NRLW & General Women's Rugby League Discussion 2021-22

I understand that it's better for the game if all clubs are aligned, if all your cubs have a ISC, CC, MM, Colts, U19 and BHP then that works better than having one club here in Colts but not in U19 and a club in BHP but not in ISC.

Valleys was such a good story for the competition last year and Prince and Dyer did a terrific job of fostering that history. They had three second gen fathers/daughters playing and it had a great feel at games.

Ali has played for three clubs- so she hasn't been Valleys since she was 10. Changing clubs isn't new to her- she's done it before at Souths and Ipswich Brothers when they were in competitions.

Yep I totally understand that and have thought the same in regards to the QRL's aim here, and as well with Ali's career at multiple clubs. It's just appears like another example of NRLHQ-type maladministration with regards to player and club communication and respect.

Yep I totally understand that and have thought the same in regards to the QRL's aim here, and as well with Ali's career at multiple clubs. It's just appears like another example of NRLHQ-type maladministration with regards to player and club communication and respect.

I think there is going to be a bit of pain until they get it, they needed clubs in the competition but now want everyone having the same teams within their clubs.

It's not going to be seamless.

NRLW 2021 DRAW

98CAEED4 693D 438E A7A9 0E56BA34F9CF

Only 1 home game? What a rort.

Seems like the Knights are the only team to get two home games.

We'll just have to make up for it by locking in all the home finals.

Seems like the Knights are the only team to get two home games.

We'll just have to make up for it by locking in all the home finals.
Ah I see now, they're mainly neutral venues. Dragons get 2 as well, one each at Kogarah and Wollongong.

A lot of movement and announcements since my last post of player movements, and please indulge my cliched journalisms.

Squads as follows

Brisbane Broncos:

Have lost a lot in the way of depth and have turned to some kids and cross-coders to fill the spots. The usual suspects are still there but I feel with longer comp and increased competition, a four-peat is unlikely.

Gains: Sara Sautia (QLDU19s/WBPanthers), Jada Ferguson (QLDU19s/Tweed), Lesa Kaleti Mataafa (Reds), Toni Hunt (Valleys), Emily Bass (Reds), Broncos Touch/9s player Hayley Maddick (Valleys), Kaitlyn Phillips (Roosters) and Amy Turner returns after having time off to have a baby.

Re-signed: Tarryn Aiken, Millie Boyle, Ali Brigginshaw, Lauren Brown, Shenae Ciesolka, Lavinia Gould, Amber Hall, Tallisha Harden, Chelsea Lenarduzzi, Julia Robinson, Nakita Sao and Tamika Upton

Losses: Zara Canfield (Titans), Jessika Elliston (Titans), Jayme Fressard (Knights), Shannon Mato (Titans), Chante Temara (Roosters), Romy Teitzel (Knights)

Unsigned from last season: Tyler Birch, Annette Brander, Raecene McGregor, Meg Ward.

Squad: Tarryn Aiken, Emily Bass, Millie Boyle, Ali Brigginshaw, Lauren Brown, Shenae Ciesolka, Jada Ferguson, Lavinia Gould, Amber Hall, Tallisha Harden, Toni Hunt, Chelsea Lenarduzzi, Hayley Maddick, Lesa Kaleti Mataafa, Hagiga Mosby, Roxy Murdoch, Kaitlyn Phillips, China Polata, Jessikah Reeves, Julia Robinson, Nakita Sao, Sara Sautia, Amy Turner, Tamika Upton.

20/24 players

Coach: Kelvin Wright

Key signings/Players: Outside the elite players that stayed on, there's honestly not much to get overly excited about as the new signings are all untested at the higher level.

Ferguson played 5/8th for QLD U19s so she may be Tarryn's new partner at some stage this season with Ali at lock, or we may play her off the bench. Brown also an option if we run with a less experienced backline.

Maddick is a Broncos and Australian Touch Rep and won the 2019 Dally M for Touch Player of the Year, plays fullback for Valleys

The test for Brisbane is how these new signings will fit in and if it involves positional shifts and if the girls can lift with the additional stronger competition. If we look to stick with the youth for future development I'd like to see Hannah Larsson, Fiona Jahnke and Makenzie Weale announced in the last four as well. Weale had a very good BHP season in particular

UPDATE 19/02/2022:

Brisbane complete their squad with Roxy Murdoch (Ben Murdoch-Masila's wife), Hagiga Mosby, China Polata and Jessikah Reeves. The first two I actually knew and were reported but forgot to include them in the last update. Polata and Reeves are both QLD U19s reps, fullback and 2nd row.

