NRLW & General Women's Rugby League Discussion 2021-22

Taliah Fuimaono joins brother Tyrell at the Dragons

Titans have made some relatively big moves, and I’m starting to worry a little. Building a solid squad

Kimiora Nati-Breayley, Jessika Elliston and Zara Canfield (all ex-Broncos) are some more ‘names’ who have signed, as well as Cobie-Jane Morgan, Lauren Dam who I’ve been calling for Brisbane to sign for months 😡, Grace Griffin - Valleys half next to Ali, and Qld U19 reps April Ngatupuna and Burleigh GF try-scorer Jetaya Faifua.

Titans sign Steph Hancock and Rona Peters. They’ll be more than competitive at this rate

A few other minor signings have happened, but the big news will be tomorrow apparently with Vlandiddly announcing a delay until early 2022 it seems.

Same time as the AFLW, which will be great for both but I hope they still get good coverage and don’t cannibalise each other

Big issue now is all the Kiwi girls that have been in mostly Newcastle getting ready that are now trying to get home

Delayed as expected

This is all on Gladys

Perhaps he misspoke but he mentions that in 22 there will be an Origin Series, so three games maybe

With two NRLW comps, state leagues, Origin and a World Cup all next year, the girls had better be getting paid well. They’re effectively full-time professional athletes for the next 12 months

Delayed as expected

This is all on Gladys

Perhaps he misspoke but he mentions that in 22 there will be an Origin Series, so three games maybe

With two NRLW comps, state leagues, Origin and a World Cup all next year, the girls had better be getting paid well. They’re effectively full-time professional athletes for the next 12 months

that's a shame ... i was looking forward to watching that great game called Rugby League again.

we don't see it very often in the NRL

Burleigh (and mostly Titans-signed) players win at the QRL Awards night.

Team of the Year:

Romy Teitzel - Fullback (Gold Stars/Still us I hope?)
Karina Brown - Winger (Burleigh/Titans)
Jasmine Peters - Centre (Gold Stars/Titans)
Lauren Brown - 5/8th (Burleigh/Broncos)
Zehara Temara - Halfback (Burleigh/Roosters)
Millie Boyle - Prop (Burleigh/Broncos)
Destiny Brill - Hooker (Valleys/Titans)
Tazmin Gray - 2nd Row (Burleigh/Titans)
Georgia Hale - Lock (Tweed/Titans)

Coach: Scott Prince - Valleys

Rookie of the Year: Destiny Brill

Player of the Year: Romy Teitzel

Was a bit on the fence about where to put this but

Millie Boyle has signed up for that ridiculous SAS show on on channel 7.

I just don’t understand this from Millie. She went to ground after the Elliott incident and she has an full-on 12 months coming up like a lot of the NRLW girls that will play rep, why risk it by going on a TV show you could hurt yourself on? She’s also the only one of the new ‘cast’ that has a current and future career and has any sort of relevance. Just silly

Oh and Darius is doing it too

Was a bit on the fence about where to put this but

Millie Boyle has signed up for that ridiculous SAS show on on channel 7.

I just don’t understand this from Millie. She went to ground after the Elliott incident and she has an full-on 12 months coming up like a lot of the NRLW girls that will play rep, why risk it by going on a TV show you could hurt yourself on? She’s also the only one of the new ‘cast’ that has a current and future career and has any sort of relevance. Just silly

Oh and Darius is doing it too

Probably the pay packet. If Koby Abberton can get 100k out of it, she'd be getting a decent was of cash too.

Probably the pay packet. If Koby Abberton can get 100k out of it, she'd be getting a decent was of cash too.

I get that, and she is one of the more marketable players in the girls comp so the money is there, but I wouldn’t think she’d want to be in the public eye so soon as it clearly affected her. To me with the calendar coming you’d just focus on footy and making it through

I just hope she comes out the other side well, both physically and mentally and kills it for Brisbane

QRLW 2022 competing clubs​

Brisbane Tigers
Burleigh Bears
Central Queensland Capras
North Queensland Gold Stars
Souths Logan Magpies
Tweed Seagulls
West Brisbane Panthers
Wynnum Manly Seagulls

In: Souths Logan Magpies, Wynnum Manly Seagulls

Not returning: Valleys Diehards, Valkyries Queensland

QRL want the ISC clubs and the BHP Clubs to align so Valleys have to go- they assembled such a good team and made the Grand Final.

Means disruption for Ali.

QRL want the ISC clubs and the BHP Clubs to align so Valleys have to go- they assembled such a good team and made the Grand Final.

