NSW cricket myth

He was great at getting wickets off no balls

Not that I think the author of this reflects much or revisits what he said but it is interesting to note that of the highest scorers in Shield Cricket.

Lehmann (SA and VIC)
Cox (Tas)
Siddons (SA and VIC)
Bevan (NSW, TAS and SA)
Hodge (VIC)
Elliot (VIC)
Love (Qld)
DiVenuto (TAS)
Blewett (SA)
Jones (VIC)

One from NSW and all of them didn't play a super lot of Tests despite their outstanding form.

Well you don't get a lot of time to score SS runs while you're in the test team.
All of those guys could have played more tests though, especially Lehmann and Elliot.

Nice trolling btw Bman.

Well you don't get a lot of time to score SS runs while you're in the test team.
All of those guys could have played more tests though, especially Lehmann and Elliot.

Nice trolling btw Bman.

That's my point, it's a telling stat.

Why isn't there more Blues in the top Shield runs? All getting picked for Tests? Not making enough Shield runs? Then why are they playing Tests?

Why aren't guys that are getting truckloads of Shield runs getting picked for Tests over the Blues that are obviously there?

That's my point, it's a telling stat.

Why isn't there more Blues in the top Shield runs? All getting picked for Tests? Not making enough Shield runs? Then why are they playing Tests?

Why aren't guys that are getting truckloads of Shield runs getting picked for Tests over the Blues that are obviously there?

Agreed 100%. I know one name that would feature somewhere there is Matthew Hayden. I don't know how many 1000 run seasons he had before he secured his place in the team, but I imagine it would be more than most NSW batsman ever had to make.

Same goes for Mike Hussey.

I will say that the NSW bias these days does seem to be gone though. It's been replaced by stupidity however.

Is it just me, or are the players born outside of NSW (or moved away from it) are more likeable too?

Not that I think the author of this reflects much or revisits what he said but it is interesting to note that of the highest scorers in Shield Cricket.

Lehmann (SA and VIC)
Cox (Tas)
Siddons (SA and VIC)
Bevan (NSW, TAS and SA)
Hodge (VIC)
Elliot (VIC)
Love (Qld)
DiVenuto (TAS)
Blewett (SA)
Jones (VIC)

One from NSW and all of them didn't play a super lot of Tests despite their outstanding form.

Most of those guys were unlucky to be born in Australia's era of greatness. Jamie Cox for example would have had to replace Mark Taylor, Michael Slater, Matthew Hayden, Justin Langer and Greg Blewett if he was to play for Australia. The same goes for Siddons, Love, Lehmann (played a bit), Elliot and DiVenuto. Australia had a wealth of batting talent and for batsmen looking to make headway in the 90's breaking into the White House was easier.

Who would you have replaced Taylor, Langer, Hayden, Slater, Ponting, the twins etc with really?

Who would you have replaced Taylor, Langer, Hayden, Slater, Ponting, the twins etc with really?

Taylor = Hayden
Slater = Hayden
Hayden = Nobody. This guy is God.
Ponting = Law/Love/Hodge (Although Ponting is one of our greatest ever batsmen)

Unless you lived through the 90s and experience how many shear runs Hayden made you wouldn't understand. Honestly, the bloke must have churned out 3 or 4 consecutive 1000+ run seasons. The fact it took Taylor or Slater a seriously long run of poor form to even talk about being dropped is ridiculous.

I know Clarke is now one of Australia's great batsmen, but even when he made his debut his first class average was mid 30s, there were plenty of other batsmen around the country with better records that didn't get a look in. The Sydney media has a lot of sway in Australian selection.

I always thought Mark Waugh was very droppable. He stopped being a real all rounder a long time before he retired and thought a test average of 41 was respectable there was a host of players with better runs on the board at the time. From memory Lehmann and Martyn were easily outscoring him. Were he from a different family and state I suspect he'd have fallen well short of 100 tests.

Hayden First class cricket:

91/92- 1028 runs at 54.10- 149 on debut for Qld v SA.
92/93- 1249 runs at 52.04
93/94- 1136 runs at 126.22
94/95- 954 runs at 47.70
95/96- 752 runs at 53.71
96/97- 648 runs at 54
97/98- 934 runs at 49.15
98/99- 686 runs at 40.35
99/00- 573 runs at 38.20
00/01- 537 runs at 44.75

He did play twelve Tests over that time from the '94 tour of SA to the NZ tour in 00.

For scores of 15, 5, 5, 0, 125, 0, 47, 40, 0, 14, 10, 0. But he was never really in the side and Taylor clearly wasn't sold on him.

Last edited:
Imagine if a guy averaged that now over 3+ seasons, he'd be test captain. Except Dave Hussey, why on Earth did he never get a look in?

Lee was easily one of the best OD players in recent times, but from memory was pretty ordinary in the test matches for Australia.

Same with Mark Waugh.

I've always enjoyed the One Dayers more though.

Lee was easily one of the best OD players in recent times, but from memory was pretty ordinary in the test matches for Australia.

Same with Mark Waugh.

I've always enjoyed the One Dayers more though.

Sacrilege!!

Active Now

• porouian
  • ChewThePhatt
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Spooky1013
  • Bongo
  • Mustafur
  • Xzei
  • Broncosgirl
  • NSW stables
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.