NRL Player Movements & Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I guess we now know how you feel about White, welcome on board mate. Hehe

this isn't the thread to talk about this. besides i really can't be fucked arguing with you again

my opinion is that he has never shown anything special in his stint at fullback so far.
my opinion is that his asking price was too high and probably due to him Bradburying his way into a QLD jumper
my opinion is that he is nothing more than a stop gap option at fullback for us
my opinion is that BHQ only want to sign him out of desperation to see signings for the sake of making signings
my opinion is that BHQ would start whinging about us signing him, if it costs us a better option next season, especially if he fails to live up to the hype.
1. Nothing special about a 149 running metres average, 8 tries, 7 try assists, 10 line breaks in what was basically his debut season as a Fullback. Right...
2. 'His asking price is too high' but you have no actual idea what it was which is the, whole basis of your argument.
3. He may well have 'Bradburyed' his way into the Maroons side, but he still managed 149 running metres, a Try assist, and would have had one more if Valentine Holmes could catch so much as a cold. His shot on Tupou to force the error in the play where Munster sets up Edrick Lee was also perfect and his presence of mind to impede JAC probably saved an almost certain Blues try. I don't care how he got picked, I care about what kind of account he gave of himself in the jumper and so should you.
4. We currently don't even have so much as a stop gap option at Fullback. We just sold Jack Bird for cents on the dollar so now we literally have an all time rock bottom formwise Isaako who was battling to hold down a Wing berth, and a completely untried and untested Tesi Niu. If they don't work out we are in dire, and I mean absolutely dire, circumstances in a key spine role.
5. I don't think it is unreasonable for people to want signings considering our current roster just turned in one of the worst seasons in NRL history, let alone just Broncos history. The fact he's in a vital position for us and has better credentials than anything we currently have only reinforces this point.
6. I'm not sure what better options are likely to be on the horizon next season, especially at Fullback. Quality Fullbacks cost big $$$ and that's if you could even get your hands on one, which is next to impossible because the good ones are mostly secured long term at their current clubs, or don't have any association with us or the city of Brisbane, so unlike Allan's case, they very likely would want top dollar to come here.

Last edited:
1. Nothing special about a 149 running metres average, 8 tries, 7 try assists, 10 line breaks in what was basically his debut season as a Fullback. Right...
2. 'His asking price is too high' but you have no actual idea what it was which is the, whole basis of your argument.
3. He may well have 'Bradburyed' his way into the Maroons side, but he still managed 149 running metres, a Try assist, and would have had one more if Valentine Holmes could catch so much as a cold. His shot on Tupou to force the error in the play where Munster sets up Edrick Lee was also perfect and his presence of mind to impede JAC probably saved an almost certain Blues try. I don't care how he got picked, I care about what kind of account he gave of himself in the jumper and so should you.
4. We currently don't even have so much as a stop gap option at Fullback. We just sold Jack Bird for cents on the dollar so now we literally have an all time rock bottom formwise Isaako who was battling to hold down a Wing berth, and a completely untried and untested Tesi Niu. If they don't work out we are in dire, and I mean absolutely dire, circumstances in a key spine role.
5. I don't think it is unreasonable for people to want signings considering our current roster just turned in one of the worst seasons in NRL history, let alone just Broncos history. The fact he's in a vital position for us and has better credentials than anything we currently have only reinforces this point.
6. I'm not sure what better options are likely to be on the horizon next season, especially at Fullback. Quality Fullbacks cost big $$$ and that's if you could even get your hands on one, which is next to impossible because the good ones are mostly secured long term at their current clubs, or don't have any association with us or the city of Brisbane, so unlike Allan's case, they very likely would want top dollar to come here.

Corey Allen averaged 135 running meters in 2020 putting him at number 10 for all fullbacks in the NRL (although still much better than Mitchell who averaged a paltry 85)

he would be an improvement on Darius ... but that isn't saying much

Corey Allen averaged 135 running meters in 2020 putting him at number 10 for all fullbacks in the NRL (although still much better than Mitchell who averaged a paltry 85)

he would be an improvement on Darius ... but that isn't saying much

Also a vast improvement on Niu and Isaako...which is kind of significant in this discussion.