We also have two development players in Jayde Herdegen and Jacinta Carter

Gold Coast Titans:

New team and have rightly swooped on a lot of talent from the Gold Coast strongholds that didn't stay with Brisbane along with some savvy outside back buys. Like Newcastle picked up a lot of NZ players after their withdrawal. Very strong squad with almost all of them being representative players either previous, current or future. Have effectively the current QLD forward pack

Squad (Gains): Karina Brown (Warriors), Zara Canfield (Broncos), Brianna Clark (Warriors), Belinda-Jane Clarke, Jessika Elliston (Broncos), Tazmin Gray (Warriors), Georgia Hale (Warriors), Steph Hancock (Dragons), Shannon Mato (Broncos), Eviana Pelite (Warriors), Shaniah Power (Warriors), Crystal Tamarua (Warriors), Brittany Breayley-Nati, Kimiora Breayley-Nati, Destiny Brill, Lauren Dam, Jetaya Faifua, Grace Griffin, Karli Hansen, Cobie-Jane Morgan, Hailee-Jay Ormond-Maunsell, April Ngatupuna, Jasmine Peters, Tiana Raftstrand-Smith

24/24 players

Coach: Jamie Feeney

Key Signings/Players: Destiny Brill is a big one, particularly after that Origin performance. Can play hooker but lock as well like she did at Valleys and with Brittany Breayley-Nati in the side she may bounce between the two.

Georgia Hale is another after a great BHP season, but also plays lock so she may move back to 5/8th next Kimiora Breayley-Nati and/or Grace Griffin to accommodate Brill. Rafstrand-Smith is another junior ready for a big season in first grade

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention one of my favourite players this season in Lauren Dam - 7 tries, 6 linebreaks, avg 101m per game and 31 tackle breaks in 7 games for the Panthers. Made metres at will and got the Panthers out of their own end with ease. I really wanted Brisbane to grab her as I think she's primed for the big time

UPDATE 19/02/22:

Gold Coast add former Warrior and Rugby 7s gold medallist Eviana Pelite. She was the only reason the Warriors were competitive last season, so another big in for them. Their last player will have to be a rookie as they've surely exhausted their points cap.

Rona Peters withdraws (another vaccination deal) and is replaced by Belinda-Jane Clarke. Hailee-Jay Ormond-Maunsell is the final signing

Newcastle
Knights:

Another addition to the comp, and until the last month or so had maybe 3 signings and a lot of maybes depending on how many Kiwis stayed around through the Covid situations. Some big name signings has really helped get them on track and looking good to surprise a few teams

Squad (Gains): Ngatokotoru Arakua, Phoebe Desmond, Kirra Dibb (Warriors), Rangimarie Edwards-Bruce, Maitua Feterika, Jayme Fressard (Broncos), Chantelle Graham, Katie Green, Caitlin Johnston, Bobbi Law (Roosters), Emma Manzelmann (NQGS), Annetta Nu'uausala, Georgia Page (Dragons), Paige Parker (GC Suns), Charntay Poko, Krystal Rota, Charlotte Scanlan, Kyra Simon, Autumn-Rain Stephens-Daly, Romy Teitzel (Broncos), Talulah Tillett (NQGS), Katelyn Vaha'akolo, Kararaina Wira-Kohu

23/24 players

Coach: Casey Bromilow

Key Signings/Players:

Romy Teitzel.

9 tries, 16 goals (only 45% mind you), 7 line breaks, 42 tackle breaks and 135m per game.

But seriously the BHP POTY is the next big thing. Have also signed a very good forward pack with the Kiwi girls and solid experience around the backs with Fressard, Poko and Law. Paige Parker is an AFLW convert, playing for the Lions and Suns.

Talulah Tillett another highly touted player who played halfback with Teitzel at the Gold Stars, scoring 2 tries, 8 try assist and 8 linebreak assists.

Emma Manzelmann is a little young hooker from Mackay that punches well above her weight, scoring 2 tries, 3 try assists, 2 linebreak assists, 94.9 % tackle efficiency and averages 112 run metres at hooker

UPDATE 16/02/22:

The Knights replace Emma Sykes with former NSW half Kirra Dibb. Not sure why she took so long to get a spot - only 24 and has one of the biggest boots in the women's game. Hasn't set the world on fire but shouldn't be hanging on for lifeline deals just yet, particularly with more teams in the competition

Also somehow missed prior to the original post that Green actually stepped aside from Head Coach and they will now be coached by Pathways Manager and Tarsha Gale Cup side coach Casey Bromilow

Parramatta Eels

Last new team and have signed a good core of NSW representative players but have some work to do putting a solid team on the park outside of those players. Honestly I take zero notice of the Harvey Norman Premiership so a lot of these players could be very good.

