Nth Brisbane Oztag - kinda dumb

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
So, September last year they decided that rather than have 2 seasons a year, they'd have 3. Thus they reduced the competitions to 10 regular rounds plus 3 weeks of finals, instead of the traditional 12-13 weeks regular season and 3 weeks of finals.

Looked good last year, had a record number of teams on Monday night with 36 mens teams, 4 womens teams and 10 mixed teams.

What's happened this season? They've had a heap of trouble trying to get teams to register. Last night the competition started (a week late) with just the mens comp because they've still only got a handful of mixed teams and the womens comp looks shaky too.

How many teams were there? 16. 6 in Mens C, 10 in Mens D, they've scrapped Mens E.

In all likelihood there'll be 16 mens teams, 6 mixed teams and no womens comp.

So from 50 teams, down to 22. More than half the teams gone.

What could cause it? A number of factors.

1. This season overlaps with the start of footy season, and many Oztag players are involved in league, union, soccer and aussie rules teams
2. Despite shortening the seasons and increasing it to 3 a year, team rego fees have stayed the same - $990 for a Monday night team
3. The economy is up the creek and lots of people are worried about job security etc, and thus are less willing to fork out $80 or $90 a season to play footy, and nor are they as willing to ask their boss to knock off early on a Monday to go and play a 6.15 game, and in fact quite a few feel pressured to work extra hours while there is still work

QLD Oztag's decisions regarding North Brisbane simply couldn't have come at a worse time.

Are other social sports suffering a similar decline?

i blame the one money hungry owner. Dick head won't even supply balls. Spanner.

Touch Footy FTW! Gay oztag can't get teams. :P

thedman - a former touch player said:
we both f'ing loved it! it was great fun - can't wait to get out there again. touch smuch.

I used to play rugtag...very similar to oztag...I know what I'm missing :P and the hubby has said if he's gonna risk injury he will be playing League..which he's been begged and begged to play by the local club :P League >>> Oztag :P for prosperity :P

League >>> Oztag....DUH!
But that's like saying Ferrari >>> whatever nice car you have bought and currently enjoy driving. For most of us it's just not realistic :P

I don't know why people have this concern that oztag is going to cause injury more so than touch or any other non-contact sport. More people get injured playing netball in Australia than any other sport!

LOL! So many of my friends have taken up netball lately...they're getting worked left right and centre...and of course that's how I did my knee.

Hubby will play league before he plays oztag, just the way it goes. Touch is different set of skills I guess.

Touch = lack of skills. Other than being able to run constantly and roll a ball between your legs. Blech.

Well the team we played last night certainly had no skills! except how to be a hero and not play as a team....

Actually Coxy it is affecting a lot of sports. Most sports have seen numbers in their social competitions drop off dramatically in the past 12 months.

Coxy said:
Touch = lack of skills. Other than being able to run constantly and roll a ball between your legs. Blech.

100% agree. makes me laugh when ppl who play touch say how much better it is. its just about getting the other team offside. good passing, good line running etc is overshadowed by surrendering and playing the ball quick

Unread

Active Now

• Old Mate
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • RolledOates
  • Wolfie
  • theshed
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Bucking Beads
  • Dash
  • Sproj
  • Fitzy
  • Mr Fourex
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.