Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
taumaloloj--tackled-170310700.jpg

NRL to change stripping rule in tackles

February 16, 2018

The NRL has informed clubs of a rule change for the 2018 Telstra Premiership, making alterations to the one-on-one strip.

At Tuesday’s chief executive conference at Rugby League Central, the clubs were informed of the alteration that could have an impact on defensive strategies heading into the new season.

Previously players were penalised for stripping the ball in a one-on-one situation if another defender had made any contact in the tackle leading up to the ball being raked.

However, under the new rule, the players can strip the ball in a one-on-one situation regardless of previous contact made by teammates.

This moves comes after the NRL previously announced a crackdown on incorrect play the balls.

Source: NRL.com

That's actually a good rule change...but the skeptic in me thinks they will still manage to find a way to mess it up.

Yeah I like it too. It adds a bit of craftiness back to defence where smaller skilful players have a chance at turning the momentum, rather than waiting for your big guys to force a turnover through a collision. It’d be great if steals became more common.

Absolutely...BUT you just know that the refs will just pick and choose when this rule should apply, etc so they can make sure the team who needs a leg-up gets it.

For better or for worse teams are going to do their best to exploit this rule. First bloke smashes the ball carrier with everything they have before dropping out of the tackle then some little smartass like Ben Hunt or JT just rips the ball out of their hands while they are dazed and confused.

For better or for worse teams are going to do their best to exploit this rule. First bloke smashes the ball carrier with everything they have before dropping out of the tackle then some little smartass like Ben Hunt or JT just rips the ball out of their hands while they are dazed and confused.
Sounds like a great tactic. What’s the issue?

About the only I liked about being forced to play union at school was being allowed to rake the ball. I think it's a great rule change.

A rule change that actually involves common sense. I truly look forward to seeing how the NRL will most surely **** it up completely.

Fantastic rule change. Let’s just wait and see how this impacts the Storm and the Roosters first though, if it doesn’t suit it will have to go.

Yeah, could be good until Bellamy and Green pull it apart. Certainly it's well intended but I can see the ball carrier being held up just long enough for a second defender to get hold of the ball then getting the call to drop off so the second guy can strip the ball. All good if it isn't repeated too many times, hopefully the refs don't take the wording literally and apply the rule as I think it's intended which is to ignore a tackler who is shrugged off.

So 1 rule change, 1 rule to be policed properly ( play the ball ) now we just need them to sort out the deliberate penalties on the try line ( too much to ask ? )

Last edited:
Yeah, could be good until Bellamy and Green pull it apart. Certainly it's well intended but I can see the ball carrier being held up just long enough for a second defender to get hold of the ball then getting the call to drop off so the second guy can strip the ball. All good if it isn't repeated too many times, hopefully the refs don't take the wording literally and apply the rule as I think it's intended which is to ignore a tackler who is shrugged off.

So 1 rule change, 1 rule to be policed properly ( play the ball ) now we just need them to sort out the deliberate penalties on the try line ( too much to ask ? )

That's part of the 5yr plan.

I can see players leading with desperate attempts to punch the ball out when defending the line.

I like it in theory but agree suspect ripe for gaming/exploitation. Just half strip it with 3 guys in a modified chicken wing and headlock then all let go for last guy to do the final removal. Would like it trialled in QLD Cup for a year then evaluated. Current rule has issues but it is clear and hard to game.

Unread

Active Now

• Jedhead
  • Porthoz
  • Mick_Hancock
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.