NEWS One more sleep: here's what they're saying

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Kevin Walters:

“It does feel different certainly (to coaching Origin). Origin is different, this is a week-to-week thing, we have 25 weeks of this preparation. Origin is a three-match series and it’s run and won before you know it. This is a longer race and it’s a race I am really ready for. We are starting in an equal position and I expect our guys to give a performance they know they can play to, that’s all I’m expecting of them.”

"I just think keeping ‘Milf’ happy is the key. He is certainly fit, he is looking forward to playing. If I put myself in Anthony’s shoes, he is under a lot of pressure and the only way to answer that pressure is by putting in a performance that everybody knows he can do. That’s up to Anthony now to produce the type of form I know he is capable of. We didn’t see much of it last year, but I have a lot of trust and faith in what Anthony can bring to the team and I want to see that on Friday night."

“The grand-final (in 2015) was a few years ago so what we want to see from Anthony is his best asset, which is running the ball. Defensively, we need him to be strong as well, he has some big guys coming at him so he has to defend the way I know he can defend. When he is on, there is not a better player in the competition in my books.”

“I went with Brodie because of his experience. He has played 40 more games than Tom. I have a healthy respect for both halfbacks and Tom can consider himself unlucky. I believe he has a great future here and we will put the work into him to make sure he develops into the player we know he can be. But this game is a big occasion for everyone so I just wanted to go with the experience of Brodie Croft in the halves."

“It’s up to Brodie now, it’s not a decision I will make, it’s a decision Brodie will make on his performance tomorrow night. It’s nice to know we have two playmakers available if required.”

“It’s important for Lodgey and Tevita to aim up in midfield. I’m really happy with our forwards and the pack we are running out with. Even with our bench, Tom Flegler and John Asiata and Ethan Bullemor will get their opportunities. Ben Te’o has experience on the bench so I’m happy with our mix. The early games are traditionally won through the middle of the field and we are very stacked with the selection of our forwards in the middle.”

Darren Lockyer:

“This is Brodie’s chance to show what he’s got. Brodie just needs to provide direction and a kicking game. Anthony Milford’s natural game is to play what’s in front of him, so it’s important that Brodie takes control of the team and organises them.

“Brodie has clearly impressed ‘Kevvie’ (Walters) in the pre-season with his approach. His selection ahead of Dearden is a reward for his effort, but now he needs to deliver on the field. Like a lot of the players at the Broncos, Brodie needs some confidence and after last year their self-belief would have been dented. Brodie probably brings a little more experience to the halfback position at this stage of his career."

“Tom had a decent season last year but over the course of your career, you are going to have some flat periods and times when you might miss the team. Brodie is a real pro with his preparation, he works really hard to prepare himself for games and he has played more than 50 NRL games now, so he needs to step up.”

Shane Webke:

“Being a front rower is the easiest job on the field because all you’ve got to do is grab that ball at the right times and move forward. When the other team is running you make sure you gather your mates around you in the middle of the field and make sure they don’t go through you."

“Our game starts and ends with defence. If those two front rowers make a pact with themselves to be an impregnable fortress in the middle with our defence, we will win more games than we lose. It is that simple. Defence is the hardest part of the game. Where the game is won is up front and in the middle, predicated on how good your defence is."

“They need to keep it as simple as deciding ‘no one is coming through us easy this year. Forget about what they can do with the footy. That doesn’t matter. They are all capable of whacking blokes and keeping them whacked. If they put that in their playbook as being the most important thing then we will win more than we lose.”

“You want a tough game to start the year and be tested. We don’t have to win, but you will quickly know what their attitude in defence is. If you looked at the Broncos last year, that’s where I found them utterly appalling and what transpired to soft missed tackles. If they keep that to a minimum and lose no-one will be worried. Everyone will see the improvement and think they’re back on track. I hope that is the mindset."

“We all love Kevvie being there, but it’s ridiculous if people think him being there is suddenly going to catapult us into the better end of the season and a grand final. That’s a ludicrous way to think. The problems that exist there haven’t happened overnight and won’t be fixed overnight. Some latitude is required. What they need is improvement for themselves and the long-suffering fans who have always been the best in the game. We owe them.”