On another note, which fullbacks are off contract for 22 that we could potentially get?

Also a vast improvement on Niu and Isaako...which is kind of significant in this discussion.

On another note, which fullbacks are off contract for 22 that we could potentially get?
Brimson, Papy, Gutho, Manu and RTS are the big ones. He'd be low on my list but also Dylan Edwards.

Not saying we're a chance of getting any of those but just throw overs at them and at least make the respective clubs pay to keep them.

You watch Isaako/Nui running meter significantly climb in 2021 when their not playing in a team getting dominated every week (FYI they were sitting at 92 and 99m average respectively in a team that was constantly dominated)

off contract fullbacks for the 2022 season

Caleb Aekins, Jesse Arthars, Dale Copley, Anthony Don, Scott Drinkwater, Matthew Dufty, Josh Dugan, Peta Hiku, Tex Hoy, Jahrome Hughes, William Kennedy, Kurt Mann, Nick Meaney, Latrell Mitchell, Matt Moylan, Cody Ramsey, Murray Taulagi

the two that i would be chasing are Drinkwater and Hughes, IMO, both offer more value than Allen

Brimson, Papy, Gutho, Manu and RTS are the big ones. He'd be low on my list but also Dylan Edwards.

Not saying we're a chance of getting any of those but just throw overs at them and at least make the respective clubs pay to keep them.

those guys aren't available until 2023 season

You watch Isaako/Nui running meter significantly climb in 2021 when their not playing in a team getting dominated every week (FYI they were sitting at 92 and 99m average respectively in a team that was constantly dominated)

off contract fullbacks for the 2022 season

Caleb Aekins, Jesse Arthars, Dale Copley, Anthony Don, Scott Drinkwater, Matthew Dufty, Josh Dugan, Peta Hiku, Tex Hoy, Jahrome Hughes, William Kennedy, Kurt Mann, Nick Meaney, Latrell Mitchell, Matt Moylan, Cody Ramsey, Murray Taulagi

the two that i would be chasing are Drinkwater and Hughes, IMO, both offer more value than Allen

But would those guys have been cheaper than Allan would have been? I doubt it and in the case of Hughes, possibly significantly more expensive.

I'm not against giving Niu and Isaako a chance to prove themselves though for the year now we missed out on Allan. I am hoping we go all in on Brimson, even if he isn't available until 23. Or, hopefully Walsh comes on in leaps and bounds.

But would those guys have been cheaper than Allan would have been? I doubt it and in the case of Hughes, possibly significantly more expensive.

I'm not against giving Niu and Isaako a chance to prove themselves though for the year now we missed out on Allan. I am hoping we go all in on Brimson, even if he isn't available until 23. Or, hopefully Walsh comes on in leaps and bounds.

Hughes would be far more expensive and probably will only go somewhere for a halves spot now.

Drinkwater would be a similar price to Allen, maybe even a bit cheaper, since Allen may have upped his price since Origin.

I would take Brimson in a heartbeat if we could get him.

pure speculation based on nothing that I can see.
I dunno, I reckon we should be bringing up the fact that the cost of living is cheaper than it is in Sydney. Plus a new Kia and one of those McDonald’s cards and sorting out a house could sway their decisions. Why shouldn’t we use all of these things to benefit us. Everyone else does. We need to do everything the Roosters do.

That's also including games where they played in other positions, at fullback their stats look like:

Isaako at Fullback (2020)
6 Games, 1 Try, 15.2 Runs Avg, 139m Avg, 45.2m Avg Kick Returns, 45.3m Post Contact, 1 Line-Break, 4 Line-Break Assists, 1 Try Assist, 22 Tackle-Breaks, 4 Offloads, 4 Errors, 3 Penalties

Niu at Fullback (2020)
4 Games, 0 Tries, 18 Runs Avg, 139.3m Avg, 56.8m Avg Kick Return, 33.3m Post Contact, 1 Line-Break, 2 Line-Break Assists, 2 Try Assists, 13 Tackle-Breaks, 1 Offload, 5 Errors, 0 Penalties

I think you'll also find a lot of Corey Allan's 135m per game came on the back of sweeping plays where he's gifted 10+ metres of free real estate from the brilliance of Damien Cook / Cody Walker / Adam Reynolds.

Would be interested to see what his numbers would've looked like running off Turpin, Milford & Croft. Less impressive I'd imagine.

That's also including games where they played in other positions, at fullback their stats look like:

Isaako at Fullback (2020)
6 Games, 1 Try, 15.2 Runs Avg, 139m Avg, 45.2m Avg Kick Returns, 45.3m Post Contact, 1 Line-Break, 4 Line-Break Assists, 1 Try Assist, 22 Tackle-Breaks, 4 Offloads, 4 Errors, 3 Penalties

Niu at Fullback (2020)
4 Games, 0 Tries, 18 Runs Avg, 139.3m Avg, 56.8m Avg Kick Return, 33.3m Post Contact, 1 Line-Break, 2 Line-Break Assists, 2 Try Assists, 13 Tackle-Breaks, 1 Offload, 5 Errors, 0 Penalties
How about Allan... did the previous stats include his games on the wing??

I can see he played wing 4 times and fullback 3 times in the regular season, but unsure of the best place to get all the stats

How about Allan... did the previous stats include his games on the wing??

I can see he played wing 4 times and fullback 3 times in the regular season, but unsure of the best place to get all the stats
Was just looking at this, as a bonus here's his 2019 stats.

SeasonGamesTriesRunsMetresPost-ContactLBLBATATackle-BreaksOffloadsErrorsPenaltiesRuck Infringements
2019​
5​
1​
11.2​
91.2​
23.2​
0​
2​
1​
6​
3​
2​
0​
0​
2020​
6​
4​
15.8​
152.67​
45.5​
6​
7​
5​
12​
3​
7​
1​
0​

So hopefully that helps paint a more accurate picture.

Last edited:
So let me get this straight, your argument is that we should pass on the guy who just competently played Fullback during Origin and a successful finals campaign for his club this year and stick with either the guy who's just had two absolutely awful seasons on the Wing and another guy who played a handful of first grade games, mostly in cameo roles off the Bench, who I presume you've never watched for even a moment outside of those limited minutes of NRL, and you're basing this decision on us needing to 'pay on performance, not on potential' :rofl

I'm not suggesting he's elite, or that he's even a gun at this stage, but to not see him as well in front of both Isaako and Niu at this point, both on performances AND on potential, is simply not living in reality.
Well said.....but your wasting it replying to someone whos opinion is the only one that matters

I don't think his asking price was that far from reasonable. He's also likely to have come here for a little less than he might have been able to get elsewhere, so it's not to say we couldn't have got a better deal than the Bulldogs did.

I dont think he has shown anywhere near enough to warrant a good contract yet. Seems though a lot of clubs throw around big money contracts at players who havent achieved anything.

I dont think he has shown anywhere near enough to warrant a good contract yet. Seems though a lot of clubs throw around big money contracts at players who havent achieved anything.
Exactly. He's played 6 decent game at fullback in a team that was absolutely humming with a settled spine and attacking structure.

I'm most interested to see how he plays with the 15th placed dogs who will have Flannigan, Wakeham and who the **** knows at hooker in their spine with him.

Souths finished the 4th best attacking team last year... dogs only finished above us by 14 points!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• pennywisealfie
  • Hurrijo
  • bb_gun
  • Organix
  • Midean
  • Rookie Alan
  • broncos4life
  • Adammacca
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Harry Sack
  • lynx000
  • Sproj
  • Broncorob
  • Kev_Guz
  • theshed
  • Allo
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Fitzy
... and 15 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.