Official round 1 team

1. Don't realise how Robinson could've proved himself in a trial match or two more than Kemp impressing in three NRL games for us, 'less he's injured, and Hewitt also showing he's all class in the top grade? Not sold on this one, but happy to be proven wrong.

2. What the **** is the point of having Stagg on the bench?

3. GREAT to see Michaels in the centres and Hannant as one starting prop.

Not bad, overall. Give 'em hell.

mick! said:
1. Don't realise how Robinson could've proved himself in a trial match or two more than Kemp impressing in three NRL games for us, 'less he's injured, and Hewitt also showing he's all class in the top grade? Not sold on this one, but happy to be proven wrong.

2. What the **** is the point of having Stagg on the bench?

3. GREAT to see Michaels in the centres and Hannant as one starting prop.

Not bad, overall. Give 'em hell.

1. I totally agree with you, I simply fear we will lose the talented speedsters Kemp & Davies because if we don't use them someone else will... How much influnce does Mundine have???

2. I have no problem with Stagg on the bench, he is lighter and faster this year, so with the new 10 interchange rule he will be able to inflict a little more damage late in each half, let the bigger guys wear them out and then bring on Marsh and Staggy to tear'em apart... he's also our option for replacing an injured back.

2. Agree completely

I'm happy with the backline, would have prefered to see someone other than Boyd on the wing, Kemp or Beale.

Stagg on the bench seems a waste to me, he is an 80 minute players. Would have had him at lock and Carroll off the bench.

Can understand Taylor not playing, in the courier mail he said himself he felt he should be playing qld cup in round 1. Good head on his shoulders with an honest self assesment.

Love the lineup very confident

would have loved to have taylor in tha team but he didnt fo the hard yards so he will work his way back in

i wonder if WB will go with the listed 1 - 17 or bring Kenny (18th Man) onto the bench.

The Rock said:
666 said:
Stagg on the bench seems a waste to me, he is an 80 minute players. Would have had him at lock and Carroll off the bench.

I think Wayne wants to start off with all big men in the first 20 minutes of the game. Intimidate the opposition first up.

Wouldn't that work better if you had a player there who could play the 80 from the start, meaning you'd have Clinton, Hannant, Parker and Sims starting as your big men, then you can bring on Carroll, Thaiday and Eastwood/Kenny to keep the ball rolling.

The Rock said:
666 said:
[quote="The Rock":1k1oqpeo]
666 said:

I think Wayne wants to start off with all big men in the first 20 minutes of the game. Intimidate the opposition first up.

Wouldn't that work better if you had a player there who could play the 80 from the start, meaning you'd have Clinton, Hannant, Parker and Sims starting as your big men, then you can bring on Carroll, Thaiday and Eastwood/Kenny to keep the ball rolling.

Stagg wouldn't have that much of an impact at the start of the game. I think it's the first 20 minutes where Wayne wants the boys to make a statement and that would work best with Stagg on the bench and all the big boys starting.[/quote:1k1oqpeo]

He'd make an impact, if he is out threre tackling anything that moves he takes some defensive workload off some of the bigger forwards, giving them more in the tank.

Anyone get to see NRL on Fox last night?Gordie is pretty excited with the clash of Clinton and Petero.Clinton will be wanting to show his dominance in the 10 and Petero will be out to show he is the best.Exciting contest if Clinton is firing.(My bet though is on Petero n this round. [icon_frown )

The Rock said:
666 said:
[quote="The Rock":37d7mgkf]
666 said:

Stagg wouldn't have that much of an impact at the start of the game. I think it's the first 20 minutes where Wayne wants the boys to make a statement and that would work best with Stagg on the bench and all the big boys starting.[/quote:37d7mgkf]

But the fact of the matter is Stagg is an 80 minute player. We've got two less interchanges than last year, and I fail to see why Stagg coming on should take up one of those precious changes.

Carroll, Hannant and Clinton et al. can make plenty of impact in the opening minutes, with more big fellas to come off the bench. IMO, Stagg should be there doing what he does best - rolling through the work for the full 80.

But that's the only real qualm that I have, and WB certainly know WAY more than any of us. In that regard, then, I do trust they're doing the right thing.

Stagg is coming back from a shoulder reconstruction and I think they're just trying to ease him back in.

He'll probably be in the starting side (if he plays well enough) in a month or so.

I'm ok with Stagg on the bench for now - particularly if he's not 100%. He'll be a good impact player throughout the match. Eventually though, he has to be an 80 minute player - he's got the stamina and he is just so versitile.

Can't wait for the weekend. I may miss the game though but I'm so excited its all started again!

I agree that Stagg is essentially an 80 minute player, but the other approach you could take is to bring him on around the 20-25 minute mark when one of the big guys (inevitably) needs a break. Sure it would need a bit of a pack shuffle but that's nothing new, and then he can play the rest of the game. For example, I'm not sure what Sims' stamina is like, but Stagg could go into the 2nd row when Hannant needs a break and Sims could move up front until he needs a rest. We'd still get plenty of value out of him IMO and it would give us that blockbusting first 20 that seems to be so important.

I kind of agree. Stagg is an 80 minute player and is knid of useless on the bench.

BennyHFan said:
i just heard recently that David Stagg ism playing 5/8 tomorrow with Darren Lockyer on the bench

Yep, heard that too.

And Greg Eastwood is playing on the wing with Reece Robinson on the bench.

Coxy said:
BennyHFan said:
i just heard recently that David Stagg ism playing 5/8 tomorrow with Darren Lockyer on the bench

Yep, heard that too.

And Greg Eastwood is playing on the wing with Reece Robinson on the bench.

Actually coxy i have also heard that Stagg is playing 5/8 for the first 20 mins with lockyer on the bench.

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • Santa
  • Brotherdu
  • Wolfie
  • Ejbroncos
  • Bish
  • Tim K
  • Fatboy
  • broncsgoat
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.