Pangai Jnr Stays a Bronco

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Exciting forward Tevita Pangai Junior has re-signed with the NRMA Insurance Brisbane Broncos, crediting new coach Anthony Seibold as a major factor in his decision.

The 22-year-old crowd-favourite has committed to a one-year contract, with an aim to securing a long-term deal off the back of a powerhouse 2019 in Broncos colours.

"I'm a Brisbane Bronco, obviously I want to stay – I'm going to be working hard to get another contract," Pangai told broncos.com.au

"I just feel this was the best place that I can play my best football – I'm happy here so I didn't want to change too much.

The exciting group that we have here ... there's a good camaraderie around the boys, we get along really well, and I love living in Brissy – the fans have welcomed me and I really enjoy it.
Tevita Pangai JrBroncos.com.au
"I was also really excited when I heard that Anthony Seibold was coming to the club with his staff – I feel like he can really help me, he's really big on the effort and the defensive areas ... it's going to be a good step forward.

"I've worked with (Seibold) before in the Junior Kangaroos and he's really good at explaining weaknesses in the other team and making sure that we are doing all the little things, the one percenters – that's his main focus and he's holding us accountable to that."

Pangai made big strides in 2018 with the Broncos, finishing fifth in the Paul Morgan Medal for Broncos' Player of the Year, just five points behind winner Anthony Milford.

source: Brisbane Broncos

Without wanting to get ahead of ourselves........... it does feel like its all starting to come together boys.......:aaaaa:

It’s official. Tpj loves lodge more than Wayne. Good news.

I hope Seibs is able to curtail his immature outbursts on the field. Towards the end of the season some of his grandstanding was cringe worthy. He doesn't need it in his game and the sooner he ditches it the better. Two key players with suss hammies suggests we need to employ someone with a full understanding of training and strengthening this area of our players.

I saw some vision a few weeks ago of O'Sullivan working with someone on his hammies.

I hope Seibs is able to curtail his immature outbursts on the field. Towards the end of the season some of his grandstanding was cringe worthy. He doesn't need it in his game and the sooner he ditches it the better. Two key players with suss hammies suggests we need to employ someone with a full understanding of training and strengthening this area of our players.

As long as it isn’t leading to penalties and he backs it up. I don’t care what he does on the field. Hodges was a total bastard on the field and he might be my favourite player of all time.

Every team needs one villain. Hodgo, Matai, G Bird, Gallen, Graham. It’s a great NRL tradition.

Last edited:
A player of TPJ's size will always have hamstring injuries. They will have to manage him carefully like the cows have done with JT13. It's a lot of bulk to move rapidly.

I don't really mind him riling up the oppo - as long as he doesn't rise to it when the shoe is on the other foot. That's what experience really is lol.

Last edited:
With respect to TPJ's on field attitude, I love a bit of arrogance and domination

When you piut someone on their back with a big dominant hit, and you you stand over them letting them know all about it, it's a great chance to get a mental edge over the opponent, get them second guessing themselves

To me, it's a hell of a lot better than sledging

There's no skill in sledging, anybody can say "Look at the scoreboard" or "You're shit"

But physically outdoing someone takes skill, and then you tell em about it

That's worth getting excited about :)

With respect to TPJ's on field attitude, I love a bit of arrogance and domination

When you piut someone on their back with a big dominant hit, and you you stand over them letting them know all about it, it's a great chance to get a mental edge over the opponent, get them second guessing themselves

There's no skill in sledging, anybody can say "Look at the scoreboard" or "You're shit"

When he can follow that up with no errors and no penalties, I’ll accept it. But while he’s making stupid mistakes, he’s no better than Sandow pumping himself up because one in five of his shoulder charge attempts worked.

When he pushed slater flat on his back I was ready to sign him for life then and there.

When he pushed slater flat on his back I was ready to sign him for life then and there.

Same here.

Then he got himself binned against the Roosters in the dying seconds, giving them one last shot and I was happy with the one year deal.

He'd have never lived it down if the Broncos lost that game.

Still, he's a great personality and as we've seen from Fifita, when those big personalities can rise to the big occassions, you can deal with the odd moments of insanity. I'm still amazed Fifita wasn't the CC in 2016, one of the greatest performances from a prop forward in a GF and nada, zilch.

Last edited:
Same here.

Then he got himself binned against the Roosters in the dying seconds, giving them one last shot and I was happy with the one year deal.

He'd have never lived it down if the Broncos lost that game.

Still, he's a great personality and as we've seen from Fifita, when those big personalities can rise to the big occassions, you can deal with the odd moments of insanity. I'm still amazed Fifita wasn't the CC in 2016, one of the greatest performances from a prop forward in a GF and nada, zilch.

Personally, I don't have any issue with what he did against the Roosters. They would have played the ball before the siren so they were getting one last shot, anyway.

Because he had to walk from the other side of the field to exit, it allowed him to take his time going off which gave us a good breather and allowed us to set our defensive line.

I would argue it was much more of a disruption for the Roosters than what it was for us. It's harder scoring a try against a set defensive line, even with 12 men in the line.

Personally, I don't have any issue with what he did against the Roosters. They would have played the ball before the siren so they were getting one last shot, anyway.

Because he had to walk from the other side of the field to exit, it allowed him to take his time going off which gave us a good breather and allowed us to set our defensive line.

I would argue it was much more of a disruption for the Roosters than what it was for us. It's harder scoring a try against a set defensive line, even with 12 men in the line.

It's still a reckless penalty, I could understand the logic of giving away a penalty due to Staggs' making a legs tackle, but all he had to do was lie on Aubusson a little longer. That means the Broncos would have maintained their one man advantage and wouldn't have seen Mitchell on the outside of Roberts which would have been game-over.

I also think it's made TPJ a marked man especially with the referees. It may not have cost the Broncos against the Roosters, but it sure caught up to them against the Cowboys.

Tpj appears to back up his ego with a strong work ethic. The fact he can see the hamstring issue as a weakness shows he has insight a lot of people with egos lack that key ingredient.

It's still a reckless penalty, I could understand the logic of giving away a penalty due to Staggs' making a legs tackle, but all he had to do was lie on Aubusson a little longer. That means the Broncos would have maintained their one man advantage and wouldn't have seen Mitchell on the outside of Roberts which would have been game-over.

I also think it's made TPJ a marked man especially with the referees. It may not have cost the Broncos against the Roosters, but it sure caught up to them against the Cowboys.

Exactly. It was never going to be anything but 10 given how blatant it was. Walking backwards after doing it while sticking your tongue out just highlighted the fact more. Plus it made him look 5yr old.

Active Now

• Dash
  • Brocko
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Morkel
  • Lozza
  • winslow_wong
  • Harry Sack
  • Broncosgirl
  • Mustafur
  • Organix
  • Scorchie
  • Fitzy
  • Johnny92
  • broncos4life
  • Sproj
  • bazza
  • Skyblues87
  • Rough and Ready
  • LittleDavey
  • Horseheadsup
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.