OFFICIAL ORIGIN: QLD WINS. HOORAY. NOW LET'S GET BACK TO THE FOOTY

Since we're coming into Origin season, we might like to think about how it's going to affect our playing roster and recovery time. Here is the schedule, and how it will impact us.

IMPACTROUNDDATEOPPONENT
Missing players17Sunday, July 10Dragons
Origin 3Wednesday, July 13
Backing up: 3 days18Saturday, July 16Titans

We have 2 remaining games to be affected by representative matches:

Dragons in Round 17
Broncos missing
Kurt Capewell
Corey Oates
Selwyn Cobbo
Patty Carrigan
Tommy Flegler (replacement)

Dragons missing
Ben Hunt

Titans in Round 18
Broncos possibly resting
Corey Oates
Kurt Capewell
Selwyn Cobbo
Patty Carrigan

Titans possibly resting
Tino Fa'asuamaleaui

ORIGIN 3 SQUAD : QLD

Kurt Capewell
Selwyn Cobbo
Pat Carrigan
Corey Oates
Tommy Flegler (18th man)

NSW ORIGIN 3: NSW
No Broncos

So if we sacked most of the game2 team, who would we pick?

Youd have Dale Shearer and Matt Rogers running out

I can definitely see the argument for leaving Fifita out, he is a lazy shit at times (although I think it's overstated because of his paypacket), but I would have 100% picked him on the bench for a 20 minute stint at the end. He's a genuine game breaker.
I would've liked to see Fifita in the team for that 20mins role... but maybe they need more minutes given Nanai is starting.

If Fifita wasn't injured at the start of the series I would've preferred him over Nanai for that impact off the bench... maybe it comes down to being unable to have them both in the team and ensuring you'll get a full 80mins out of the two of them. Although I'm not totally convinced they will be able to get that out of Gilbert either.

I have been somewhat impressed by Gilbert's lateral movement at second row though... I was expecting him to be a slug out there, but he's reasonably mobile and also pretty aggressive... kind of like a Coen Hess lite when he first came into grade and was a wrecking ball on the edge.

When has Fifita broken a game this year?

He's due......

George Costanza Reaction GIF

....long history of QLD players coming into the side, badly out of form and having screamers on the night.

He's due......

George Costanza Reaction GIF

....long history of QLD players coming into the side, badly out of form and having screamers on the night.
Usually they have form in Origin, if anything Fifita was exposed in Origin even when he was killing it for the Broncos or Titans.

I would've liked to see Fifita in the team for that 20mins role... but maybe they need more minutes given Nanai is starting.

If Fifita wasn't injured at the start of the series I would've preferred him over Nanai for that impact off the bench... maybe it comes down to being unable to have them both in the team and ensuring you'll get a full 80mins out of the two of them. Although I'm not totally convinced they will be able to get that out of Gilbert either.

I have been somewhat impressed by Gilbert's lateral movement at second row though... I was expecting him to be a slug out there, but he's reasonably mobile and also pretty aggressive... kind of like a Coen Hess lite when he first came into grade and was a wrecking ball on the edge.
Billy said on 360 tonight he wants Nanai to play 80.

I don't think we need a second rower on the bench, especially when Arrow can play there if there is an injury. But if we have to pick one, I think it should be Fifita.

Fifita has played 5 games for QLD and has done nothing to suggest he will be a game breaker.

Now people want him in the side when he's been horribly out of form, has been injured for a large chunk of the year and doesn't have the match fitness?

In what world would that be good for QLD?

When has Fifita broken a game this year? When has he done it at Origin level?

If anything Fermor is the Titans player who can consider himself unlucky.
He literally came on the other night against the Knights, Titans had nothing going, he broke a tackle, and pulled off an excellent offload which led to an easy try. That's talent, and in origin if the game is close, having a sub like him can be the difference.

If I was Fitler I'd be much more worried about Fifita coming on with 20 to go than Gilbert.

Fifita has played 5 games for QLD and has done nothing to suggest he will be a game breaker.

Now people want him in the side when he's been horribly out of form, has been injured for a large chunk of the year and doesn't have the match fitness?

