NEWS Paul Green dead at 49

I can't begin to imagine how it must have felt like for him to think that was his only course of action. Which is what makes it difficult for those surrounding to know how or what to say to people who are doing it tough because we just don't understand what they feel.

Without knowing him its hard to know if there were signs but from afar you cant imagine how someone with a young family who appears to have it all and have reached such highs in his career can feel so helpless.

It genuinly frightens me that there are others close to me who might be having the same thought's but there are literally zero signs something is wrong.

It's sad that so often it takes a high profile occurrence if this to really raise awareness of the issue again when there are occurrences daily which go un reported.

There are plenty of reasons people suicide. Maybe he had addictions, maybe it was a family break down, maybe he felt like a failure, maybe he lost all his money, maybe he’d been closeted or something, maybe CTE, maybe he just had the black dog. You just never know what is going on in peoples lives hey. Talking about your problems no matter what they are is always better than this. Even if you know it brings shame.

But then again I knew a lady who walked out of a mental hospital in front of a train. She just suffered such severe anxiety and depression she couldn’t live any more. So freaking brutal for her family, who thought she was getting the help she needed.

Terrible news. I’ve spoken with him a few times and he was a real genuine guy, really nice. This really hits hard. No doubt a few on this forum including myself have lost loved ones to suicide. News like this always brings stuff back. RIP Greeny, thank you for what you gave to the game.

Alfie:

“Andrew Gee rung with the news this morning. I was at home by myself and I cried. It’s just devastating. I still cannot believe it. He had been going so well and enjoying life. I saw him recently at Andrew Gee’s wedding and really enjoyed his company."​

Allan Langer and Paul Green shared a fierce rivalry on the field and a great friendship off it. Picture: AAP/Michael Chambers

“I can’t stop thinking about his lovely wife and kids. Greeny and I shared a lot of great times.’ I’ll never forget that day at ANZ Stadium when he hit me a late and I gave him a bit of a clip and I came out second best with a broken thumb. But after the game we had a beer. We have told that story a lot over the years."​
“We were really fierce competitors during a game but would always have a beer afterwards. He was a great competitor in anything he did in life.’ I never normally go in the winner’s room but it was something I felt I had to do. He was a great competitor and we were great friends.’’​
“When he coached State of Origin he was pretty serious and intense and I was there to take the heat off him. He was a great bloke and we will all miss him.’’​

RIP Greeny. Sad that it had to come to that result. Absolutely awful for his family that he left behind.

Maybe two rookie coaches taking over his two teams and seeing immediate success while he struggled to find another NRL role was just all too much for him. When you're as successful as someone like him it can be hard to be humbled so badly.

Hopefully he found some peace in his final moments and reflected on some better things because he ultimately lived a very successful life, it's a shame depression can prevent you from seeing the good. Suicide is horrible.

This is the first time I’ve had 2015 gf replays on my tv where I haven’t immediately recoiled in horror, just a sort of “oh well, I’m glad he had that moment” sort of feeling. Which is weird.

Same here.

RIP Greeny. Sad that it had to come to that result. Absolutely awful for his family that he left behind.

Maybe two rookie coaches taking over his two teams and seeing immediate success while he struggled to find another NRL role was just all too much for him. When you're as successful as someone like him it can be hard to be humbled so badly.

Hopefully he found some peace in his final moments and reflected on some better things because he ultimately lived a very successful life, it's a shame depression can prevent you from seeing the good. Suicide is horrible.
Reports are saying he felt a bit empty since not having a coaching gig. I wonder how true the dolphins job was because surely he’d be next in line for Wayne’s job after a few years. Just wish he could have talked to someone about how he was feeling.

Reports are saying he felt a bit empty since not having a coaching gig. I wonder how true the dolphins job was because surely he’d be next in line for Wayne’s job after a few years. Just wish he could have talked to someone about how he was feeling.
Wayne's successor has already been announced.

Reports are saying he felt a bit empty since not having a coaching gig.
Something that a lot of professional sportspeople get after they retire. I remember Susie O'Neill on Nova talking about the depression she went through after she retired, even after becoming a mum. She just felt empty. When what you love to do and being a part of for a long time just stops, they can't transition in to normal life.

You're not the only one.

RIP Paul. Such a shame that he felt this was the only path he could take. An even bigger shame is the timing, although there's never a good time obviously...the day after one of your kids birthdays though, man.

I'll just say this. Sometimes your mindset is so bad that everything is a black hole of anything remotely positive. An occasion that is supposed to be joyful and positive can feel like a bland black & white experience where you are so detatched it doesn't seem real and you just *exist* as it happens. And then you feel guilty and hearless for not enjoying it for yourself or for them. Not a surprise to me at all that it can happen after an event like this.

Profoundly sad. I have a very specific memory of Green in that I shared a lift with him, Tariq Sims and Glenn Hall in a Redcliffe motel back in 2014 when they were down to play us in the preseason (and I was over visiting family). I said something stupid like "hurr you guys are from the Cowboys aye" and Greeny smiled and nodded while the players looked at me like they'd never heard a Kiwi accent before lol. Greeny then said "I suppose you go for the Broncos?" and I nodded sheepishly and he laughed and we shared some "good luck" platitudes as we went our separate ways. Hated that he led them over us the next year but always remembered that brief interaction fondly and yeah, seemed like a good bloke. It's just really sad and I'm not sure what else to say.

The mental issues that raise their ugly head after a long stint in the armed forces (for me 12 years) is something they never tell you about either. That empty feeling of waking up everyday thinking something is just not quite right can drive you insane.

Thank god I have you bunch of dogshits to keep me the right side of sanity🤪🤪🤪🤪

I'll just say this. Sometimes your mindset is so bad that everything is a black hole of anything remotely positive. An occasion that is supposed to be joyful and positive can feel like a bland black & white experience where you are so detatched it doesn't seem real and you just *exist* as it happens. And then you feel guilty and hearless for not enjoying it for yourself or for them. Not a surprise to me at all that it can happen after an event like this.
You are right here and is why people often take this step after a celebration or something that should be seen as joyous. It is that realisation that your depression is so deep and things are so bleak that even something that should be incredibly enjoyable can’t drag you out of it.

It's such a tragedy, Paul seemed like a great bloke. You have to feel for everyone who knew him, hopefully they get the help they will also need. So many thoughts of if "only I reached out or gave him a call" ect. Depression is such an insidious illness, you may never know just how much somebody is suffering.

I was happy that no one yelled out during the moments silence at the ground last night. You could hear a pin drop.

This just goes to show that what we see on the outside isn't always what's going on inside. If you think someone you know is going through it, reach out. Let them know someone is there. If you're going through it yourself, get help. It doesn't look like help to begin with. You're thinking, "what's the point? Nothing is going to work. I'm going to be this way forever". But it does work if you keep at it, if you find that little something to live for.

Active Now

• Foordy
  • sooticus
  • Organix
  • lynx000
  • Fozz
  • Harry Sack
  • DMZ
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Allo
  • Spooky1013
  • Jazza
  • Battler
  • KateBroncos1812
  • cento
  • pennywisealfie
  • FACTHUNT
  • Fitzy
  • Ozired
  • Xzei
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.