Origin I Player Ratings

I understand your point but you've got to understand that Smith played 80 and was one of the few Maroons players looking to create opportunities from dummy half. His value and influence is always going to be higher than a bench player who at the earliest started playing part-way through the second half.

My score isn't entirely a reflection on Matt and his ability but also the role he was given. He was virtually given a cameo, a small part and that's a very tough position to steal a show in. He didn't have a lot of time to show what he was capable of and thus moments like that offload are going to be scrutinised far more than Smith's double movement.

In saying, this thread is entirely light hearted subjective fun. I have no problem explaining my position, I don't like my score being dismissed as hate.

I'd like to see some more scores.

The hate comment wasn't directed strictly at you, and is more a figure of speech than anything else.
In the game related threads, several people have indicated that Gillett should be dropped, when he did absolutely nothing to deserve that, on the contrary.
After all the grief people have been unfairly putting on the bloke this season, enough was enough, and your thread copped it... :tongue_smilie:

There are even people suggesting that he should be released from the Broncos... AFTER the showing our second tier forwards put against the Warriors. To me, that indicates that there is a lot of bias and pet hate driven agendas here, but that is for another thread.

Can't be bothered rating the grubs, but I'll Give Gallen a generous -1 for his "courageous" head shot and king hits on a man with his defence down. Yet another NSW'ker grub act of the highest order.

I hope they take him out at Suncorp and send him home with a sign pinned to his forehead: "Under re-construction"

Queensland Maroons:

Slater - 6
Boyd - 5.5
GI - 6
Hodges - 8.5
Tate - 6
JT - 5
Cronk - 3
Scott - 7
Smith - 7.5
Shillington - 5
Myles - 7
Thaiday - 6
Harrison - 4

Parker - 8.5
Gillett - 7
Te'o - 6.5
McQueen - 6

NSW MotM: Lewis
Qld MotM: Hodges/Parker

Game 1 MotM: Lewis

NSW Ratings

Hayne- 8
B-Morris- 6
Jennings- 7.5
J-Morris- 7
Ferguson- 7
Maloney- 8
Pearce-6
Gallen- 8
Farah- 8
Tamou- 6.5
Lewis- 9
Hoffman- 6.5
Bird- 8

Fifita- 6.5
Reynolds- Didn't play
Merrin- 6.5
Watmough- 7

Tate: 8.5
Parker & Slater: 7.5
everyone else: <5
special mention to Cronk: 2

Hard to blame Cronk for everything when JT couldn't do anything outside of catch a football. Guy shouldn't of played.

He did have a poor game though. Basically hit a NSW player every time with a kick.

I could knock a .5 off of JT but I thought he was comfortably better than Cronk who killed moment after moment by not passing it.

Thurston and Cronk were both poor. Thurston was better though, which really says something about how bad Cronk was.

I think you're being a bit nice with Billy. He didn't really inject himself into the game at all.

Harsh on Tate and GI too IMO. But I giess comparing with NSW it's fair.

I'll have to check a replay, but won't be doing so until the eve of Origin II - I can't analyse Origin games so close to a loss.

I'll keep the opinions on board and see how much my perception changes. Usually, my second look of Broncos games changes my view on the game fairly drastically.

I did notice the amount of Cronks kicks last night which were booted straight into a NSW player. Was frustrating as hell.

not only were they straight down their throat, but they were very short for a "long" kick. most looked like 30-35m.

NSW Ratings

Hayne- 8
B-Morris- 6
Jennings- 7.5
J-Morris- 7
Ferguson- 7
Maloney- 8
Pearce-6
Gallen- 8
Farah- 8
Tamou- 6.5
Lewis- 9
Hoffman- 6.5
Bird- 8

Fifita- 6.5
Reynolds- Didn't play
Merrin- 6.5
Watmough- 7

Oh hey, it's the DT or whatever rating system - nothing lower than a 6.

I don't really want to rank every player, but the ones that stood out in some ways included

QLD:

Hodges - 7.5. Great performance in attack. Some poor defensive reads that let a few NSW players through, though I can't quite remember if they were his fault or Thaiday's or even both.

Thurston and Cronk - 3. Terrible. Thurston shouldn't have been playing. Cronk was awful, but everything kinda fell on him.

Shillington and Harrison - 3. The worst of our forwards.

Parker and Myles - 7.5. Parker was fantastic when he came on, but just didn't play enough minute for my liking. Not his fault, but would have probably been my QLD MOTM if he did. Myles was the only consistently good forward. Played hard for the whole game.

NSW.

Hayne - 7. Great defensive display, but didn't contribute enough in attack for mine. Maybe not his fault, but with halves as bad as NSW's, you'd think he'd do more.

Jorris - 2. Did nothing except get owned by Inglis.

Maloney - 4. The best half on the field...and that isn't saying much. Not really a ball player, more of a ball runner. Should be playing with Carney in the halves.

Pearce - 2. Probably the worst Origin player I've seen in a long time (who has played a fair number of games). He is going to cost NSW the series IMO.

Luke Lewis - 9. MOTM. Great footwork to continuously beat our defenders who didn't even come up as a line.

Oh hey, it's the DT or whatever rating system - nothing lower than a 6.

I don't really want to rank every player, but the ones that stood out in some ways included

QLD:

Hodges - 7.5. Great performance in attack. Some poor defensive reads that let a few NSW players through, though I can't quite remember if they were his fault or Thaiday's or even both.

Thurston and Cronk - 3. Terrible. Thurston shouldn't have been playing. Cronk was awful, but everything kinda fell on him.

Shillington and Harrison - 3. The worst of our forwards.

Parker and Myles - 7.5. Parker was fantastic when he came on, but just didn't play enough minute for my liking. Not his fault, but would have probably been my QLD MOTM if he did. Myles was the only consistently good forward. Played hard for the whole game.

NSW.

Hayne - 7. Great defensive display, but didn't contribute enough in attack for mine. Maybe not his fault, but with halves as bad as NSW's, you'd think he'd do more.

Jorris - 2. Did nothing except get owned by Inglis.

Maloney - 4. The best half on the field...and that isn't saying much. Not really a ball player, more of a ball runner. Should be playing with Carney in the halves.

Pearce - 2. Probably the worst Origin player I've seen in a long time (who has played a fair number of games). He is going to cost NSW the series IMO.

Luke Lewis - 9. MOTM. Great footwork to continuously beat our defenders who didn't even come up as a line.

I almost gave Pearce a 5 as I thought his passing game was average but he did come up with some good tackles and was fairly solid.

Last edited:
Yeah, I thought Pearce's kicking game alone deserved a solid rating.

I believe it was Mitch who came up with that inch perfect long kick that forced Billy to take it out from the try line and then he came up with a beauty towards the end which should have been a goal line drop out but Jennings was too overeager.

I did notice the amount of Cronks kicks last night which were booted straight into a NSW player. Was frustrating as hell.

Agreed, Cronk was hopeless. He also missed a lot of tackles.

Yeah I don't think Gillett did that bad tonight, certainly better than some of the other guys and I have been vocal about getting rid of him. Very surprised at Hodges performance I must say. Why is Parker not QLD number 13?

Active Now

• TimWhatley
  • Broncorob
  • Financeguy
  • Santa
  • Brotherdu
  • Wolfie
  • Ejbroncos
  • Bish
  • Tim K
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.