Official - Gillett and Jack Reed re-sign

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...-stay-at-broncos/story-e6frep5x-1226617014062

THE Broncos have completed a $2 million retention coup with in-form representative duo Matt Gillett and Jack Reed securing upgraded deals to stay at Red Hill.

Gillett and Reed have inked new contracts in a major boost for the Broncos ahead of Friday night's Queensland blockbuster against the Cowboys at Suncorp Stadium.
The 24-year-olds were to come off contract at season's end but Broncos recruitment chief Andrew Gee has moved swiftly to reward Reed and Gillett for their blistering early-season form.
Brisbane hierarchy will announce the pair's re-signing at a press conference this morning.
It is understood utility Gillett has signed a deal to stay at the Broncos until the end of 2016, while centre Reed has also received a lucrative multi-year extension.
The retention of the Bribie Island juniors comes just a fortnight after the Broncos were hit by the loss of rising playmaker Corey Norman, who agreed to a three-year deal with Parramatta worth $1.3 million.

While holding on to Gillett and Reed helps offset Norman's impending departure, the Broncos have funds under the salary cap for another big-name purchase and are scouring the market for a playmaker.
Reed, the English international, has rebounded well from an injury-affected 2012, playing a key role in the Broncos' 32-12 upset of the Titans at Skilled Park last Friday night.
Gillett has played 80 minutes in five consecutive games in the back row and firmed as a Trans-Tasman Test bolter after making 40 tackles and 13 hit-ups against the Titans.

I know some will question these signings, but I think they're both valuable players, and it's a good sign they are secured.

Also, if the $2 million for 2 players signed for 3 years is right, neither is breaking the bank under the increasing cap (ie about $330K each per year).

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Gillett and Jack Reed re-sign

Good to see we're locking away some of our good young talent at least.

way overpaid for what theyve done, but thats expected from the broncos unfortunately.

been pretty critical of reed but he always gives it his all and i cant fault that. i know through a friend of his he was getting pretty down about everyone being up him for 'not passing' and is workin on it.

i hope gillett reaches his potential. i think that is largely dependant on the coaching at the club.

My thoughts exactly AP, nothing is going to change with Broncos if they keep overpaying average players.

been pretty critical of reed but he always gives it his all and i cant fault that. i know through a friend of his he was getting pretty down about everyone being up him for 'not passing' and is workin on it.

i hope gillett reaches his potential. i think that is largely dependant on the coaching at the club.

This.

Look how the players respond when they get a gameplan that suits.

with the cap going up to 7 mil locking them in now isnt such a bad idea. 300/350k is nothing when the cap is going up so much. especially for gillett

I'm happy with it. Gillett especially. Both are yet to live up to potential but I'd rather see them reach it with us instead of another club.

Fine with Gillett earning that type of money and would be fine with him earning excess of 400K under the new cap. Guy is a talent and plenty of clubs would be lucky to have him.

Reed, eh. How many good centres are there these days? We've got one of the best in Hodges, the other side only needs somebody who can hold their own in defence and Jack can do that. I just hope he can still play centre for the duration otherwise he'd be a waste.

350 is a steal for Gillett.

Jack Reed for 4 years??? oh god

http://www.broncos.com.au/news-display/Childhood-Mates-Sign-LongTerm-Contracts/72026

TWO boys who grew up playing football at the same club in the same town have committed their futures to the NRMA Insurance Broncos today.
As the Broncos get ready to play the North Queensland Cowboys in Brisbane on Friday night, Matt Gillett and Jack Reed have signed multi-year contracts with the club.
Reed has signed a four-year deal and will be a Bronco until the end of the 2017 season, while Gillett is locked in for three years until the close of 2016.
Coach Anthony Griffin said confirming the signatures of Gillett and Reed was great news for the club.
“These players have shown great talent and application to their football as evidenced by their promotion to representative honours so early in their career,” said Griffin.
“Jack played Test footy after his first year in the NRL and Matt has gone on from being NRL Rookie of the Year to playing State of Origin for Queensland.
“Both guys are important players for the Broncos’ future and we are pleased they have decided to sign long-term contracts.”
Gillett and Reed came through the juniors just north of Brisbane at the Bribie Island Warrigals and played State League with Queensland Cup club the Norths Devils.

Look I know there's some criticism of both of them, particularly Reed, and I've had my doubts about Reed too. But he's shown some really promising signs the last couple of weeks and maybe we are seeing the benefit of him gaining match fitness after missing most of preseason post-surgery, due to an injury that hampered him most of last year.

4 years is a long time, and it's a real sign of faith from the club. Hopefully Reed repays that faith. Will he be playing in the centres in 4 years? Debatable. He might well become a back rower as he ages and slows. I guess we'll just wait and see hey?

My thoughts exactly AP, nothing is going to change with Broncos if they keep overpaying average players.

Deadset TKday you and Ap are the most pessimistic supporters ever. Jack has played for his country and Matt has played for his state. I find it hard to believe they are overpayed or average players. Than again opinions are like a..holes everybodys got one just yours need a bigger shovel:001_tt2::biggrin::loool:

Last edited:

really? one plays for england, the other plays for qld and possibly australia. $330K a year is a BARGAIN! lussick is on $450k, and Daniel Harrison on $300k at the eels.

Yeah apparently all players, even young rep players should play for $5, a sandwich and a coke

That's a reasonable price for both players.

BTW I'm hoping by 2 million they mean like 1.2 million to Gillett and 800k to Reed.

Oh 4 years. So 1 million is 250k a year, fair price for him.

This is great news. I knew before opening the thread that tkday and AP would have something negative to say, but everyone can have their opinion.

If you look at these signings in any sort of perspective we have got them for a steal. They are only going to get better and clubs would have snapped them up, especially gillett. Tbh I have been dreading reading the paper each day cos I was sure sooner or later he was going to be poached. 300k in the new salary cap environment is amazing for gillett and with the limit amount of decent centres around is excellent for reed.

Reed may not be a strike centre but he is reliable and there are a lot of clubs that would love to have a centre that they could rely on not to do something mind numbingly stupid

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • kiwibronco
  • Shane Tronc
  • KateBroncos1812
  • MrMoore
  • Broncorob
  • Skyblues87
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.