NEWS Oates under pressure to make transition

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Coreyoates3

NRL: Brisbane Broncos coach Wayne Bennett tells Corey Oates failure to make success of back row move will come at a price

February 8, 2018

Source: Courier Mail

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like Bennett would much rather he stay on the wing ... Hopefully for his sake he fires in the trials and earns a bench position (or bites the bullet and goes back to the wing) because it would be a same to see him running around the ISC (as much as @1910 would like it :P )

If he doesn’t meet expectations there are probably 10 clubs that will offer him $500k+ and a starting spot. He won’t be a Bronco by the end of the season.

I hope he proves to be as good as he thinks he will be.

Unbelievable he's still only 23. We've all seen what he can do 1v1 on a fullback or winger. In the second row he'll be getting the opportunity to do it against halfbacks and five-eights,plus he has the speed of a winger if/when he gets into the backfield. Hope he kills it.

It’s a big call by Bennett to tell Oates he’s starting on the bench or stay on the wing.

He won’t play until he’s 34 so best have a go now. Really looking forward to watch how it goes for him. Wayne can never be accused of not being straight up with him and looks to be doing it to get a rise out of Corey. Interested in any trail time he gets.

It’s a big call by Bennett to tell Oates he’s starting on the bench or stay on the wing.

not even close to being a big call, considering we have an all international back row.

I like the way Wayne's playing this. It's sink or swim for the big fella. Prove yourself or see ya.

He's tall fast and strong, great for a winger yes, but also great for a backrower. He'll do all right in the pack. Deep down Bennett knows that and that is why he is giving him a go. Good luck Corey and well done Wayne.

I don’t have any concerns regarding his attack whatsoever.
He knows how to run a line and is a big body - if anything, he’ll be more damaging in field with quality ball.
And it’s not like he’s never played back row before, he did in ‘14 if I remember correctly.
What does have potential to be an area of concern though is his stamina and defence.
If he nails that and stays injury free, he could be the best back rower we’ve had, and I don’t say that as a throwaway comment.
After all, Gillett was hardly the workaholic that he is in defence now when he came into grade.
I wish Corey luck, for his sake and the Broncos!

Wb is just saying what should be logical. But for what it is worth, I'm confident Corey Oates can gain the skills needed. The biggest hurdle won't be attack but defence. If he needs time in Qld cup to do so, he should able to bear it.

Wayne has chosen the right move for the team, and publicly announced it in the right way. It will not work out well for Corey as he is not durable enough for a position in the back row full time. There are much stronger and better suited bodies coming through.

I hope he'll leave all the injuries behind this year, but I can't help but feel he'll just keep on attracting them, like Kahu now and Reed before him.

he was the best back rower in his 20's days, so this isn't anything new to him.
also we should remember when hook used to play him in the backrow late in some games - he was near unstoppable.
the other thing about him being in the back row should he make it, milford or nikorima are gonna have a big body crashing on to the ball that will attract 2 or 3 defenders everytime. this will give them heaps more room to move and free up space for bird or roberts. they can play to oates or even decoy and go them selves or hit the outside backs. i can see big points!! and exciting attacking footy which is what we want to see.

another thing i see as a huge positive....

last tackle kick close to the line for oates, mid range bomb/chip which land mid way from the side line for oates to use his height and out jump the opposition defenders.
rabbits used to do it with mcqueen a lot and he is a few inches shorter than oates and not as athletic.
game winner

another thing i see as a huge positive....

last tackle kick close to the line for oates, mid range bomb/chip which land mid way from the side line for oates to use his height and out jump the opposition defenders.
rabbits used to do it with mcqueen a lot and he is a few inches shorter than oates and not as athletic.
game winner

Agree 100% with this, just hope he doesn't leave on a big money deal because we can afford him or we don't have a starting position for him.

I hope he'll leave all the injuries behind this year, but I can't help but feel he'll just keep on attracting them, like Kahu now and Reed before him.
I agree, he has had too many areas of his body beaten up and operated on and these injuries simply don't disappear when you keep doing the things that caused the serious injury in the first place. This wing/backrow conjecture doesn't really concern me as he is not looking at a long career in the game unfortunately.

Active Now

• Santa
  • Porthoz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.