NRL Player Movements & Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.
The rumour mill is saying they won't grant a release but if they're denying a guy the chance to be with his kids they're going to look pretty bad.

I think they will play hardball at first but I think they will end up granting the release. They would be denying him the opportunity to be with his kids, that would cause quite a bit of disharmony at the club. Bellamy is a smart coach, he knows what that can do and how easily shit like that can manifest and derail a team.

I can't see JAC being at the club in 2020.

The rumour mill is saying they won't grant a release but if they're denying a guy the chance to be with his kids they're going to look pretty bad.

They'll spin it like usual.

I think they will play hardball at first but I think they will end up granting the release. They would be denying him the opportunity to be with his kids, that would cause quite a bit of disharmony at the club. Bellamy is a smart coach, he knows what that can do and how easily shit like that can manifest and derail a team.

I can't see JAC being at the club in 2020.
Agreed. Melbourne would be smart to just let this one go and instead make sure they get the best possible outcome for a replacement rather than trying to fight it and then having less say later on.

Move his family to Brisbane, swap with Boyd, jobs done.

You'd probably say no, but the players and player agents hold so much power these days it'd be understandable if they didn't want the headache.

The Storm are going to have SO much money in 2021 once Smith finally pisses off.

All the money in the world and no one will really want to sign with them. In the past having the opportunity to play with Slater, Cronk & Smith would have been a massive appeal. Now its have the opportunity to play with Munster, Papenhauzen and Brandon Smith. Just doesn't have the same aura about it anymore.

All the money in the world and no one will really want to sign with them. In the past having the opportunity to play with Slater, Cronk & Smith would have been a massive appeal. Now its have the opportunity to play with Munster, Papenhauzen and Brandon Smith. Just doesn't have the same aura about it anymore.
They really need to start thinking about Bellamy's replacement now too given he's indicated he'll probably finish up after this current deal too. Really only adds to the uncertainty at the moment.

Jake Clifford has signed an extension with the Cowboys.

Not entirely sure what that means.. Perhaps that Morgan is closer to a medical retirement than we think.

Jake Clifford has signed an extension with the Cowboys.

Not entirely sure what that means.. Perhaps that Morgan is closer to a medical retirement than we think.

Only a one year extension, so it gives the Cowboys some security in case he has a break out year in a position the Cowboys are struggling to fill.

The bigger take away is that Clifford isn't keen on testing the market. Despite a frustrating season, he's happy to ply his trade if it means becoming the Cowboys halfback long term. If things don't change in a years time, he may look elsewhere but for now he's happy to bunker down.

The other read is that his management believes Green only has a year left at the Cows and things will be different in 2021.

You would have to think that Green needs to turn things around next year or he'll be looking for a new job. Two really poor seasons, it's probably only the grand final appearance in 2017 that has saved him.

The question is tho, who would the Cows gamble on to replace him.

Looks like the warriors have signed Tino Fa'asuamaleaui on a 4 year $750k deal. Storm leaking players left right and centre now

You would have to think that Green needs to turn things around next year or he'll be looking for a new job. Two really poor seasons, it's probably only the grand final appearance in 2017 that has saved him.

He can still bank on winning them the title in 15. He did deliver it after years of mediocre performances. Replacing Thurston was always going to be extremely hard for him, **** we still haven't really replaced Lockyer since he retired. If he can keep Morgan healthy, it will go along way to keeping him career at the cowboys still going.

His daughter lives here already, she goes to school on the north side. He is here all the time visiting. I’m assuming that’s the child he’s won custody of.
If there's any chance of JAC being interested in living in Brisbane, we should give him an open cheque. He's a superstar.

I think he definitely deserves some slack for the troops he's had to replace and the results he's delivered. JT burned out badly in his final season and Morgan struggled to get on the park consistently last year. With his star players delivering so little, it's hard to say another Coach would have done better.

Realistically, he got them a Premiership in 2015 and he oversaw a huge result to make the Grand Final in 2017. I'd say on balance, weighing it against two poor seasons with some decent mitigating circumstances, that he definitely deserves a bit more time to show he can reinvent their spine and turn it all around.

Last edited:
I think he definitely deserves some slack for the troops he's had to replace and the results he's delivered. JT burned out badly in his final season and Morgan struggled to get on the park consistently last year. With his star players delivering so little, it's hard to say another Coach would have done better.

Realistically, he got them a Premiership in 2015 and he oversaw a huge result to make the Grand Final in 2017. I'd say on balance, weighing it against two poor seasons with some decent mitigating circumstances, that he definitely deserves a bit more time to show he can reinvent their spine and turn it all around.
If I look at the cowboys from a coaching perspective I think the primary issue is the halves.

Morgan played well outside JT as a running half... he then played ok when JT was injured, but I think there should be an asterisk in that 2017 run given their form leading into the finals barely had them scraping in at 8.

In JT's final year it looked like JT was trying to take a back seat and let Morgan run things but he was unable to... and then last year they weren't able to get anything going with Clifford/Morgan halves pairing.

It's like Clifford and Morgan play better when only one of them is there.

I think they should let Clifford run the show and let Morgan be the 6 again. The only issue is he is worth nowhere near $1m for what he brings as a 6.

Green also seems reliant on the sweep play having success from Coote, so it will be interesting to see if he can adapt to a runner like Val.

All in all I don't think Green is getting the best out of that cowboys squad at present and to me I think he will need to change his tactics to get them playing well

Last edited:

You’re right but those 3 are all pretty good.

If I look at the cowboys from a coaching perspective I think the primary issue is the halves.

Morgan played well outside JT as a running half... he then played ok when JT was injured, but I think there should be an asterisk in that 2017 run given their form leading into the finals barely had them scraping in at 8.

In JT's final year it looked like JT was trying to take a back seat and let Morgan run things but he was unable to... and then last year they weren't able to get anything going with Clifford/Morgan halves pairing.

I think they should let Clifford run the show and let Morgan be the 6 again. The only issue is he is worth nowhere near $1m for what he brings as a 6.

Green also seems reliant on the sweep play having success from Coote, so it will be interesting to see if he can adapt to a runner like Val.

All in all I don't think Green is getting the best out of that cowboys squad at present and to me I think he will need to change his tactics to get them playing well
Not sure about the aterisk for 2017. I think you're judged on where your season finishes, not where the 26 Rounds finish. If your season ends on Grand Final day, then that's where you should be judged.

That aside though, I agree he has some major work to do, and all I'm saying is they should grant him some time to make the necessary changes before they go pulling the trigger, which I think at this point would be premature. I say that because I think a recent Premiership and a Grand Final should buy you more credit than two poor seasons should be allowed to detract from.

Last edited:

Morgan and Munster are both eerily similar as players. Neither are halves but have had success there because they’ve played with all time greats. Morgan has looked shit house outside of that run a couple of years back. We’ll see the same from Munster when Smith retires, we already have in origin.

The cows have also blown stupid amounts of cash on their top players and are going to find it hard to hold onto any juniors they want to keep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Big Del
  • Foordy
  • cento
  • Fozz
  • Xzei
  • GCBRONCO
  • FACTHUNT
  • Sproj
  • kiwi2
  • Fitzy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.