NRL Player Movements & Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was there any reason we didnt go for for Allan ? Did he not want to move ? Should have been a key target for us IMHO, big loss
I don't think he was a must have for us. At 500k, I'd pass too and see what happens next year. We have Isaako and Niu there, why spend 500k if we don't have to?

500k is ridiculous for Allen. It is literally half a Tedesco and even in a very small sample size he hasn’t shown anything to suggest he could be even half as good as Tedesco.

You’d think so, except we say the same about Roosters, Melbourne, Titans. Maybe this is what’s possible under good administrations in tandem with good coaches.
Yep... I'm sure those medical retirements didn't help either.... What team is Greg inglis retiring too next year again?

500k is ridiculous for Allen. It is literally half a Tedesco and even in a very small sample size he hasn’t shown anything to suggest he could be even half as good as Tedesco.
Not sure if that’s exactly how it works 🤔

Not sure if that’s exactly how it works 🤔

Even if it does, Allan showed a fair bit this year. At 400-450k he was certainly worth the risk. 500k+ I’m not so sure but I do hope the club has Brimson in mind instead.

Even if it does, Allan showed a fair bit this year. At 400-450k he was certainly worth the risk. 500k+ I’m not so sure but I do hope the club has Brimson in mind instead.
$450k might be ok for 1-2 yrs... but 3 years.

What if he flops in his first full year at fullback now that he's no longer in a well oiled offence, no longer has Reynolds controlling and winning the field position game and no longer has Cody popping up on both sides of the field.

I would say that Cody was more influential than Allan when Mitchell got injured. Cody popped up on both sides and was the focal point of their sweep plays. To me Cody was playing more like the old fashioned second receiver, which is basically the current day fullback.

Allan usually sat outside Cody.... at the dogs he'll have Wakeham or Flannigan inside him and Barret will likely incorporate split halves, because that's what Penrith played with this year.

Last edited:
$450k might be ok for 1-2 yrs... but 3 years.

What if he flops in his first full year at fullback now that he's no longer in a well oiled offence, no longer has Reynolds controlling and winning the field position game and no longer has Cody popping up on both sides of the field.

I would say that Cody was more influential than Allan when Mitchell got injured. Cody popped up on both sides and was the focal point of their sweep plays. To me Cody was playing more like the old fashioned second receiver, which is basically the current day fullback.

Allan usually sat outside Cody.... at the dogs he'll have Wakeham or Flannigan inside him and Barret will likely incorporate split halves, because that's what Penrith played with this year.

It could happen but these what if’s are the same for every single player aren’t they? At the end of the day, he looked a gun coming through the lower levels and was one of the finds of the season when Latrell went down last year and started in a deciding state of origin match. The pedigree isn’t just an overnight thing here.

I’m not saying he’ll be as good as Munster but I remember when he was younger a lot of fans didn’t want to go for him because he wasn’t the flashiest and no one knew if he was a fullback or five-eighth.

The point is, sometimes you need to look at the character as well as the talent and Allan has good character, calm, has game awareness and has performed under the highest pressure of an origin decider. I want that in my side because goodness me we have some snowflakes in the current roster.

Remember, our superstar NSW kid went to jelly when the heat was applied in game 3. Allan on the other hand went to another level.

So if we don’t go all in on Brimson, I’ll be once again disappointed the club missed out on Allan.

you know what i want to know ...

why is every time we make a player move, the media constantly state figures for the deal (even if they are wide ranging "estimates") ... but when it is another club they only ever state the length of the deal

Last edited:
you know what i want to know ...

why is every time we make a player move, the media constantly state figures for the deal (even if they are wide ranging "estimates") ... but when it is another club they only ever state the length of the deal

These were my thoughts exactly when I saw the article, I just don't get it?

You don't hear a peep in Sydney most of the time, unless it's from North of the border. Not a bad signing for the Dogs in the end, it will be interesting to see how this goes with Addo Carr supposedly wanting the #1 jersey come 2021.

These were my thoughts exactly when I saw the article, I just don't get it?

You don't hear a peep in Sydney most of the time, unless it's from North of the border. Not a bad signing for the Dogs in the end, it will be interesting to see how this goes with Addo Carr supposedly wanting the #1 jersey come 2021.

Addo-Carr does not want to be a fullback, he wants fullback money.

Addo-Carr does not want to be a fullback, he wants fullback money.

Ah, another classic case of money well-earned. I daresay a year or two in the system and Reimis Smith may well kill it for the Storm anyway.

It could happen but these what if’s are the same for every single player aren’t they? At the end of the day, he looked a gun coming through the lower levels and was one of the finds of the season when Latrell went down last year and started in a deciding state of origin match. The pedigree isn’t just an overnight thing here.

I’m not saying he’ll be as good as Munster but I remember when he was younger a lot of fans didn’t want to go for him because he wasn’t the flashiest and no one knew if he was a fullback or five-eighth.

