NEWS NRL's secret plan to overhaul Bunker; Sloan to quit Dragons; Cobbo for Origin

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2F_%2Fmedia%2F2017%2F05%2F05%2F11%2F44%2Fthe_mole_byline.jpg
By The Mole | 8 hours ago
Source: WWOS

The NRL is set to remove under-performing officials from the Bunker in a move that will delight frustrated coaches, players and fans. Wide World of Sports has learned that senior NRL officials are deeply concerned with the inconsistencies in the Bunker's rulings. As a result, several of the main offenders will be removed from working in the high-tech room in a major shift that should improve the consistency of the Bunker.

Former referee Steve Chiddy, who has presided over State of Origin games and grand finals from the Bunker, was stood down recently and is unlikely to return. Chiddy came up with a howler in the clash between the Raiders and the Warriors in round eight, awarding the Warriors a controversial late penalty when prop Matt Lodge stayed on the ground holding his face, after copping a supposed high-shot.

The Warriors kicked the ensuing goal, levelling the scores and went on to win the game in extra time. Lodge later admitted he milked the penalty, with contact shown to be minimal. Several other officials who have struggled with the technology will also be slowly removed from the Bunker, with only proven performers getting games - even if it means they will do several per weekend.

Fans have been left infuriated by the Bunker for several seasons, while in recent weeks coaches Ricky Stuart, Des Hasler, and Todd Payten have criticised its role in crucial calls that have decided games.

SLOAN MAY LEAVE DRAGONS

Don't be surprised if talented young Dragons fullback Tyrell Sloan - touted as the next big thing at the Dragons at the start of the year - quits the club. Sloan had strips torn off him by coach Anthony Griffin recently and has told friends he believes he has no future at the club.

His confidence is badly shaken and with Cody Ramsey starring at fullback last weekend, Sloan won't be back in the top grade any time soon. The youngster has already been dropped twice in the opening 11 rounds of the season and shapes as an ideal signing for Wayne Bennett and the Dolphins.

SLATER SHOCK HAS TEEN ON VERGE OF DEBUT

Queensland has an embarrassment of riches when it comes to wingers, with Corey Oates, Kyle Feldt, Murray Taulagi, Selwyn Cobbo and Xavier Coates all available and in good form. But after his dynamic performances over the past two weeks, Cobbo will be the first winger picked.

Despite his tender age (19) and lack of experience, Cobbo is setting the NRL alight. Against the Knights last Thursday, he bagged two tries, had 224 running metres, nine tackle breaks and three line breaks.

The teenager has the speed and power to cause the Blues all sorts of headaches and I'm hearing Queensland coach Billy Slater finds him too dangerous to leave out.

Who was in the Bunker for the Flegler-Tupouniua, or the other more recent Tupouniua penalty. I don't think booting Bunker officials will do much, but if they're booting people for whatever reasons, they ought to be consistent there too.

Edit: It was Perenara for the Broncos call.

Who was in the Bunker for the Flegler-Tupouniua, or the other more recent Tupouniua penalty. I don't think booting Bunker officials will do much, but if they're booting people for whatever reasons, they ought to be consistent there too.

Shouldn't there also be screams to remove whoever made the call in the Manly / Eels game to award a penalty that eventuated in Eels match winning try.... or is it only those that go against NSWRL who will be punished 🤔🤔🤔

Shouldn't there also be screams to remove whoever made the call in the Manly / Eels game to award a penalty that eventuated in Eels match winning try.... or is it only those that go against NSWRL who will be punished 🤔🤔🤔
All of these "leaked" articles sound to me like the NRL is trying to present the appearance of doing something. However, none of it addresses the root problem, which has always been consistency. If you're going to have a "crackdown" don't do it for a few rounds, do it forever!

All of these "leaked" articles sound to me like the NRL is trying to present the appearance of doing something. However, none of it addresses the root problem, which has always been consistency. If you're going to have a "crackdown" don't do it for a few rounds, do it forever!

Or...don't have a crackdown, just do your job properly and that is to be consistent.

Or...don't have a crackdown, just do your job properly and that is to be consistent.
100%

I still can't believe they made such a huge deal about high tackles last season and maybe 2020. As if high tackles had ever been actually legal in the sport.

