Our grass is greener

Tom

State of Origin Rep
Sempra:

$44/25g

$55/25g
Yeah that's the stuff. Came in a little test tube.

Last edited:

FGfrom50

NYC Player
I've just bought a place, and the 'lawn' is absolutely terrible. It's a 2 year old house, and it looks to me like the original owner never made any attempt to establish any kind of lawn. There are patches of couch, but lots of weeds and plenty of bare patches too. How would I go about improving it without poisoning the lot and laying turf? I realise it'll never be a prize winner, but I'd like it to be semi nice.

Last edited:

soup

State of Origin Rep
I've just bought a place, and the 'lawn' is absolutely terrible. It's a 2 year old house, and it looks to me like the original owner never made any attempt to establish any kind of lawn. There are patches of couch, but lots of weeds and plenty of bare patches too. How would I go about improving it without poisoning the lot and laying turf? I realise it'll never be a prize winner, but I'd like it to be semi nice.
Mate, I’d glyphosate the lot, bring in new topsoil, level and lay couch. But wait for spring.

Another way is to use a good broad leaf herbicide like Dicamba M every few weeks and in early August, get a bag of Oxafert (granula) and sprinkle that evenly using a purpose built hand machine $30 at hardware. It’s a pre-emergent and quality slow-realise fertiliser best used before spring when all those pesky weed seeds will germinate again. I apply Oxafert twice yearly; pre-spring and then by Easter. Coincides with germination periods.

If you go down this track, then you could transplant ‘plugs’ small patches of that couch at intervals on the bare ground. Throw a fair bit of blood and bone around too. Ideally, you would topsoil and level off also.

Last edited:

soup

State of Origin Rep
Another thing I used to do when I had patches of dirt here was pull up couch runners (after giving a good water so roots aren’t damaged) and then put them in a bucket of water for say 2-3 days max. You could boost the water with a little bit of Powerfeed -Seasol but keep it weak.

After two or three days, plant the runners into the dirt patches by first pushing a screwdriver in at a 30-45 degree angle, then gentle slip the root end of the runner in. Compact it down a bit and water well. You’ll be surprised how good this method works.

Often I’ll go around the pathed areas and gently pull up the overlapping runners before whipper snipping the edges. This all works better in growing season which is really only a month or so to go.

Last edited:

soup

State of Origin Rep
This all reminds me that I need to pickup up my luxury lawn business.

Got a bit slack on it lately and need to get in before Spring with Marketing.

I genuinely enjoy this stuff so much more than teaching or designing on a computer and I’ve acquired so much knowledge from genuine curiosity. Gotta follow those dreams.

Last edited:

Aldo

NRL Player
New South Wails
Mate, my lawn in places is pretty ordinary due to the soil being quite compact and hard. Over the years I've cored it and put some organic type soil onto the lawn to try and change the soil type but it just doesn't stay nice and soft. I was told by a mate to do this again but use river sand. What do you think soup soup?

soup

State of Origin Rep
Mate, my lawn in places is pretty ordinary due to the soil being quite compact and hard. Over the years I've cored it and put some organic type soil onto the lawn to try and change the soil type but it just doesn't stay nice and soft. I was told by a mate to do this again but use river sand. What do you think soup soup?
Yeah I’d agree with your mate and use medium grain washed river sand. Actually, you can get the landscape mob to do a mix with some compost, say 70% sand and 30% compost. The key thing is to core in both directions, so twice. Also, it sounds like you have clay based soil like me. **** of a thing. I used bottles of liquid gypsum sprayed on with a 5litre pump pack, but it’d be easier if you’ve got a 10/15L backpack sprayer. The liquid gypsum works much quicker than powdered. Powdered can take a year for any effect. I’d core, then gypsum it, then slow release granular feet it, then topdress it. Hope this helps mate.

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Alright lawnbros, I need yo advice.

