NRL Player Movements & Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joey Leilua is set to join his brother at the Wests Tigers on a 3 year deal.

For the Wests Tigers it fills a void they were desperately trying to fill and gives them somebody who can create try scoring opportunities. On his day, I'd be prepared to say Leilua is one of the most talented players in the competition.

For the Raiders, it signals the end of an era where the Leipana connection was their main attacking weapon. I'd say from 2016-2018 they were the stars of the club and in 2016 they were among the best players in the competition. In a way it's a healthy development for the Raiders as both players, Leilua especially, could be selfish players and given the current ethos of the Raiders, it doesn't mesh well together.

When Curtis Scott initially signed with the Raiders, I thought there would be a straight swap for Leilua which would have been interesting to see play out. Melbourne decided to look elsewhere and they've since signed Brenko Lee to take their roster to 29. That's all they need to announce by the start of the season, while #30 doesn't have to be named until the June 30 deadline. They've got some options in the centres, I think fantasy coaches should definitely consider their options with Lee and Lumelume.

Melbourne decided to look elsewhere and they've since signed Brenko Lee to take their roster to 29.
I hate Melbourne but here's hoping Bellamy can teach Brenko how to defend because if he learns to tackle he'd be a walk up start for QLD.... and that's saying something

The Gold Coast have signed Beau Fermor, a promising backrow from the Newcastle Knights.

He was a stand out for the Melbourne Storm 20s before being snaffled up. Has had injury concerns which has kept him out of first grade but he was beckoning for a call up.

It gives the Titans some much needed options out on the flank.

Not the NRL but Israel Folau is playing Rugby League again.

Here are a couple of statements re: the Folau signing

From Folau, confirming that he won't continue to express his personal religious views in public:

“I acknowledge the views expressed by Super League and the Rugby Football League,” Folau said in a statement.

“I'm a proud Christian, my beliefs are personal, my intention is not to hurt anyone and I will not be making further public comment about them. I look forward to my return to the great game of Rugby League with the Catalans Dragons.”

From the Super League Executive Chairman - Robert Elstone

“Super League deplores the homophobic comments Israel Folau has made in the past, which squarely contradict our sport’s core values,” Elstone said in a statement.

“I have sought the opinion of informed voices connected to our game, and the majority share my disappointment that one of our clubs has chosen to sign him. There is a strong feeling that the decision to sign him lets down many people connected to our sport. I made Catalans Dragons aware of those views.

“However, Super League does not have the authority to veto the registration of players and is satisfied by the due diligence carried out by The Rugby Football League. Israel Folau is a free agent, who has the right to work, and he has not been charged or found guilty of any criminal offence.

“Catalans Dragons has assured Super League that strict guidelines are in place to prevent the player from repeating his comments. They have also assured us that his contract will be terminated immediately should he do so.”

The RFL added: “However distasteful his previous comments, we don’t believe that, under our current regulatory framework, these can prevent his participation in the sport.

“We have sought and received reassurances from both the player and the club regarding future behaviour.

“The RFL has taken and will continue to take action where any player breaches expected standards of behaviour while registered with a club, and comments that conflict with our commitment to Inclusion and Diversity across the game will not be tolerated.”

The RFL’s players’ code of conduct states that players should “never engage in discriminatory or unacceptable conduct of any sort including swearing, obscene gestures, offensive remarks, taunting or other actions that are demeaning or disrespectful to other players, officials or supporters”, and to “treat others as you would like to be treated”.

From Catalans Dragons chairman Bernard Guasch

“We want to give Israel a new opportunity to shine on the pitch,” said Guasch. “We do not support or agree with Israel’s previously expressed and controversial views which are based upon his sincerely held religious belief. We do not share or condone those views and we are totally committed to our club and our sport being open and welcoming to everyone. We do not believe that those views should be publicly expressed, especially by a high-profile sports person.

“We have a signed agreement with the RFL. Any transgression will trigger an immediate termination of Israel’s contract and a substantial fine for the club.”

Last edited:
Here are a couple of statements re: the Folau signing

From Folau, confirming that he won't continue to express his personal religious views in public:

From the Super League Executive Chairman - Robert Elstone

From Catalans Dragons chairman Bernard Guasch

Does really make you wonder if the NRL would have been able to refuse to register him?

I mean I'm sure they could have refused to register him, but it would have been really interesting to see if it ended up in court over it and what the outcome of that would have been.

Says he won't air them in public. Didn't he post his last stuff to a private group?

Says he won't air them in public. Didn't he post his last stuff to a private group?
His famous Insta post is open to all and it’s still up.

They will forget very quickly when he is dominating for them. He will be back in the NRL next year. If we can let fuckheads back in like Barba and Carney, Folau will have no problem

They will forget very quickly when he is dominating for them. He will be back in the NRL next year. If we can let fuckheads back in like Barba and Carney, Folau will have no problem
You're right of course. I never had a problem with Carney, he could have drank a swimming pool of urine for all that I cared! I still think he was the most unfairly treated of all nrl stars mind you, I didn't hear all his background details.

You're right of course. I never had a problem with Carney, he could have drank a swimming pool of urine for all that I cared! I still think he was the most unfairly treated of all nrl stars mind you, I didn't hear all his background details.
To be completely fair to the NRL, the bubbler incident is all people remember but in truth it was just the straw that broke the camels back.

In isolation it was hardly a huge offence, but when it gets piled on top of Todd Carney's almost decade long rap sheet that had forced multiple clubs to sack him, including offences which a judge acknowledged he had been extremely fortunate to avoid jail time for, it can hardly be surprising that the NRL said enough is enough.

He had consistently and repeatedly over many years shown a complete disregard for the clubs who employed him, the general public, and the game overall, and he can hardly be surprised that the NRL is unwilling to entertain his behaviour again.

If you want to feel sorry for anyone, try Steve Irwin (the footballer, not the Crocodile Hunter) who was sacked by the Raiders in 2007 despite no Police charges whatsoever, whilst he was the passenger in a car that Carney drove on a Police chase through Canberra and that Carney was later actually charged for, but not sacked by the Raiders like they did with Irwin. To rub salt into the wounds, Irwin in later years admitted he'd been advised by the Raiders to cover up the fact that Carney had been heavily intoxicated at the time of the incident. If anyone deserves pity over anything related to Todd Carney, surely it's this guy first and foremost.

Last edited:
To be completely fair to the NRL, the bubbler incident is all people remember but in truth it was just the straw that broke the camels back.

In isolation it was hardly a huge offence, but when it gets piled on top of Todd Carney's almost decade long rap sheet that had forced multiple clubs to sack him, including offences which a judge acknowledged he had been extremely fortunate to avoid jail time for, it can hardly be surprising that the NRL said enough is enough.

He had consistently and repeatedly over many years shown a complete disregard for the clubs who employed him, the general public, and the game overall, and he can hardly be surprised that the NRL is unwilling to entertain his behaviour again.

If you want to feel sorry for anyone, try Steve Irwin (the footballer, not the Crocodile Hunter) who was sacked by the Raiders in 2007 despite no Police charges whatsoever, whilst he was the passenger in a car that Carney drove on a Police chase through Canberra and that Carney was later actually charged for, but not sacked by the Raiders like they did with Irwin. To rub salt into the wounds, Irwin in later years admitted he'd been advised by the Raiders to cover up the fact that Carney had been heavily intoxicated at the time of the incident. If anyone deserves pity over anything related to Todd Carney, surely it's this guy first and foremost.
Steve Irwin wasn't exactly an angel. He had a serious alcohol problem which is why the Broncos let him go. Bennett once said of him, "he could be an excellent footballer if he tones down his lifestyle". He didn't tone it down hence ruining his career. You shouldn't feel sorry for him.

Steve Irwin wasn't exactly an angel. He had a serious alcohol problem which is why the Broncos let him go. Bennett once said of him, "he could be an excellent footballer if he tones down his lifestyle". He didn't tone it down hence ruining his career. You shouldn't feel sorry for him.
Yeah I take your point, but it's hard not to see the whole incident as pretty disgraceful.

I have no issue with Canberra sacking Irwin if he was a problem, but when he's involved in an incident with one of your star players and that player is charged by Police and is convicted in Court after pleading guilty, then you've pressured him to lie on behalf of that star player to ensure he escapes further charges, then you sack Irwin who had not been charged at all but don't sack Carney, it's hard to say Irwin wasn't extremely hard done by out of it all.

Storm and Tigers looking to do the first ever one year player loan/swap with Harry Grant and Paul Mummyrobbedmeskis, interesting to see if the NRL approve this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• azza.79
  • Lurker
  • KateBroncos1812
  • The Strapper
  • GCBRONCO
  • Big Del
  • BroncosAlways
  • achievedrap
  • Allo
  • bazza
  • Bish
  • RolledOates
  • Wolfie
  • Johnny92
  • Fozz
  • ChewThePhatt
  • kiwi2
  • Old Mate
  • NSW stables
  • bb_gun
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.