NEWS Oates Primed For New Partnership

Foordy

International Rep
  • Staff
190110-oates-web.jpg

Oates Primed For New Partnership

broncos.com.au
Thurs 10 Jan 2019

BRONCOS' try freak Corey Oates says he is already feeling good about building a partnership with the new man beside him.

Oates has begun training outside former NSW Origin centre Jack Bird since returning for the 2019 pre-season.

He was the Broncos' leading try scorer last season, racking up 18 four-pointers on the left wing.
That equalled his best ever season mark as a Bronco, from back in 2016.

Bird missed most of the year after starting late because of a shoulder reconstruction and then undergoing surgery on his sternum.

However Bird has been impressive since starting the pre-season early, and looks ready to break the shackles.

If the pair's first forays together at training are anything to go by, Oates said the signs were good for them to strike up a lucrative partnership.

"The big Bird is good," said Oates today.

"I feel like we are going to have a good year together.

"It feels good already after the few sessions I have had with him.

"I am really confident with him and he is a really good player to play outside of.

"He just has so much talent."

Oates had a minor calf twinge before Christmas but said he was getting past that now.

After previously-interrupted pre-seasons, he is keen to get a full and valuable one in now, including playing trial matches.

"This is my first full week in and I tell you the boys weren't lying when they said this was tough," he said.

"I haven't played too many trials with the Broncos because I have always been injured.

"I wouldn't mind trying to get one in this pre-season."

Source: broncos.com.au

jarro65

State of Origin Rep
Brisvegas
Quite an expensive centre/wing partnership. Anywhere between $1.3 and $1.5 million depending on who you believe. Compared to the Roosters' opposites, Tupou and Mitchell, who I'm assuming are worth about $235,000 combined under their cap.
Quite expensive indeed, but potentially quite damaging to the opposition.

I really am looking forward to seeing how these two combine.

abashii

NRL Player
Deep Didgeridoo
Quite an expensive centre/wing partnership. Anywhere between $1.3 and $1.5 million depending on who you believe. Compared to the Roosters' opposites, Tupou and Mitchell, who I'm assuming are worth about $235,000 combined under their cap.
You reckon they're only paying the Roosters 235k? Bit low.

Anyway this article reinforces my manlove for Oates the big goofy ****. Look at that grin!

Jedhead

NRL Player
He's certainly giving the buff islander wingers a run for their money. He looks in great nick. To think he bagged 18 last year without a proper pre-season and the time off for that hip injury. This year he's gotta be a chance of topping the try scoring table.

bronx89

NYC Player
If Bird gets back to his damaging and elusive best he will be putting Oates over unmarked

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.