Means disruption for Ali.

Yeah saw the Valleys girls being upset at it

They had to fix the Valkyries issue. I could see the value in giving squad players a chance to play top grade but they were getting 40+ on them almost every game

So Ali Brigginshaw has said that she (and the rest of Valley's) will be staying at the club and will play in the SEQ Premiership, rather than the QRLW. I'm not sure it's a good look for the QRL if you can't get the best women's player, the Australian/QLD/Broncos Captain to play in the top comp

Ali says:

“As far as I knew we were playing, Danny was told we were in, and then a couple of days later there was an email asking the leadership group from the Queensland team to be on a call,” she said.

“They said they wanted to speak to the players first but I think that’s one way they wanted to avoid having those tough conversations.”.

“I am definitely staying strong with Valleys, we’re all going to buy into it,” she said.

“We’re not all going to go play for another club just because we are told to.”

Jamie-Lee Lewis (the Kings daughter) says:

“Of course (I will stay), that’s why we are called diehards, we’ll stand behind the club and make sure the future of women’s rugby league at the club continues,” Lewis said.

“Myself and everyone in the team and club has been rocked by the news and the process of how they handled it, we’re very heartbroken and absolutely disappointed.”

They’ve also only given Wests Brisbane Panthers a years grace and they will be replaced by a Norths Devils team in 2023.

Interesting times ahead for the QRL.

They may have a full-blown mutiny on their hands at this rate

They’ve also only given Wests Brisbane Panthers a years grace and they will be replaced by a Norths Devils team in 2023.

Interesting times ahead for the QRL.

They may have a full-blown mutiny on their hands at this rate

it could definitely humiliate the QRL and throw the integrity of their women's comp into question if the second tier SEQ Premiership has the better more credentialed players involved

they need to remember that it's not like the men's comps where a good percentage are playing with the aim of making a career for themselves and getting picked up by an NRL club.

it could definitely humiliate the QRL and throw the integrity of their women's comp into question if the second tier SEQ Premiership has the better more credentialed players involved

they need to remember that it's not like the men's comps where a good percentage are playing with the aim of making a career for themselves and getting picked up by an NRL club.

between the Diehards and the Panthers there’s about 12-13 NRLW contracted players so far plus a fair few more that played age rep this year.

Seems a good way to disenfranchise a lot of players, particularly one of the largest growth areas being young women, by axing their clubs almost immediately after they formed.

both sides showed they were more than capable of being competitive being minor premiers and 4th, so why would you kill two successful clubs just to shoehorn in a Souths Logan team that pulled out this year because they had no players and a Norths side that didn’t have one in the first place?

It smacks of arrogance from the QRL (shock!) who should’ve taken notice of the NRLW girls saying “lol get fucked” when the notion of talent dispersion was a headline for the next NRLW season.

Why would they think the state comp, and in particular someone as passionate and steadfast and important as Ali, would be any different when being told they’ll have to play for a new club?

between the Diehards and the Panthers there’s about 12-13 NRLW contracted players so far plus a fair few more that played age rep this year.

Seems a good way to disenfranchise a lot of players, particularly one of the largest growth areas being young women, by axing their clubs almost immediately after they formed.

both sides showed they were more than capable of being competitive being minor premiers and 4th, so why would you kill two successful clubs just to shoehorn in a Souths Logan team that pulled out this year because they had no players and a Norths side that didn’t have one in the first place?

It smacks of arrogance from the QRL (shock!) who should’ve taken notice of the NRLW girls saying “lol get fucked” when the notion of talent dispersion was a headline for the next NRLW season.

Why would they think the state comp, and in particular someone as passionate and steadfast and important as Ali, would be any different when being told they’ll have to play for a new club?

I understand that it's better for the game if all clubs are aligned, if all your cubs have a ISC, CC, MM, Colts, U19 and BHP then that works better than having one club here in Colts but not in U19 and a club in BHP but not in ISC.

Valleys was such a good story for the competition last year and Prince and Dyer did a terrific job of fostering that history. They had three second gen fathers/daughters playing and it had a great feel at games.

Ali has played for three clubs- so she hasn't been Valleys since she was 10. Changing clubs isn't new to her- she's done it before at Souths and Ipswich Brothers when they were in competitions.

Active Now

• Hurrijo
  • Thelmus
  • Ozired
  • MrRobot
  • simplythebest
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Rookie Alan
  • Financeguy
  • Mustafur
  • DrGee
  • Allo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.