Our grass is greener

soup

State of Origin Rep
Let’s make this a place for making our lawns fantastic for our children and dogs.

Post any questions here and myself and hopefully other lawn champs can help.

soup

State of Origin Rep
These are photos of my lawn, not at its best best healthy considering it’s QLD Blue going into winter.

It’s a rental, and two years ago it was more dirt and bindis/weeds than lawn.

F762C59D-C634-4905-A2F8-C0C2ED571375.jpeg8F6DAFC0-AF28-4F4C-82E7-361B9E8B5299.jpeg88BE766E-D865-42F8-9718-E68C872F7682.jpegC57DE0CF-059B-4460-90FB-DDD09268065A.jpeg93B8D5F1-4634-43A2-9D48-8FAF20E14EBD.jpeg

Last edited:

AndyB

QCup Player

soup

State of Origin Rep
Nice Soup.
I'll post mine during the spring/summer.
Unfortunately my Sir Walter soft leaf Buffalo isn't a fan of winter here in WA.
Mate, that’s just winter. I’ve had a few frosts here which is I didn’t post any back yard shots. Part n parcel. My vege garden. Is going off though. I’ll post a photo tomorrow if is remember.

AndyB

QCup Player
Mate, that’s just winter. I’ve had a few frosts here which is I didn’t post any back yard shots. Part n parcel. My vege garden. Is going off though. I’ll post a photo tomorrow if is remember.
Yeah plus sir Walter growth slows right down, losing colour, it looks best during late spring/summer.
Also haven't been able to look after it to my standard over winter, currently leave home just after 5am, walk through the door at 545pm + weekend work hahaha.

soup

State of Origin Rep
Yeah plus sir Walter growth slows right down, losing colour, it looks best during late spring/summer.
Also haven't been able to look after it to my standard over winter, currently leave home just after 5am, walk through the door at 545pm + weekend work hahaha.
That’s the beauty of Sir Walter. It can dal with a lack of love and bounces back.

roo-ted

NRL Player
I have trouble with the pavement running down the side of my house, they have 80mm gaps in between with medium river rocks running between them. I’ve hit them with round up endlessly, they die but come straight back. Any advice on what to do? It’s a ridiculous design in the first place and obviously they didn’t lay the correct plastic under the pavement before construction.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
I know nothing about grass. But why is Sir Walter touted as greatz and priced the same way, when it's just shitty feeling buffalo grass?

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Hard wearing
Virtually maintenance free
Drought resistant
Fast Self repairing
I get that. But I thought those guys who love their lawn actually want a nice lawn, to use. Not just a green lawn to make Bill across the road get all jelly over it.

It's hard, itchy, crap to walk/lay/ do anything on. I just don't get it myself. And again, the price. I would have thought a nice soft grass would be the premium.

jarro65

State of Origin Rep
Brisvegas
I get that. But I thought those guys who love their lawn actually want a nice lawn, to use. Not just a green lawn to make Bill across the road get all jelly over it.

It's hard, itchy, crap to walk/lay/ do anything on. I just don't get it myself. And again, the price. I would have thought a nice soft grass would be the premium.
I dont find my SW hard/itchy to walk on at all, quite the opposite actually.

Our dogs love it too and quite happily roll around on it all day.

To each their own i guess.

To be fair, i used to have an exclusively couch lawn that i would cylinder mow...fantastic looking lawn when cared for like that, but way too much effort.

Another benefit of SW.

Tom

State of Origin Rep
Anyone got a cheap solution to nutgrass? The selective herbicide cost $60 for a tiny bottle and it grows back anyway. Even when I pull it out nut and all it grows back. Most frustrating weed on Earth.

soup

State of Origin Rep
Anyone got a cheap solution to nutgrass? The selective herbicide cost $60 for a tiny bottle and it grows back anyway. Even when I pull it out nut and all it grows back. Most frustrating weed on Earth.
It's a prick of a thing mate. The expensive stuff is the only shit that work...
Don't pull it because there are other little nut nodules that stay in the ground and break off when pulled, causing it to come back with a vengeance.

I've had some luck in gardens with boiling hot water.

soup

State of Origin Rep

I'd prefer QLD Blue Couch everyday of the week personally, but it's much, much more maintenance.

Tom

State of Origin Rep
It's a prick of a thing mate. The expensive stuff is the only shit that work...
Don't pull it because there are other little nut nodules that stay in the ground and break off when pulled, causing it to come back with a vengeance.

I've had some luck in gardens with boiling hot water.
Yeah I meant dig it out, with a little spade, it still grows back sometimes. By the time you eradicate 1 another has popped up. I assume that $60 treatment is the expensive stuff, it still comes back after that too eventually. It's near invincible.

soup

State of Origin Rep
Yeah I meant dig it out, with a little spade, it still grows back sometimes. By the time you eradicate 1 another has popped up. I assume that $60 treatment is the expensive stuff, it still comes back after that too eventually. It's near invincible.
Sempra:

$44/25g

$55/25g

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter