NSW Five Eigth

Who should be the five eigth for NSW?

• Total voters
Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Seems like Todd Carney's place in the side hangs in the balance with James Maloney tipped to be in Daley's side for Game 1 in around 4 weeks time.

Who do you think should be five eigth and why?

Todd Carney struggled in his first series, but he's still far and away their best option. Pearce and Maloney is just a lolworthy pairing.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that NSW should stick with the incumbent.

Maloney is in superior form but I don't believe he's the type of player to stop Queensland and believe it'd be too much effort starting over at this level. He may fluke a good performance, but a good series? Can't see it happening and see him being more or less a liability.

Mullen is a darkhorse but still feel like it'd be in his best interest to focus on club and working on his general play.

Sutton is garnering a lot of outside support (notably from Sterlo & Souths fans) but I don't believe a combination of him and Pearce (or even Reynolds) offers enough at this level.

Campese needs more time.

At least, that's how I see it.

The two players QLD should fear are Carney and Hayne

Todd Carney despite his poor performance in game 1 last year was quite solid for the rest of the series and showed he is a future player. I wouldn't pick him on current form and I don't think he is 100% fit. Maloney has been in fine form and both he and Pearce have been steering the Roosters around outstandingly.

Maloney for me. I though Carney was OK to solid last year but had a tendency to go missing at the big moments. I don't rate Sutton at all, too soon for Campo to be thrust into origin after his long injury, and Mullen is ok but I feel others are in better form. Its between Carney and Maloney, but Maloney just.

I'm also of the opinion that Maloney would be best for the job.

He seems to have the certain amount of mongrel in him that good origin players need.

Just for the sake of it

Todd Carney: Wouldn't pick on current form and I don't think he is 100% fit
James Maloney: Been in outstanding form and the partnership with Pearce would help
Jarrod Mullen: Great player on his day but has been to inconsistent and he has been out in the wilderness for a while
Terry Campese: Not a hope after an extended time on the sideline, haven't seen him since he came back
John Sutton: Good player but I wouldn't pick him

Maloney relies heavily on support and second phase play. It's great when you are playing with SBW for your club side, but Origin tends to be more conservative.

I think Mullen would be a good pick for NSW.

Carney was awesome last year. If anyone should be replaced, it's Pearce. Maloney/Carney would be a good pairing.

Mehhh.... On form, I'd go Maloney at the moment especially if Pearce is the halfback. If Pearce isn't picked then I'd probably stick with Carney.

True, Browny. It doesn't matter who's in the halves, the result this year is obvious.

I'd be choosing a Maloney/Pearce combination.

Unread

Active Now

• Sproj
  • jd87
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Allo
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Foordy
  • BroncosAlways
  • GCBRONCO
  • Xzei
  • The Strapper
  • broncsgoat
  • levikaden
  • Justwin
  • Strop
  • Fozz
  • Horseheadsup
  • Mighty Bronx
  • johnny plath
  • Browny
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.