this season because these performances will be coming down the M1 real soon.

That is a very rose coloured view of things. The reality is you are going to have a massively overpaid forward pack and rookies/numpties elsewhere. I hope you have enjoyed watching the Broncos this season because these performances will be coming down the M1 real soon.
Not necessarily but I'll be death riding the Titans harder than the Cowboys next season and that says something.

Edene Gebbie apparently has walked away from his Rabbits contract. Heard anything about this @1910 or @Big Pete ? I'd love to see us bring him to the Broncos alongside his PNG team mate Nixon Putt.

That's news to me @Wolfie.

I rate Gebbie as a prospect, but I feel he needs to go to a club with a strong development focus like Melbourne if he's going to make it. Brisbane have plenty of prospects but very few have improved and a lot of their prospects still have the same issues in their game. Gebbie is still a work in progress, but I'd love to see him in first grade.

That's news to me @Wolfie.

I rate Gebbie as a prospect, but I feel he needs to go to a club with a strong development focus like Melbourne if he's going to make it. Brisbane have plenty of prospects but very few have improved and a lot of their prospects still have the same issues in their game. Gebbie is still a work in progress, but I'd love to see him in first grade.

Just read it today about him leaving Souths. Gone back to PNG at the moment apparently.

He isnt the finished article, totally agree with you but i reckon he would be worth a shot. Hopefully a Brisbane Broncos with a better coaching structure would help him.

Edene Gebbie apparently has walked away from his Rabbits contract. Heard anything about this @1910 or @Big Pete ? I'd love to see us bring him to the Broncos alongside his PNG team mate Nixon Putt.

He's back in PNG, he wasn't handling not playing so has gone home to at least play and win another deal- not sure he's done the right thing there. Tigers were keen but pulled the pin when he went home.

I was never sold on him, I just knew something like this would happen.

He's back in PNG, he wasn't handling not playing so has gone home to at least play and win another deal- not sure he's done the right thing there. Tigers were keen but pulled the pin when he went home.

I was never sold on him, I just knew something like this would happen.

As a player i love watching him, but i cant say i know anything about his character.

The daily Tele reporting Barrett not interested in keeping Tolmen. Hope Kevvie sees his value in terms of solid reliable and experienced and does a swap deal with them.

Just please don't give up on Isaako yet.

Last edited:
Initially I was also under the same impression but if you look at the amount of overpaid players the Titans are letting go this year and the roster in general they actually may. Most of the top 17 at the moment seem to be on chump change. Stole these off the Titans forum (sorry willhelm)...
Arrow - 400k (guess)
Boyd - 600k
Cartwright - 600k
James - 700k
Peats - 600k
Proctor - 550k
Watkins - 400k (guess)
That is already 3.85m before you add to that Roberts and Copley who probably bring it up to at the very least 4.2m. 1.2m of that has been taken up by Fifita, 700k by Tino and reported 400k for Ese'ese adds to only 2.3m, hence leaving them with approx. 2m to play with. Obviously still need to fill top 28 for next year but I didn't add some of the off contract depth to that tally and we have a few juniors ready for promotion from what I hear. Add to that half the list above aren't even in the current top 17 and most of whats needed is depth signings which should be cheap. It is still fanciful but I don't believe it is completely out of question.
Just a quick note on CS9, Cronk said he thinks he's retiring at seasons end.

They can't, this rumour hasn't come from them. Regardless, Smith is using this rubbish as he has always done, pushing his price up with Melbourne.
No. Last season for CS9.

the Storm reckon they can not only retain both Smiths and Harry Grant next season but fit all three into the one team.

the Storm reckon they can not only retain both Smiths and Harry Grant next season but fit all three into the one team.

4cqkls

7 C. Smith
9. Grant
13. B. Smith

Sure they can fit them in but BSmith has said he wants to be a 9.

If all 3 stay he wont be the 9 next year and probably for the next 10 after that as Grant is very very likely to be the successor.... and even if BSmith beats out Grant for the starting 9 after Cam, then Grant will move on.

End of next year only 1 of those 3 will still be at the club.

Last edited:
We need to go all in on Grant, make him an offer he can't refuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• broncos4life
  • Lozza
  • Porthoz
  • winslow_wong
  • Old Mate
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Morkel
  • Turks85
  • broncsgoat
  • Rookie Alan
  • theshed
  • GCBRONCO
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.