NRLW & General Women's Rugby League Discussion 2021-22

Someone mentioned previously that anyone that’s left the women’s broncos team has become pretty irrelevant… will this trend continue ?

NRL couldn’t have Brisbane dominating so set a salary cap to break it apart. It’s devastating., not three weeks after both girls posted how much they love the club and the girls.

Obviously Brisbane can’t have that many at the upper salary end so the entire cap is designed to share talent to give the NrLW some credibility.

How about not expanding the comp until the skills and exposure is right? It’s so dumb

NRL couldn’t have Brisbane dominating so set a salary cap to break it apart. It’s devastating., not three weeks after both girls posted how much they love the club and the girls.

Obviously Brisbane can’t have that many at the upper salary end so the entire cap is designed to share talent to give the NrLW some credibility.

How about not expanding the comp until the skills and exposure is right? It’s so dumb

Yeah it’s still too early to expand to more clubs. Longer seasons will result in more players being used and the standard won’t drop as much and give everyone a chance to work into the season.

Before long it’ll just be an Olympic-style U23 + 2 older players comp

Even the NRL’s “main” W writer (Alicia) posting bombs that she “wanted to see the girls leave Brisbane” under some false pretence that making other clubs better is good for the game.

hey hotshot, sometimes a team going well rusts on fans longer than your “bought not bred” strategy

Meh. So disappointing. Gonna kill the comp before it starts by changing players all the time.

no hard feelings to the girls, they gotta go where the money is. But my daughter has no interest in watching the games if there’s none of her favourite players. Millie Boyle being her number one.

I’ll be happy so long as my girls Robbo and Loz Brown never leave.

I will be very interested to see who we retain first.

Side note: how nice of Newcastle to announce their signings the week we’re down there to play them.

Meh. Any interest I had left in the nrlw is now gone. It’s on the same level as AFL & Unions womens. 🤢🤢

Meh. Any interest I had left in the nrlw is now gone. It’s on the same level as AFL & Unions womens. 🤢🤢

Women’s AFL isn’t too bad. I only watch Lions games though - great group of girls.

Cathy Svarc is my favourite but there’s so many stars in that side.

They had the same problem where they expanded too quickly and the standard really dropped outside a few teams

I am surprised because it’s not as if the female players can up and relocate as easily as the men on reduced salaries as they are……can they?

They are only on six week contracts and they are up at the end of every season. It makes it hard to retain players. Pay is also so low that if someone can give you $10k more you'll move- knowing you're just moving for six weeks.

I think $350k cap and two outside that is fair- what I think they need to look at and it's too late now was making contracts a year- especially this year when it has two seasons.

Average income.

Domestic Cricket $86,456
Super Netball $75,167
AFLW $47,407
WNBL $37.500
A League W $17,181
NRLW $10,000

Minimum Income

Domestic Cricket $49,051
Super Netball $43,000
AFLW $39,184
WNBL $15,000
A League W $16,334
NRLW $8000

Contracted athletes

Domestic Cricket 113
Super Netball 80
AFLW 540
WNBL 83
A League W 211
NRLW 144

Total contract spend

Domestic Cricket $9.76m
Super Netball $6.03m
AFLW $25.6
WNBL $3.112m
A League W $3.625m
NRLW $1.44m

impressive that cricket and netball pay a living wage to female athletes. great to see. let's hope we see the NRLW reach the same level in the coming years.

How many games do the other sports play every year? I definitely think we have the best women's product. I'd be happy with a full season of 20 games when there's enough teams.

I’ll be happy so long as my girls Robbo and Loz Brown never leave.

I will be very interested to see who we retain first.

Side note: how nice of Newcastle to announce their signings the week we’re down there to play them.

Loz Brown is coming down here confirmed by the Titans an hour ago.

Season 11 Reaction GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

This was what expansion etc was all about - stopping the Brisbane domination.

Well its worked and you know what, so be it. Let's see what our coach has got now, what can made of this opportunity for fresh blood?

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • Shane Tronc
  • FACTHUNT
  • Manifesto
  • Johnny92
  • MrTickyMcG
  • winslow_wong
  • RolledOates
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.