Matty Johns:

"On Friday night, I only see a Parramatta win. If they apply a fast attacking game through the Broncos’ middle defence, Brisbane’s major defensive weakness, they’ll score plenty of points."

McHunt

Johns may or may not turn out to be correct but he can get fucked either way. Typical Sydney media bullshit tacking on some debbie downer southern cockhead putting the club down after a bunch of insightful quotes from former legends.

Johns may or may not turn out to be correct but he can get fucked either way. Typical Sydney media bullshit tacking on some debbie downer southern cockhead putting the club down after a bunch of insightful quotes from former legends.
Sorry, you can blame me for that. I compiled those quotes from a bunch of different stories. A lot of the same quotes are being recycled under different headlines. The Johns quote was only an excerpt from a much longer piece on both teams. That was the money shot, though.

Last edited:
Is Webcke involved much with the team this year like Petro?

I like his comment ....." If you looked at the Broncos last year, that’s where I found them utterly appalling and what transpired to soft missed tackles...." Thats bang on the cheekbone with an 8oz hook from Tyson.

I’d like to see Milford kick long as well. That’s another asset he put away the last couple of years.

Kevin Walters:

“It does feel different certainly (to coaching Origin). Origin is different, this is a week-to-week thing, we have 25 weeks of this preparation. Origin is a three-match series and it’s run and won before you know it. This is a longer race and it’s a race I am really ready for. We are starting in an equal position and I expect our guys to give a performance they know they can play to, that’s all I’m expecting of them.”

"I just think keeping ‘Milf’ happy is the key. He is certainly fit, he is looking forward to playing. If I put myself in Anthony’s shoes, he is under a lot of pressure and the only way to answer that pressure is by putting in a performance that everybody knows he can do. That’s up to Anthony now to produce the type of form I know he is capable of. We didn’t see much of it last year, but I have a lot of trust and faith in what Anthony can bring to the team and I want to see that on Friday night."

“The grand-final (in 2015) was a few years ago so what we want to see from Anthony is his best asset, which is running the ball. Defensively, we need him to be strong as well, he has some big guys coming at him so he has to defend the way I know he can defend. When he is on, there is not a better player in the competition in my books.”

“I went with Brodie because of his experience. He has played 40 more games than Tom. I have a healthy respect for both halfbacks and Tom can consider himself unlucky. I believe he has a great future here and we will put the work into him to make sure he develops into the player we know he can be. But this game is a big occasion for everyone so I just wanted to go with the experience of Brodie Croft in the halves."

“It’s up to Brodie now, it’s not a decision I will make, it’s a decision Brodie will make on his performance tomorrow night. It’s nice to know we have two playmakers available if required.”

“It’s important for Lodgey and Tevita to aim up in midfield. I’m really happy with our forwards and the pack we are running out with. Even with our bench, Tom Flegler and John Asiata and Ethan Bullemor will get their opportunities. Ben Te’o has experience on the bench so I’m happy with our mix. The early games are traditionally won through the middle of the field and we are very stacked with the selection of our forwards in the middle.”

Darren Lockyer:

“This is Brodie’s chance to show what he’s got. Brodie just needs to provide direction and a kicking game. Anthony Milford’s natural game is to play what’s in front of him, so it’s important that Brodie takes control of the team and organises them.

“Brodie has clearly impressed ‘Kevvie’ (Walters) in the pre-season with his approach. His selection ahead of Dearden is a reward for his effort, but now he needs to deliver on the field. Like a lot of the players at the Broncos, Brodie needs some confidence and after last year their self-belief would have been dented. Brodie probably brings a little more experience to the halfback position at this stage of his career."

“Tom had a decent season last year but over the course of your career, you are going to have some flat periods and times when you might miss the team. Brodie is a real pro with his preparation, he works really hard to prepare himself for games and he has played more than 50 NRL games now, so he needs to step up.”

Shane Webke:

“Being a front rower is the easiest job on the field because all you’ve got to do is grab that ball at the right times and move forward. When the other team is running you make sure you gather your mates around you in the middle of the field and make sure they don’t go through you."

