NSW want 2 games in 2013

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
THE NSW Rugby League will today launch an impassioned campaign to ensure two Origin matches are held in Sydney next year.

In a move certain to infuriate the Queenslanders, The Daily Telegraph can reveal fed-up Blues powerbrokers will this morning fire off a letter to the ARL Commission requesting the controversial move.

It is understood the push for ANZ Stadium to hold two matches next year will be a major factor in Ricky Stuart's decision to stay on as coach - as will a dramatic increase in salary for the full-time Blues coach.

The assumption is that the Maroons are perfectly placed to extend their winning streak to eight series because games one and three will be at Suncorp Stadium next year.

ARLC interim chief executive Shane Mattiske confirmed last night that wasn't necessarily the case, especially with a $12.5 million offer from the Victorian government to host an Origin in Melbourne for the next five years.

Mattiske can expect a blunt email from NSWRL boss Geoff Carr when he starts work this morning.

"NSW won't get two games until 2014 and it's too long to deny NSW supporters, who have got right behind the concept of Origin, to be denied two games," Carr said. "I will be writing to the ARLC tomorrow spelling out my thoughts and that is NSW cannot be denied any longer.

"The solution in the future would be to have a neutral year and then let NSW take the turn of two games in 2013. The NSWRL will be campaigning strongly for two games in 2013."

The other alternative, Carr said, was to make the series involving a Melbourne fixture "neutral", to avoid the situation NSW presently face of hosting a single match each series for three consecutive series.

"What we have now is that the way of distributing Origins is unfair," Carr said. "If we keep that formula, next year Queensland will have two games."

The push for two matches in Sydney is sure to enrage Queensland, although QRL chairman John McDonald did not return calls.

Mattiske said nothing was set in stone for next season.

"We've been approached by Victorian Major Events about taking a game to Melbourne for the 2013 season," he said. "They were very happy with the result they achieved this year. The commission is considering that approach, but we're also considering our approach for the 2013 season and beyond."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...-boss-geoff-carr/story-e6frfghx-1226420443355

Carr is a hypocrite ... it was alright for QLD to have a period of 3 years where they only hosted 1 game (2008-2010) but its not ok for NSW to go through the same cycle

They're not serious surely?

Just because last time they had a 3-year cycle like this was 2005-2007...where they won the first series and lost the next 2.
Idiots.

Fair enough. I want 2 games in Sydney

1. I'll have a better chance of getting to the game
2. It would mean there wouldn't be 2 games in Sydney since 2010, it's supposed to change each year.

Last edited:
He's listening to the dumb face journo's (paul kent hai) pushing their barrow. It's how it has been for a long, long time.

Hey Broncoman, this is how it's been for ages. Both states agree'd to give one game to Melbourne every second year. so when it's your year to go to Melbourne it means that it's 3 years with only 1 game.

It sucks, but QLD managed to win when they only had 1 game in Brisbane each year.

----

I am of the thought that Melbourne should get no games, but why should we give up our home game next year for Sydney?????

Last edited:
No, not "fair enough". We gave up a home game to Melbourne last time, NSW gave up a home game this year. It was their turn. Now they are trying to re-write the rules again instead of just sucking it up and trying to win on the field.

From all the rubbish I have seen NSW spit out - this is by far the biggest this year.

Even Sooky can't stand up to that.. but you know, I read the first few lines and thought I was going to reply "I bet this has something to do with Sooky's conditions to keep on as coach" - then the very next line answered my precise reply for me!

If they change that, then they can just change anything... they've failed with only influencing the refs, now it's time start controlling other factors. Feel for the whole QLD rugby community...

EDIT: I would be so embarrassed to be a NSW supporter.. NSW just never seem to want to look something square on and set out to achieve it.. always have to change the odds in their favour some how. Makes 7 years straight that much more amazing for QLD.

Last edited:
Did Queensland whinge in 2008-2010? No, just went ahead and won 5 of the 6 games we had to play on the road in those 3 series, and 2 of the 3 at home...

It's genuinely worrying how many people high up in both the NSWRL and nsw league media dont understand how the pattern works. each team takes turns getting 2 home games in a row, with every 3rd year a game going to melbourne. you would think people in these positions would know that yet we have sticky complaining non stop and people like Roffield pushing his uniformed opinions down everyone's throats. NSWRL had better not succeed with this bid, or its just bullshit. Trying to win off the field when they cant win on it

The other stupid thing is the last series they won had 2 games in Brisbane. Their argument is purely because they're afraid they're not good enough to do the same thing again. This BS about "new south wales fans deserve more games" is pure garbage. Their motivation is wholly and solely trying to give them the best chance to win.

It'd be just like the Broncos starting a public campaign to say we should play 2 thirds of our games at home and then make up a BS argument that we get the best crowds and so therefore our fans deserve more games.

There's a very good reason why scheduling is the responsibility of the head body and not the teams themselves...

theyre essentially holding the game to ransom with this, as the higher ups want Ricky Stuart as the NSW coach, and hes basiclly saying he'll only do it if NSW gets 2 games at home and they throw a boatload more money at him.

for someone whos sick of being called a whinger, hes not helping his cause.

Didn't NSW agree to this in the first place? Anything to get an advantage.

It reeks of desperation doesn't it. QLD with 2 games at home which means 8 in a row is on the menu.:haha:

NSW are very well aware of the rules, they just ignore it as it doesn't suit their agenda anymore.. they will come up with some rubbish justification just wait.. useless..

This is a nothing story.

If Queensland doesn't host two games next season it's more likely we'll see one game in Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne than two Sydney fixtures.The ARLC isn't going to switch the set up because of some thinly veiled threats from the NSWRL...

This is a nothing story.

If Queensland doesn't host two games next season it's more likely we'll see one game in Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne than two Sydney fixtures.The ARLC isn't going to switch the set up because of some thinly veiled threats from the NSWRL...

I would love to believe you but when I see two games played (or announced to be played) in Brisbane next year I will only believe it then. You underestimate what these guys are capable of..

Plus, it's our turn to have two in Brisbane, even one in Melbourne would be a joke.

I would love to believe you but when I see two games played (or announced to be played) in Brisbane next year I will only believe it then. You underestimate what these guys are capable of..

Plus, it's our turn to have two in Brisbane, even one in Melbourne would be a joke.

Yes, but there's been persistent rumours Victoria have made a huge play to host an Origin game a year for the next 5 years.

Active Now

• broncos4life
  • Waynesaurus
  • Aldo
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Tim K
  • Allo
  • Mr Fourex
  • Rah88
  • Harry Sack
  • Financeguy
  • Brocko
  • Battler
  • broncsgoat
  • Fozz
  • Sproj
  • Galah
  • Mustafur
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Justwin
... and 23 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.