So fucking dumb. Contact to the head - any contact, at least in terms of first contact or forceful contact at any time, should be penalised. I thought it was about concussions anyway, which is why they started treating it with more scrutiny. So I don't care if Lodge milked it, it he was hit in the head, even minimally, then the penalty is the correct result.

But now, as per the above, refs are being dumped because they refereed as per the rules?

This isn't about the refs being more consistent, this is actually going to create more grey areas that can deliberately be exploited in order to manage games. The NSWRL just think we're fucking idiots.

Didn't he play for the Roosters????

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2F_%2Fmedia%2F2017%2F05%2F05%2F11%2F44%2Fthe_mole_byline.jpg
By The Mole | 8 hours ago
Source: WWOS

The NRL is set to remove under-performing officials from the Bunker in a move that will delight frustrated coaches, players and fans. Wide World of Sports has learned that senior NRL officials are deeply concerned with the inconsistencies in the Bunker's rulings. As a result, several of the main offenders will be removed from working in the high-tech room in a major shift that should improve the consistency of the Bunker.

Former referee Steve Chiddy, who has presided over State of Origin games and grand finals from the Bunker, was stood down recently and is unlikely to return. Chiddy came up with a howler in the clash between the Raiders and the Warriors in round eight, awarding the Warriors a controversial late penalty when prop Matt Lodge stayed on the ground holding his face, after copping a supposed high-shot.

The Warriors kicked the ensuing goal, levelling the scores and went on to win the game in extra time. Lodge later admitted he milked the penalty, with contact shown to be minimal. Several other officials who have struggled with the technology will also be slowly removed from the Bunker, with only proven performers getting games - even if it means they will do several per weekend.

Fans have been left infuriated by the Bunker for several seasons, while in recent weeks coaches Ricky Stuart, Des Hasler, and Todd Payten have criticised its role in crucial calls that have decided games.

SLOAN MAY LEAVE DRAGONS

Don't be surprised if talented young Dragons fullback Tyrell Sloan - touted as the next big thing at the Dragons at the start of the year - quits the club. Sloan had strips torn off him by coach Anthony Griffin recently and has told friends he believes he has no future at the club.

His confidence is badly shaken and with Cody Ramsey starring at fullback last weekend, Sloan won't be back in the top grade any time soon. The youngster has already been dropped twice in the opening 11 rounds of the season and shapes as an ideal signing for Wayne Bennett and the Dolphins.

SLATER SHOCK HAS TEEN ON VERGE OF DEBUT

Queensland has an embarrassment of riches when it comes to wingers, with Corey Oates, Kyle Feldt, Murray Taulagi, Selwyn Cobbo and Xavier Coates all available and in good form. But after his dynamic performances over the past two weeks, Cobbo will be the first winger picked.

Despite his tender age (19) and lack of experience, Cobbo is setting the NRL alight. Against the Knights last Thursday, he bagged two tries, had 224 running metres, nine tackle breaks and three line breaks.

The teenager has the speed and power to cause the Blues all sorts of headaches and I'm hearing Queensland coach Billy Slater finds him too dangerous to leave out.

Feldt did a knee ligament last wk end .
I doubt he will be fit to play this series .

This isn't about the refs being more consistent, this is actually going to create more grey areas that can deliberately be exploited in order to manage games. The NSWRL just think we're fucking idiots.

You may be a little too focussed on bias and management of games .
Maybe just enjoy the contest with out the - they`re out to get us filter . I think you will enjoy the entertainment more .

I think like @Morkel the thing is I'll be really enjoying the contest regardless if we're losing. As long as we're having a real go it's fine, but as soon as I see one of the real blatant inconsistencies it sort of puts a whole downer on the contest.

Having said that, it does make a win all the more enjoyable when we do manage to overcome some very questionable '50/50' decisions.

Active Now

• Dash
  • Wolfie
  • FACTHUNT
  • GCBRONCO
  • Strop
  • Mustafur
  • leon.bott
  • HVbronco
  • MrMoore
  • BroncosMan
  • Fozz
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • LittleDavey
  • Big Del
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Jazza
  • Xzei
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Mark H
... and 14 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.