NRL Player Movements & Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can't fit 4 x $1Mil players(JT/Holmes/Morgan/Mitchell) under the current cap (roughly 40% of your cap on 4 players out of 30) and then expect that the quality in the rest of the squad not to suffer, it will have to give somewhere, whether that be on the bench and/or in your depth players.

You would have to be hoping for a miracle season without very low number of injuries, especially to those high earners.........its a massive risk.

*Edit* Well you can do it but you would have to be nuts to.

Well, if they can offload Asiata and Granville, they are going to be close to affording him without really making their squad weaker.

Well, if they can offload Asiata and Granville, they are going to be close to affording him without really making their squad weaker.

But how does Asiata and Granville open up $1 million? I would imagine it would be $600k at best.

But how does Asiata and Granville open up $1 million? I would imagine it would be $600k at best.

Granville is on about 500k i think i read, Asiata about 300k and they probably still have a little left in the cap. Reports were they had about a million a year for Holmes, so if the reports are right he signed a 6 year, 5 million dollar contract that puts him at about the 850k a year mark. I think they could get close to what he wants tbh.

Granville is on about 500k i think i read, Asiata about 300k and they probably still have a little left in the cap. Reports were they had about a million a year for Holmes, so if the reports are right he signed a 6 year, 5 million dollar contract that puts him at about the 850k a year mark. I think they could get close to what he wants tbh.

So Morgan, JT, Holmes and Mitchell all close to or over $1 million. McGuire, McLean, Hess, Feldt and Marsters all on a fair bit as well. That leaves pretty much everyone else on $200k or less. I sure hope they don't have any future stars coming through, they won't be able to keep any of them.

That is also assuming they don't have to pay any of Granville or Asiata's wages which is EXTREMELY unlikely. Granville maybe, given Manly are desperate but who wants Asiata and especially without the Cows footing any of his bill?

That said, Green won't want another mediocre season with this side:

1. Holmes
2. Feldt
3. Marsters
4. Mitchell
5. Whoever
6. Drinkwater/Clifford
7. Morgan
8. McLean
9. Robson
10. McGuire
11. Cooper
12. Hess
13. Taumololo

14. No idea
15. Jensen
16. Molo
17. No idea

So Morgan, JT, Holmes and Mitchell all close to or over $1 million. McGuire, McLean, Hess, Feldt and Marsters all on a fair bit as well. That leaves pretty much everyone else on $200k or less. I sure hope they don't have any future stars coming through, they won't be able to keep any of them.

That is also assuming they don't have to pay any of Granville or Asiata's wages which is EXTREMELY unlikely. Granville maybe, given Manly are desperate but who wants Asiata and especially without the Cows footing any of his bill?

That said, Green won't want another mediocre season with this side:

1. Holmes
2. Feldt
3. Marsters
4. Mitchell
5. Whoever
6. Drinkwater/Clifford
7. Morgan
8. McLean
9. Robson
10. McGuire
11. Cooper
12. Hess
13. Taumololo

14. No idea
15. Jensen
16. Molo
17. No idea

I dont think Hess and Marsters are on really huge money, probably around 400-450k i believe. Hess wont even be a starter i dont reckon, Wright will be in his position.

Asiata has already been touring the Gold coast with Holbrook. Manly reportedly tracking Granville.

They have some good young kids coming through. I'd say they will be letting Dunn or Hess take over from Cooper. Then they have Gilbert who is an excellent player.

Last edited:

No-one is going to pay 500k for Granville so they will have to supplement.

Manly probably will, they are a bit desperate.

They also don’t have the money in the cap to pay 500k for a below average hooker.

They also don’t have the money in the cap to pay 500k for a below average hooker.

Not sure what their cap situation is tbh. I'd say they will get some cap concession for Fainu. I'm pretty sure a couple of English clubs were interested as well. I dont see them having too many drama's tbh in shedding a couple of players if they need to.

Last edited:
Not sure what their cap situation is tbh. I'd say they will get some cap concession for Fainu. I'm pretty sure a couple of English clubs were interested as well. I dont see them having too many drama's tbh in shedding a couple of players if they need to.

Unless those players don't want to go.

Unless those players don't want to go.

Asiata must have an interest or he wouldnt have looked at the Gold Coast. From what i heard, Granville is open to a move if its financially beneficial ( and who wouldnt really ). If Hess for example is going to play second fiddle to Wright, i could see him getting disgruntled.

Asiata must have an interest or he wouldnt have looked at the Gold Coast. From what i heard, Granville is open to a move if its financially beneficial ( and who wouldnt really ). If Hess for example is going to play second fiddle to Wright, i could see him getting disgruntled.

Yeah all of that makes sense BUT I just can't believe that the Cows would be able to do all of this without paying a fair chunk of said players' salaries. These guys are, after all, not hugely sought after.

Yeah all of that makes sense BUT I just can't believe that the Cows would be able to do all of this without paying a fair chunk of said players' salaries. These guys are, after all, not hugely sought after.

I suppose you have to look at where they could be headed. The Titans are chasing Asiata and are on a rebuild, and i wouldnt think are that attractive so they may need to just bite the bullet and recruit some of these guys. Manly are desperate for a hooker, but whether they can afford him is a different story, but i'd be fairly confident if Granville moves to England they will cover his salary ( and i actually think his game suits the Super league as well ).

I think where the Cows could come unstuck is down the track a little if they went down the route of having 4 very well paid players. They should be fine for this year, and maybe even next year, but if the likes of Molo, Gilbert, Wright, Dunn and Hola progress they are going to have a hard time keeping them. Melbourne is the template for building your team around 3 stars then supplementing them with workhorses and clever pick ups from other clubs, but they do tend to turn over quite a few players. I'm not sure the Cows are as smart at picking up these workhorse players as Melbourne have been.

If they don't get full cap relief for Fainu then that would be dreadfully unfair.
[automerge]1574811120[/automerge]
I suppose you have to look at where they could be headed. The Titans are chasing Asiata and are on a rebuild, and i wouldnt think are that attractive so they may need to just bite the bullet and recruit some of these guys. Manly are desperate for a hooker, but whether they can afford him is a different story, but i'd be fairly confident if Granville moves to England they will cover his salary ( and i actually think his game suits the Super league as well ).

I think where the Cows could come unstuck is down the track a little if they went down the route of having 4 very well paid players. They should be fine for this year, and maybe even next year, but if the likes of Molo, Gilbert, Wright, Dunn and Hola progress they are going to have a hard time keeping them. Melbourne is the template for building your team around 3 stars then supplementing them with workhorses and clever pick ups from other clubs, but they do tend to turn over quite a few players. I'm not sure the Cows are as smart at picking up these workhorse players as Melbourne have been.
Recruiting both Mitchell and Holmes in the same offseason is almost certainly about winning a Premiership in the next two or maybe three seasons. There will be headaches after that, especially if they get that Premiership, but who would argue that for a club like the Cowboys, that Premiership would be worth some pain later on.

Last edited:
Dragons didn’t get any for DeBellin

Dragons didn’t get any for DeBellin
They will for this season though surely?

You can't require clubs to stand down down long term or terminate players for serious issues etc and then refuse to help them out once they do so. That hardly seems fair at all.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Locky's Left Boot
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Hurrijo
  • Battler
  • Mustafur
  • Allo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.