NSW claim Big Artie as one of their own

redbur95

redbur95

QCup Player
Feb 17, 2013
This pretty much sums up why I hate NSW...

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/sta...claiming-his-dad/story-fn31yxah-1227357499178

ARTHUR Beetson’s son has slammed the New South Wales Rugby League as “pathetic” for claiming his father as a True Blue.

Brad Beetson, the Arthur Beetson Foundation and the Queensland Rugby League are shocked that NSW officials would formally include Beetson in their new initiative True Blue — an organisation recognising past NSW players.

At a gala event last month, NSWRL chief executive David Trodden revealed the concept and trumpeted the inclusion of Beetson who famously launched Origin with a ferocious performance for Queensland in the inaugural 1980 clash.

The Blues claim him as one of theirs despite the fact he never played Origin for them and only played interstate matches for NSW, not the Blues, because he had no other option under the residential selection criteria of the time.

Brad Beetson said NSWRL had disrespected his father who would have “blown up deluxe” if he was alive.

“The last thing dad would want is to be associated with NSW Origin,” Brad told The Sunday Mail. He was born, lived and died a true Maroon.

“This is pathetic and disrespectful from NSWRL. It really is appalling behaviour.

“He never played Origin for NSW. He never played for the Blues.

“He played for NSW residents only and that was because he had too.

“Arthur hated the politics of rugby league and this sort of stuff that NSW are going on about.

“If there is a storm in Sydney this week it will be Arthur throwing down lightning bolts.”

The QRL are also disappointed that NSWRL would claim the godfather of Origin.

“They have tried to form their own FOGS and now they have True Blues and have the hide to call Artie Beetson a True Blue,” chairman Peter Betros said.

“Players had to go to NSW because the poker machine money meant they had more cash down there and then they would pick our players to use against us and now they have the hide to claim them.

“It is an insult.”

Chairman of the Arthur Beetson Foundation, lawyer Steven Johnson, said it was a ridiculous claim for the NSWRL to make.

“Remember that Arthur boycotted the Team of the Century dinner because he hated the political side of rugby league,” Johnson said.

“Arthur was all about the game and always wanted the best for the game and the Foundation and the family have been happy for his image to be used to promote rugby league and the community but we are certainly not happy to promote this agenda from NSW.”

At the dinner, last month Trodden pointed to Beetson’s record for NSW as proof he was “True Blue”.

“For us, the True Blues is a way of saying that, for NSW Origin to go forward, we have to both understand and respect where we’ve come from and Arthur Beetson is undoubtedly a part of that,” Trodden said.

“We’re not going to pick and choose which parts of our history we acknowledge. “We’re including everyone who has ever been part of the Blues family and the facts are that Arthur played 17 games for NSW.”

However, none of them were in State of Origin.

I don't know why NSW would want to claim Beetson anyway. He won several series against them as a coach, which really proved his allegiance to Queensland (like it needed proving).

Last edited:
Hasn't this come up before? NSWRL never learns. I'm sure Big Mal has printed out this article will paste it all over the locker room.

Pretty sad in the buildup to Origin we have to have someone moaning over a non issue that is based around something 35 years ago.

QLD's search for motivation is just fucking stupid.

What a non issue and beat up

Pretty sad in the buildup to Origin we have to have someone moaning over a non issue that is based around something 35 years ago.

QLD's search for motivation is just ****ing stupid.

It's not a big issue. It's just another small reason to hate NSW for claiming that Queensland's first SOO legend is really a blue.

This is just a small example of the arrogance of the NSWRL and, what the hell, NSW in general. It's hardly sufficient motivation to win Queensland a series, but these sorts of soap operas are just a part of Origin.

For the record, take the Sunday Mail with a grain of salt.

QLD really does get super uptight about origin. First blowing up over a post try celebration, then saying Origin dies if Queensland lose a fourth straight series and now this.

NSW is a fuckwit of a state and this episode of preciousness doesn't come close to how bad NSW is, but QLD needs to chill every once in a while ffs.

QLD's search for motivation is just fucking stupid.

You're right but unfortunately all the right pills to help us relax are in the back pockets of a certain NSW "legend".

QLD really does get super uptight about origin. First blowing up over a post try celebration, then saying Origin dies if Queensland lose a fourth straight series and now this.

NSW is a fuckwit of a state and this episode of preciousness doesn't come close to how bad NSW is, but QLD needs to chill every once in a while ffs.
yep

In the grand scheme of things, not a big deal, but let's not forget that this is Artie's son. I would be pissed off as well if I was him... and Artie would definitely blow his lid!

**** I'd be ropable if I was connected to the blues in anyway. Especially if it was my dad who happened to play against them and is now dead.

Active Now

• Dash
  • Brocko
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Morkel
  • Lozza
  • winslow_wong
  • Harry Sack
  • Broncosgirl
  • Mustafur
  • Organix
  • Scorchie
  • Fitzy
  • Johnny92
  • broncos4life
  • Sproj
  • bazza
  • Skyblues87
  • Rough and Ready
  • LittleDavey
  • Horseheadsup
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.