The point is, sometimes you need to look at the character as well as the talent and Allan has good character, calm, has game awareness and has performed under the highest pressure of an origin decider. I want that in my side because goodness me we have some snowflakes in the current roster.

Remember, our superstar NSW kid went to jelly when the heat was applied in game 3. Allan on the other hand went to another level.

So if we don’t go all in on Brimson, I’ll be once again disappointed the club missed out on Allan.
I just think $400-500k for 3 yrs is too much of a risk for a guy that played 8 games in a well oiled machine. It could be the storm effect where once they leave the system they look a shell of their former self.

It will be interesting to see his mentality at the dogs now that he's got his payday.

Will he lift a notch and become a serious focal point of the attack (like Ponga has) or will he think his payday is rightful for the level he was already playing at and slip into 'comfortable footy' mode (like Corey Norman).

Should give a good indication of his mentality as a footy player

Last edited:
I just think $400-500k for 3 yrs is too much of a risk for a guy that played 8 games in a well oiled machine. It could be the storm effect where once they leave the system they look a shell of their former self.

It will be interesting to see his mentality at the dogs now that he's got his payday.

Will he lift a notch and become a serious focal point of the attack (like Ponga has) or will he think his payday is rightful for the level he was already playing at and slip into 'comfortable footy' mode (like Corey Norman).

Should give a good indication of his mentality as a footy player

Agree with all these points but it is no different for any player who signs an upgraded contract. Though everything I know about the guy suggests to me he isn't going to be one of those comfortable footy types.

Every player on a bigger contract comes at a risk. Unfortunately some players end up total busts like Bird while others end up going above and beyond their worth in Ponga. Unfortunately, the Broncos end up with about 90% the former.

Agree with all these points but it is no different for any player who signs an upgraded contract. Though everything I know about the guy suggests to me he isn't going to be one of those comfortable footy types.

Every player on a bigger contract comes at a risk. Unfortunately some players end up total busts like Bird while others end up going above and beyond their worth in Ponga. Unfortunately, the Broncos end up with about 90% the former.

but what do you actually know about the guy ... except for playing a few footy games

but what do you actually know about the guy ... except for playing a few footy games

Not a whole lot but I did watch him a bit coming up through the grades and I was always most impressed with him and David Fauied (I don't know the spelling nor whatever happened to him). There is also a really good interview around with them from under 20s days if anyone knows where to look incidentally. So yeah, I like everyone else, can only go on the little I know, I'm not claiming intimate knowledge here but there is a background for my thoughts anyway.

It's very smart business by Souths. Barring injuries, Allan is never going to be as good as Latrell. Matching that Dogs offer just to play him on the wing would have made little to no sense.

Souths have some decent depth out wide in Paulo, Johnston and potentially one of Burns/Gagai/Graham so letting go of Allan probably doesn't hurt them in the long run.

It does raise a question as to what on earth the Dogs are doing though. Hoppa, DWZ, Allan and Meaney are all capable at FB. No doubt there's abit of flexibility in terms of where those guys can play but with Cotric incoming, Averillo the anointed one and Okunbur returning from an ACL they could be stacked for outside backs. That's before they get JAC too.

It's very smart business by Souths. Barring injuries, Allan is never going to be as good as Latrell. Matching that Dogs offer just to play him on the wing would have made little to no sense.

Souths have some decent depth out wide in Paulo, Johnston and potentially one of Burns/Gagai/Graham so letting go of Allan probably doesn't hurt them in the long run.

It does raise a question as to what on earth the Dogs are doing though. Hoppa, DWZ, Allan and Meaney are all capable at FB. No doubt there's abit of flexibility in terms of where those guys can play but with Cotric incoming, Averillo the anointed one and Okunbur returning from an ACL they could be stacked for outside backs. That's before they get JAC too.

I reckon DWZ is on his way out. I am fairly sure he is on a sizable contract and they won't renew it. The other dudes are all expendable. Okunbur could be anything, such an amazing talent but a total space cadet, would not be surprised if he goes the way of a Dave Taylor or Jamal Idris.

I reckon DWZ is on his way out. I am fairly sure he is on a sizable contract and they won't renew it. The other dudes are all expendable. Okunbur could be anything, such an amazing talent but a total space cadet, would not be surprised if he goes the way of a Dave Taylor or Jamal Idris.
I don't rate DWZ at all. He's like a poor man's Gagai, absolutely sensational at rep level but he's rubbish for club. Usually puts in 2-3 performances that make you think "wow what a player" but then serves up tripe ever other week.

As for Okunbur, I'm a fan however your description is perfect. Be interesting to see how he mentally bounces back from the off-field stuff he went through followed by the significant injury. I hope he makes it back.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• winslow_wong
  • Organix
  • mystico
  • Porthoz
  • BroncosAlways
  • Foordy
  • Harry Sack
  • Stix
  • Xzei
  • cento
  • Mr Fourex
  • bazza
  • Justwin
  • Johnny92
  • broncos4life
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Strop
  • Broncosgirl
  • kman
  • bb_gun
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.