“Our game starts and ends with defence. If those two front rowers make a pact with themselves to be an impregnable fortress in the middle with our defence, we will win more games than we lose. It is that simple. Defence is the hardest part of the game. Where the game is won is up front and in the middle, predicated on how good your defence is."

“They need to keep it as simple as deciding ‘no one is coming through us easy this year. Forget about what they can do with the footy. That doesn’t matter. They are all capable of whacking blokes and keeping them whacked. If they put that in their playbook as being the most important thing then we will win more than we lose.”

“You want a tough game to start the year and be tested. We don’t have to win, but you will quickly know what their attitude in defence is. If you looked at the Broncos last year, that’s where I found them utterly appalling and what transpired to soft missed tackles. If they keep that to a minimum and lose no-one will be worried. Everyone will see the improvement and think they’re back on track. I hope that is the mindset."

“We all love Kevvie being there, but it’s ridiculous if people think him being there is suddenly going to catapult us into the better end of the season and a grand final. That’s a ludicrous way to think. The problems that exist there haven’t happened overnight and won’t be fixed overnight. Some latitude is required. What they need is improvement for themselves and the long-suffering fans who have always been the best in the game. We owe them.”

Matty Johns:

"On Friday night, I only see a Parramatta win. If they apply a fast attacking game through the Broncos’ middle defence, Brisbane’s major defensive weakness, they’ll score plenty of points."

McHunt
Was anybody else a little shocked to read that Croft has only played 40 games more than Dearden?

That number honestly in my mind felt like it should have been probably 50% high at least. Really puts into context how long Croft had to bide his time compared to Dearden as a teenager being thrown head first into a turd sandwich and told to keep chewing.

Last edited:
Was anybody else a little shocked to read that Croft has only played 40 games more than Dearden?

That number honestly in my mind felt like it should have been probably 50% high at least. Really puts into context how long Croft had to bide his time compared to Dearden as a teenager being thrown head first into a turd sandwich and told to keep chewing.
Would probably be a few more ISC games too considering he was in the Melbourne system?

C'mon boys, fresh start. Put 2020 behind you and show why you get paid so much. Looking forward to it.

Would probably be a few more ISC games too considering he was in the Melbourne system?
Dearden has played more NRL games than he has played Queensland Cup games if I'm not mistaken. That's a scary thing when you really think about it.

Dearden has played more NRL games than he has played Queensland Cup games if I'm not mistaken. That's a scary thing when you really think about it.
Its a lot of pressure for a young kid!

Matty Johns:

Andrew Johns also said big win for Parra.

I can't see us winning or even getting close, I just hope we don't get flogged.

We are the fkin wooden spooners and have not added at all to our squad, not to mention getting pantsed by lesser teams in the trials. We deserve to be massive underdogs and Parra deserve to be favourites - lets also not forget the last 5 or so games vs Parra were nothing more than diabolical ass whoopins...

If Matty, Joey or any other NRL media personalities came out and said otherwise we'd be questioning their knowledge of the game.

If by round 6 we've strung together a few good wins they're still predicting our downfall, then we riot.

I can't see us winning or even getting close, I just hope we don't get flogged.
We are the fkin wooden spooners and have not added at all to our squad, not to mention getting pantsed by lesser teams in the trials. We deserve to be massive underdogs and Parra deserve to be favourites - lets also not forget the last 5 or so games vs Parra were nothing more than diabolical ass whoopins...

If Matty, Joey or any other NRL media personalities came out and said otherwise we'd be questioning their knowledge of the game.

If by round 6 we've strung together a few good wins they're still predicting our downfall, then we riot.
But we have the Kevolution. Back in the day when QLD was the Broncos in a different jersey:

Last edited:

Active Now

• Galah
  • Midean
  • simplythebest
  • Wolfie
  • Justwin
  • BroncosMan
  • Fatboy
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Battler
  • Santa
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Skathen
  • MrMoore
  • winslow_wong
  • Financeguy
  • Mustafur
  • Strop
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Brotherdu
  • Harry Sack
... and 33 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.