What can I do about the mess in this video below? Here's the facts:

- Apparently someone spread a bunch of seeds of one type of grass, then someone else spread other seeds of some other type of grass. Seems like there's some of that weed grass shit in there too, particularly along the fence lines.
- Ground is super moist/muddy and has been for the majority of winter. Not sure if it should be mowed whilst muddy? Was super patchy before the grass got longer, it probably still is and the grass is just disguising it.
- This yard is only a few hundred metres from a lake, which could possibly be contributing to the boggy-ness?

I know sweet **** all about lawns, so any advice would be appreciated!

Here's some pics:

Tom

State of Origin Rep

- Apparently someone spread a bunch of seeds of one type of grass, then someone else spread other seeds of some other type of grass. Seems like there's some of that weed grass shit in there too, particularly along the fence lines.
- Ground is super moist/muddy and has been for the majority of winter. Not sure if it should be mowed whilst muddy? Was super patchy before the grass got longer, it probably still is and the grass is just disguising it.
- This yard is only a few hundred metres from a lake, which could possibly be contributing to the boggy-ness?

Here's some pics:

View attachment 5835

View attachment 5836

View attachment 5837
Have you considered concreting it?

soup

State of Origin Rep

Here's some pics:

View attachment 5835

View attachment 5836

View attachment 5837
I’ll get back to you with more details mate, but the rule is, the more you mow it, the more lateral growth (ie thicker thatch) you will get. I mow every two weeks in winter even though I could leave it for four. This guarantees the lawn is thick and strangles out weeds. In summer, I’ve been known to mow three times a week, usually at least twice, but once a week for the regular bloke is a minimum.

jarro65

State of Origin Rep
Brisvegas

Here's some pics:

View attachment 5835

View attachment 5836

View attachment 5837
If that were my lawn, i would gradually get the height of the lawn down, then aerate it and apply a topdressing of washed pit sand. That should help with drainage.

Tom

State of Origin Rep
Glyphosate was my first thought. Or a flamethrower.
Venus flytraps grow very well in a bog. Could fill the yard with them?

Never know, it could look good.

Last edited:

Unbreakable

International Rep
Staff
27.4° S, 153.0° E
My yard gets super boggy as well, all it takes is a few days of rain and it's a bog for about a month, primarily because the bottom part of my yard hardly gets any sun.

I don't know shit about lawns though, I just mow the bastard when it starts tickling my ankles when I'm hanging out the washing.

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Haha thanks for the advice so far, lads.

FYI it's not my lawn, I wouldn't let it go that far!

Is mowing it while it's all muddy going to just make a big mess? Like, the ground moves under your foot weight, it's that muddy.

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
whippersnip
Did just think of that after posting haha, cheers my man!
- Merged

If that were my lawn, i would gradually get the height of the lawn down, then aerate it and apply a topdressing of washed pit sand. That should help with drainage.
This sounds like it could work based on my extensive knowledge of lawn care! 😁

I'll whipper snip, then follow jarro65 jarro65's advice about aerating it (did have to Google that) and a bit of topdressing!

Last edited:

soup

State of Origin Rep
Haha thanks for the advice so far, lads.

FYI it's not my lawn, I wouldn't let it go that far!

Is mowing it while it's all muddy going to just make a big mess? Like, the ground moves under your foot weight, it's that muddy.
If it’s just a rental, I wouldn’t bother spending cash on renovating it too much. If it’s your parents house or someone that wants to put in the cash, you need a few tonnes of washed river/pit sand to apply after coring the lawn to help with drainage. I can help with that method if it applies in your case.

Last edited:

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
If it’s just a rental, I wouldn’t bother spending cash on renovating it too much. If it’s your parents house or someone that wants to put in the cash, you need a few tonnes of washed river/pit sand to apply after coring the lawn to help with drainage. I can help with that method if it applies in your case.
It is a rental my good man, so wouldn't want to spend too much.

I noticed that sand jarro mentioned is like $7 for 20kg at Bunnings. Sounds like it could end up an expensive exercise haha.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter