Paul White Announces Final Year as CEO

Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one, personally I think Whitey is doing a great job!!!

Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one, personally I think Whitey is doing a great job!!!
Which part?

Selecting a long term coach? Looks to be 0/3 on that front.
On field success? Nought.

Financial success? Maybe. One could argue it should be stronger.
He's a good bloke, a meh business manager and a terrible football manager. Time to move on.

Which part?

He's a good bloke, a meh business manager and a terrible football manager. Time to move on.
Are you Gus G in disguise lol, the club is a huge machine with that many moving parts and hats off to Whitey for trying to keep them all oiled!!

Wherever he goes I wish him luck but hope he takes our recruitment and retention department with him.

Which part?

He's a 'meh business manager' who presided over our greatest period of financial success and growth during his tenure. There is literally no commercial benchmark you could compare him to within the game that comes close. Pick on the Coaching appointments all you like (by the way, the Coach is chosen by a panel, not Paul White) but when you're looking to deride our commercial results under him then you're just making a fool of yourself.

Last edited:
Paul White was instrumental in what happened to Wayne, you can take that as fact
From the outside looking in, it seemed to me that Karl Morris was heavily involved. But accepting what you say, were there things going on in the background that justified the decision?

were there things going on in the background that justified the decision?
There were things going on in the foreground, like the team becoming lazier and shitter every year.

He's a 'meh business manager' who presided over our greatest period of financial success and growth during his tenure. There is literally no commercial benchmark you could compare him to within the game that comes close. Pick on the Coaching appointments all you like (by the way, the Coach is chosen by a panel, not Paul White) but when you're looking to deride our commercial results under him then you're just making a fool of yourself.
NPAT has continuously dropped since 2015.
EPS in 2018 was down 24.64%.
It’s not a huge business. The financials are ok. But I’d hardly say I’m making a fool of myself by saying they could be better.

From the outside looking in, it seemed to me that Karl Morris was heavily involved. But accepting what you say, were there things going on in the background that justified the decision?

Agreements were made with Wayne and his staff. They were very abruptly reneged on. There are quite a few people, some players included, who are not fond of White, put it that way!

Agreements were made with Wayne and his staff. They were very abruptly reneged on. There are quite a few people, some players included, who are not fond of White, put it that way!
Interesting, thanks for that Joe. I cannot wait for the eventual book or books to come out for this little period in time.

Will them players be in first grade for us next year

NPAT has continuously dropped since 2015.
EPS in 2018 was down 24.64%.
It’s not a huge business. The financials are ok. But I’d hardly say I’m making a fool of myself by saying they could be better.
Of course the financials could be better. There is hardly a business anywhere in any industry who isn't trying to do better financially. That's a hopelessly weak argument for wanting a new CEO: "Well we're the best by a mile, but maybe someone else could do better?"

We're heads and shoulders above our peers and yes, we have some natural commercial advantages that they don't, but under Paul White we've really driven those commercial advantages home and really widened the gap to our fellow NRL clubs far more than we ever had previously.

I have no problem with people being unhappy with the football team and them blaming Paul White for that, even if I do think it's hard to blame him for it entirely, I can still accept people making that case. But when you're looking to pick holes in our commercial results, I think it's time to get a reality check on what other NRL clubs are doing in that space and how far in front we've moved under Paul White commercially.

Last edited:
But the bottom line is: if I have a choice between a football club which is barely breaking even but winning premierships or a highly successful business venture which hasn’t won a comp in nearly twenty years, I know which one I want.

But the bottom line is: if I have a choice between a football club which is barely breaking even but winning premierships or a highly successful business venture which hasn’t won a comp in nearly twenty years, I know which one I want.
Sure, but the first one doesn't actually exist. The teams that win regularly aren't regularly breaking even. They're propped up be very wealthy private investors.

Sure, but the first one doesn't actually exist. The teams that win regularly aren't regularly breaking even. They're propped up be very wealthy private investors.
Again, my choice is premierships. So long as it’s not as a result of systemic rorting or drug taking etc.

Again, my choice is premierships. So long as it’s not as a result of systemic rorting or drug taking etc.
I want Premierships too. But we're a publicly traded company and we have to operate profitably and responsibly. That's our CEO's job first and foremost and he's done an excellent job at that.

Putting people in place to get our team winning Premierships is also one part of his role, but he doesn't do this in isolation and the blame for this can't just rest with him.

Unread

Active Now

• Jedhead
  • MrMoore
  • Old Mate
  • Dash
  • Jazza
  • kiwibronco
  • sooticus
  • Xzei
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.