Squad (Gains): Therese Aiton (WB Panthers), Kennedy Cherrington (Roosters), Abbi Church, Emily Curtain, Jocephy Daniels, Jade Etherden (Dragons), Fatafehi Hanisi, Filomina Hanisi (Roosters), Rikeya Horne (Dragons), Ellie Johnston (Dragons), Tommaya Kelly-Sines, Shirley (Seli) Mailangi, Nita Maynard (Roosters), Sereana Naitokatoka, Taina Naividi, Christine Pauli (Dragons), Tiana Penitani (Dragons), Katrina May Phippen, Tess Staines, Maddie Studdon (Dragons), Mareva Swann, Simaima Taufa (Roosters), Botille Vette-Welsh (Roosters), Jamie Anne Wright.

24/24 players

Coach: Dean Widders

Key Signings/Players: Their big 5 in Botille Vette-Welsh, Simaima Taufa, Tiana Penitani, Kennedy Cherrington and Filomina Hanisi.

Maddie Studdon is a key signing in the sense that this could be her big chance to finally have a successful NRLW career. So far she's been the female 2016-2017 Dane Gagai - terrible at club level but performs for Origin. Last chance saloon for her I think

UPDATE 16/02/22:

With a full squad already, there's no changes.

St George Illawarra Dragons

A club that has really struggled even since the start of NRLW to find its identity and continues to gain but lose parts every year. Despite being one of the most overrated players in recent years, losing Sergis to the Roosters of all clubs is a really big blow for the Dragons. Still have 7 unfilled roster spot so they only barely have a full team currently. Some good signings still in Stowers, Dodd, Bartlett and Tonegato

Gains: Madison Bartlett (Warriors), Quincy Dodd (Roosters), Keele Brown, Tegan Dymock, Taliah Fuimaono, Kody House (Valleys), Shellie Long (Burleigh), Page McGregor (North Sydney), Aliti Namoce-Sagano (Roosters/North Sydney), Rachael Pearson (Helensburgh Tigers), Natassja Purontakanen (Valleys), Alexandra Sulusi (Mounties), Renee Targett (North Sydney), Emma Tonegato (rugby sevens), Chantel Tugaga (NSWU19s), Holli Wheeler (injury return), Janelle Williams (Mounties)

Re-signed: Kezie Apps, Shaylee Bent, Keeley Davis, Elsie Albert, Teagan Berry, Jaime Chapman, Talei Holmes.

Losses: Sam Bremner (pregnancy), Jade Etherden (Eels), Steph Hancock (Titans), Rikeya Horne (Eels), Ellie Johnston (Eels), Isabelle Kelly (Roosters), Georgia Page (Knights), Christine Pauli (Eels), Tiana Penitani (Eels), Jessica Sergis (Roosters), Maddie Studdon (Eels).

Unsigned: Aaliyah Fasavalu-Fa'amausili, Mahalia Murphy, Shakiah Tungai, Maddison Weatherall.

Squad: Elsie Albert, Kezie Apps (c), Maddison Bartlett, Shaylee Bent, Teagan Berry, Keele Brown, Jaime Chapman, Keeley Davis (vc), Quincy Dodd, Tegan Dymock, Taliah Fuimaono, Talei Holmes, Kody House, Shellie Long, Page McGregor, Aliti Namoce-Sagano, Rachael Pearson, Matilda Power, Alexandra Sulusi, Renee Targett, Emma Tonegato, Chantel Tugaga, Holli Wheeler, Janelle Williams

24/24 players

Coach: Jamie Soward

Key Signings/Players: As mentioned earlier, their incomings are good, but they really need another big name to get people excited and give their squad something extra.

A lot of speed in Chapman and Berry. Shaylee Bent (aka Mrs David Fifita) had a very underwhelming BHP stint at Tweed switching between second row and centre and really needs to up her game if she wants to be taken seriously as a player.

Taliah joins brother Tyrell Fuimaono as the first brother/sister duo at the same club.

Be interesting to see how Tonegato goes with double the number of players in front of her and no forward passing like in rugby.

UPDATE 16/02/2022:

Dragons have signed a remaining 7 players from local and state teams. They have also agreed to release Shontelle Stowers (I believe regarding vaccination status) and have signed former Bronco and QLD player Kody House for a swansong as it's technically still the '2021 season' which she agreed to play if a club offered her a spot after effectively retiring at the end of the BHP season. A certain irony that she had her best season with retirement planned instead of the previous 3 years and missed the last two seasons of NRLW.

Natassja Purontakanen has done her ACL and will miss this season. She has been replaced by Matilda Power

Sydney Roosters

Not unlike their male counterparts, the Roosters have had a high turnover of good players but it allows them to attain (overhyped) star power in the return of Isabelle Kelly and Jessica Sergis joining. Taylor (Adeline-) Mapusua from Valleys adds some support for the backs.