He hasn't been out of form. You saying he has just shows you haven't watched him play this year.

How do you know he doesnt have match fitness? Him being horribly unfit is so exaggerated, he played 55 minutes on the weekend and made 18 tackles, 15 runs for 137, 4 tackle breaks, 2 offloads, and a try assist. Doesnt really scream unfit, in a 20 minute stint he could have a serious impact.

Capewell 9 runs for 57m and 19 tackles.

He literally came on the other night against the Knights, Titans had nothing going, he broke a tackle, and pulled off an excellent offload which led to an easy try. That's talent, and in origin if the game is close, having a sub like him can be the difference.

If I was Fitler I'd be much more worried about Fifita coming on with 20 to go than Gilbert.
He'd been on the field for nearly 30 minutes, the Gold Coast were already mounting a comeback after Brimson scored off an inside pass. He didn't break anything, he came up with one offload and they got to expose Gagai/Young's edge.

When he literally came on, the Knights scored moments later down the side of the field he was defending. Not entirely his fault mind, but he was way too slow dropping off the decoy and onto Milford. It gave Milford all the time and world to float it to Young. If he can make 2022 Milford look like peak Wally Lewis, imagine how good Cleary and co. would look?

How do you know he doesnt have match fitness? Him being horribly unfit is so exaggerated, he played 55 minutes on the weekend and made 18 tackles, 15 runs for 137, 4 tackle breaks, 2 offloads, and a try assist. Doesnt really scream unfit, in a 20 minute stint he could have a serious impact.

Capewell 9 runs for 57m and 19 tackles.
I wouldn't expect a centre to make that many tackles.

Usually they have form in Origin, if anything Fifita was exposed in Origin even when he was killing it for the Broncos or Titans.
Justin Hodges had shockers from memory in his first few games for QLD......

Did we write him off and say never again?

Fifita has X factor......as Munster showed in Game 1, that will win you the game. Something from nothing.....

He won't lose us the game, of that I'm sure.

Justin Hodges had shockers from memory in his first few games for QLD......

Did we write him off and say never again?

Fifita has X factor......as Munster showed in Game 1, that will win you the game. Something from nothing.....

He won't lose us the game, of that I'm sure.
The fans did until he was one of the form players in the competition from 2005/06 and earned his recall.

No one is writing Fifita off, they're just saying not this year.

Munster was also a form player.

He won't lose us the game because he wasn't picked.

I wouldn't expect a centre to make that many tackles.
To be fair though, Cape well has a very low workrate, Fifita is actually up there for involvement, it's just people have very high expectations of him, which is fair enough in a salary cap. Origin doesn't have that, again, far from the finished product but his competition for 17, is Gilbert who may as well be Riki in a better coached team. Safe enough choice but hardly worth the interchange.

To be fair though, Cape well has a very low workrate, Fifita is actually up there for involvement, it's just people have very high expectations of him, which is fair enough in a salary cap. Origin doesn't have that, again, far from the finished product but his competition for 17, is Gilbert who may as well be Riki in a better coached team. Safe enough choice but hardly worth the interchange.
Sure but the thing Capewell has going for him is that he's actually played well in this area and does the effort plays Fifita just hasn't wrapped around his head. It could still happen, Capewell didn't even nail down a first grade spot until he was 24 but it is what it is.

I also disagree on Gilbert because Tom has far more intensity to his game than Riki which is what you want in Origin. He makes it personal and he's playing the better team first football. Tom is doing things that are conducive to winning, Fifita is doing things that look nice on a highlights reel. Also no guarantee Slater wants a 20 minute performance from Gilbert either, he may want 50-60 with Nanai coming in for the opening exchanges.

The fans did until he was one of the form players in the competition from 2005/06 and earned his recall.

No one is writing Fifita off, they're just saying not this year.

Munster was also a form player.

He won't lose us the game because he wasn't picked.
Serious Korean Drama GIF by The Swoon

Active Now

• RolledOates
  • Fozz
  • Broncosgirl
  • Jedhead
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.