Origin I Player Ratings

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
I'll go by the News Limited scale so I don't offend anybody with my strange system.

NSW
Hayne - 8.5
Morris - 5
Jennings - 7.5
J. Morris - 5
Ferguson - 6.5
Maloney - 7
Pearce - 6
Tamou - 5
Farah - 8
Gallen - 7.5
Lewis - 9
Hoffman - 5
Bird - 7.5

Reynolds - N/A
Watmough - 7
Merrin - 5.5
Fifita - 6.5

QLD
Slater - 7
Boyd - 5.5
GI - 6
Hodges - 7.5
Tate - 5.5
JT - 6.5
Cronk - 4.5
Scott - 7
Smith - 7.5
Shillington - 5
Myles - 7
Thaiday - 6
Harrison - 5

Parker - 7.5
Gillett - 5
Te'o - 5.5
McQueen - 5

NSW MotM: Lewis
Qld MotM: Hodges

Game 1 MotM: Lewis

Last edited:
That's pretty high for Thurston, I'd have him lower than Cronk. Thurston shouldn't have been playing, but I guess he wanted that record.

I could knock a .5 off of JT but I thought he was comfortably better than Cronk who killed moment after moment by not passing it.

If you add the ratings for all the halves on the field tonight, I don't think it should be higher than a 12.

OK Pete, using your rating system ... but for starters, Gillett deserves more than 5. His tackling tonight was deadly and his running strong.

NSW
Hayne - 8.5
Morris - 5
Jennings - 7.5
J. Morris - 5
Ferguson - 6.5
Maloney - 8
Pearce -7.5
Tamou - 5
Farah - 8
Gallen - 7
Lewis - 9.5
Hoffman - 5
Bird - 8.5

Reynolds - N/A
Watmough - 7
Merrin - 6.5
Fifita - 4.5

QLD
Slater - 7
Boyd - 6
GI - 7.5
Hodges - 8
Tate - 7
JT - 6.5 (He didn't know if he was arthur or martha most of the time - when he did, we fired more or less)
Cronk - 3 (That was pathetic)
Scott - 7
Smith - 6.5
Shillington - 6
Myles - 7.5
Thaiday - 7
Harrison - 5 (shouldn't be there again)

Parker - 7.5
Gillett - 7.5
Te'o -7
McQueen - 7

NSW MotM: Lewis
Qld MotM: Hodges

Game 1 MotM: Lewis

Gillett really didn't do all that much other than come in over the top and put a few Blues down based on what I saw.

I was going to give him a 5.5 for that alone but then that crappy offload came to mind and I had to give him an average score.

On the true BP scale, not the generous News Limited scale with decimals, he'd cop a 3. 3 is mainly for quiet games or those who had one good play but followed it with 2 crappy plays.

It's a system of genius!

For those playing at home, Lewis would have topped it with an 8. I thought he did his job and more which is what nails it for me.

The Gillett hate is getting ridiculous, seriously.

He was by far the second best benchie tonight (after the magnificent Parker). Run with purpose, tackled really well (didn't miss a tackle, made 2 one on one tackles, one of which completely smashed Gallen) and got his hand through the line in his hit-ups, but no one was there to capitalise. Yes, his one offload wasn't pretty, but that is pretty much the only thing that he can be blamed on.

McQueen was the worst of the 3 IMO. I agree with Porthoz that Gillett was the 2nd best...but none of the 3 really did enough for my liking. Good in those tiny bursts, but just not enough in total.

I'm not saying he sucked.

Just that he didn't do much with his limited opportunity.

He wasn't who we needed to come on at that time.

True, but Papalli wasn't on the bench.

It wouldn't have mattered. Neither of our halves knew what was going on and we were soooooo slow to come up in defence and there was so much bunching and standing flat footed.

Mal ought stop watching Bronco game videos

Disagree, halves rely on their forwards to create space.

I'm glad I was called out on Gillett because it made me review the scores. Shillington a 6? I've gone back to a 5 because I don't want to auto-correct too far but he was a large part of us being crap tonight. He needs to come off the bench in the future.

Disagree, halves rely on their forwards to create space.

I'm glad I was called out on Gillett because it made me review the scores. Shillington a 6? I've gone back to a 5 because I don't want to auto-correct too far but he was a large part of us being crap tonight. He needs to come off the bench in the future.

That's true about the halves, but there also has to be a combination, communication, direction, and there was bugger all of that ... and yes, the forwards were bunched and running one out too close to the ruck

Yeah, that's exactly what you are saying. A 5 or a 3 according to your ranking tells the tale.

From where I'm standing, he couldn't have done much more with his opportunity.
Just checking his stats, he made 20 tackles, 2 one on one like I said, 6 hit-ups for 50 mtrs, which is clearly better than Te'o or McQueen did.
I know stats don't tell everything, but they are important for a forward, besides I thought his work was pretty good both in attack (bar that offload) and defence!
In fact, I think Gillett was the third best Qld forward behind Parker and Myles tonight, when looking at amount and quality of work / minute.

As I explained, the numbers represent what I believe to be a fine if not quiet game. He would have received a higher score had he not thrown that terrible offload which you're completely downplaying.

Those stats aren't even finalised yet and in the context of the game really aren't that impressive. We needed impact and all he brought was a couple of tackles coming in and a couple of decent runs. Given his role in the side, he didn't deliver for mine.

Wow, one bad offload, thrown when there was a degree of desperation about the score, is enough to bring him a couple of notches down to the point where Te'o who delivered much less, has a better score, and McQueen who essentially didn't deliver, gets the same! :001_rolleyes:

Yeah, let's agree to completely disagree.

It's numerical ratings - the 5 is merely there to represent he had a fine game.

I never said anything about a couple of notches, just that his score would have been higher. Exaggerating like that just leads to unnecessary conflict.

Te'o came in at a difficult time and made a couple of handy runs that really helped exert some pressure on NSW. I believe this is reflected in his tackle break column, a very underrated stat IMO. McQueen was fine too, I thought he made a few good tackles and was putting together some nice clean play the balls. He's on par with Gillett because as mentioned, he didn't make a mistake like Gillett did.

There's no conflict mate.

I just completely disagree with your point of view. I thought Gillett did exactly what was required of him, and made a mistake with that offload in a moment of desperation, which is being weighed too harshly in my opinion, given it didn't even result in a loss of possession.
For example, Smith's double movement was much worse, as it not only resulted in a penalty for the grubs, it also killed our momentum.

I'm not dismissing Te'o or McQueen's efforts either. I'm just saying they weren't as good as Gillett. And btw, I would be surprised if Gillett didn't get a couple of tackle breaks too when the final stats are shown...

As I said before, I believe Gillett was only bettered by Parker and Myles in the forwards. Shillington was quite disappointing, Harrison was the worst, Thaiday was okay, but I wanted more of him, and Scott wasn't the force he normally is, surrendering too often and too easy compared to his normal game.

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • Tmac
  • Bish
  • Waynesaurus
  • Pablo
  • Financeguy
  • mieko
  • lynx000
  • Broncorob
  • TimWhatley
  • FACTHUNT
  • Santa
  • BroncosAlways
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Lozza
  • Aldo
  • Allo
  • Nerd
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.