Gains: Isabelle Kelly (Dragons), Jessica Sergis (Dragons), Chante Temara (Broncos), Samantha Economos (Warriors), Shawden Burton, Olivia Higgins, Olivia Kernick, Mya Hill-Moana, Atasi Lafai, Lauretta Leao-Seve, Taylor Mapusua, Tayla Predebon, Otesa Pule, Simone Simone, Leianne Tufuga.

Re-signed: Corban Baxter, Keilee Joseph, Jocelyn Kelleher, Yasmin Meakes, Brydie Parker, Hannah Southwell, Zahara Temara, Sarah Togatuki.

Losses: Kennedy Cherrington (Eels), Quincy Dodd (Dragons), Filomina Hanisi (Eels), Bobbi Law (Knights), Nita Maynard (Eels), Shanice Parker (pregnancy), Kaitlyn Phillips (Broncos), Taleena Simon (retired), Simaima Taufa (Eels), Botille Vette-Welsh (Eels),

Unsigned: Charlotte Caslick, Vanessa Foliaki, Grace Hamilton, Melanie Howard, Amelia Mafi, Kiana Takairangi.

Squad: Corban Baxter, Shawden Burton, Samantha Economos, Olivia Higgins, Mya Hill-Moana, Keilee Joseph, Jocelyn Kelleher, Isabelle Kelly, Olivia Kernick, Atasi Lafai, Lauretta Leao-Seve, Raecene McGregor, Taylor Mapusua, Yasmin Meakes, Brydie Parker, Tayla Predebon, Otesa Pule, Simone Simone, Jessia Sergis, Hannah Southwell, Zahara Temara, Sarah Togatuki, Leianne Tufuga

23/24 players

Coach: John Strange

Key Signings/Players: The team appears to be very attack oriented with Baxter, Kelly, Sergis, Meakes, Parker and Temara being their senior players. Like Parramatta though, I cannot comment on the other signings as I have no info on them. But on the surface I don't think they'll have enough to be a true contender

UPDATE 16/02/2022:

No official changes as yet with only one spot remaining, but I believe we'll see Raecene McGregor sign on for the Roosters, because of course it's the fucking Roosters that get a marquee-level player on the eve of the season kickoff. Although I hate to be fair to them, they have lost a lot of players and outside of Sergis, Kelly, Baxter, Southwell and Temara, I don't see too many that could impact their points cap enough to stop them getting her, which is why no one else has as she was injured when the season was supposed to happen and everyone had filled their rosters by then.

19/02/2022

McGregor signing confirmed as Chante Temara drops out with a broken hand

I'll update this post as the last of the player signings come in over the next 6-8 weeks

Extended Harvey Norman Queensland Maroons Origin squad

Tarryn Aiken
Ali Brigginshaw
Destiny Brill
Karina Brown
Lauren Brown
Zara Canfield
Shenae Ciesiolka
Brianna Clark
Zoe Cook
Jess Elliston
Jetaya Faifua
Jada Ferguson
Tazmin Gray
Katie Green
Tallisha Harden
Keilee Joseph
Chelsea Lenarduzzi
Emma Manzelmann
Shannon Mato
Tyesha Mikaio
April Ngatapuna
Emma Paki
Jasmine Peters
Rona Peters
Shaniah Power
Natassja Purontakanen
Tiana Raftstrand-Smith
Julia Robinson
Nakita Sao
Sara Sautia
Romy Teitzel
Chante Temara
Zahara Temara
Tamika Upton​
Broncos
Broncos
Titans
Titans
Broncos
Titans
Broncos
Titans
North Queensland Gold Stars
Titans
Titans
Broncos
Titans
Knights
Broncos
Roosters
Broncos
Knights
Titans
Wests Brisbane Panthers
Titans
CQ Capras
Titans
Titans
Titans
Valleys Diehards
Titans
Broncos
Broncos
Broncos
Knights
Roosters
Roosters
Broncos​

First camp this week of 34 players, another with a revised 30 in March after the first NRLW season

Updated my season preview post above for anyone interested

Meanwhile, the girls just keep on keeping on. Knights under the pump now.

Saw this on FB earlier, who is that? God damn, she has monster legs, would not want to tackle her.

Jamie Lee Lewis added to the Broncos squad. She broke her leg last year but was having a good year before that. She's robust and will hurt some girls in defence.

Jamie Lee Lewis added to the Broncos squad. She broke her leg last year but was having a good year before that. She's robust and will hurt some girls in defence.

Wally's daughter for those who might not know.

Active Now

• KateBroncos1812
  • I bleed Maroon
  • The Boss
  • BRC088
  • Battler
  • Waynesaurus
  • GCBRONCO
  • Skyblues87
  • Sproj
  • Thelmus
  • FACTHUNT
  • sooticus
  • Harry Sack
  • Foordy
  • Browny
  • Organix
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Jazza
  • Manlyman
  • Wolfie
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.