"Overcoached statistical rubbish" - Ennis

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
Michael Ennis has slammed the Broncos’ start to the season, describing their brand as being “tarnished” and criticised coach Anthony Seibold for coming out with “statistical rubbish” in the side’s loss to the South Sydney Rabbitohs. Brisbane lost 38-6 to the Bunnies on Thursday in the hotly-anticipated grudge match between Seibold and Bennett. It leaves the Broncos with just two wins from their opening six and Ennis says the club have plumetted to new lows in recent months. Live stream the 2019 NRL Telstra Premiership on KAYO SPORTS. Every game of every round live & anytime on your TV or favourite device. Get your 14 day free trial > Round 9
“I’ve never seen the Broncos in such a bad state,” Ennis said on Fox League’s Big League Wrap. “For me they were always this powerhouse side, that you hoped on the odd occasion that they’d have a day off because you knew the next week they’d bounce back. “They were so resilient, even under Anthony Griffin and Ivan Henjak — we all talk about the Wayne Bennett era — but even those sides when they were challenged they didn’t allow a lot of external noise to affect them. “At the moment their brand’s being tarnished immensely with what’s happened over the last 12 months.
“Off field their leadership has been questioned. The playing group simply aren’t performing. It looks to me like they’re being overcoached. They look lost, disinterested. and you’ve got a coach who’s feeding the media statistical rubbish.
“They’re going ordinary, and he started saying: ‘we’ve had less missed tackles than South Sydney. We’ve had 90 odd per cent tackle efficiency or contact effectiveness’. “I mean come on. You sit and watch Craig Bellamy who is the absolute elite, and he just went down the line and said my players aren’t performing and if I haven’t got blokes who want to perform the way I want them to, I’ll go find some blokes who will. “It’s direct, it’s honest, but at the moment it’s all spin from the Broncos. And they need to fix it, they have lost their aura they have lost their way.”

Seems like everyone is coming out with the big stick this week.

Last edited:
The overemphasising of stats is one part of Seibold which concerns me.
Don't get me wrong stats are important, but can be misleading.
Hope we see his player management skills and a feel for the game come through.

Some truths there, but the "we've never been so bad" is a huge load of shit. 2010 was horrendous. 2013 was utter garbage. Our post origin fade outs from 2003 to 2005 saw plenty of humiliation come our way.

Not much consolation to say we've sucked this badly before, but some perspective is important.

Another media personality caught up in the broncos brand of yester year. Those days are long gone. We don’t have the players of that ilk anymore.

Ennis is a gradeA dribbler though, anybody that watches him on Foxtel can hear that for themselves.

Unfortunately I think he is pretty close to the money. Not only do the players need to lift but so does Seibold. Hopefully we see something this Friday.

48-4.
44-22.
46-12.

The above 3 were in a row.

44-12.
56-0.
40-10.
48-16.
44-18.
36-4.

Oh and missed the finals for the first time since 1991.

You also missed that he got sacked for it

You also missed that he got sacked for it
Which poses the question. If the Broncos finish something like 8-16 this year, will Seibs be in strife as far as current employment goes?

Which poses the question. If the Broncos finish something like 8-16 this year, will Seibs be in strife as far as current employment goes?
One would bloody hope so. And the same for White. It's not like we are the Knights coming off how many wooden spoon seasons. We were one win off the top of the table last year with a stacked roster.

One would bloody hope so. And the same for White. It's not like we are the Knights coming off how many wooden spoon seasons. We were one win off the top of the table last year with a stacked roster.
I would think that he would be in a fair bit of trouble. Surely his contract has a stipulation where a certain sum can be paid out if he totally shits the bed. Perhaps an envelope labelled **** OFF with a cheque inside. They need to finish 9-7 to avoid their worst season ever. Somehow, I just don't see it.

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • LittleDavey
  • Dash
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Broncorob
  • Midean
  • Harry Sack
  • ezpz
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Jazza
  • BroncsNBundy
  • kiwi2
  • Galah
  • Redux
  • IceWorks
  • Alec
  • leon.bott
  • Xzei
  • Bronx48
  • broncos4life
... and 22 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.