PLAYER Payne Haas Discussion

With the extremely well documented historical use of ape comparisons as racial denigration, the very recent controversies of “ape” comparisons in Australian sport, and the not-so-subtle racial undertones of the King Kong character, my original reply “you serious?” wasn’t necessarily suggesting that you are racist. It was more the fact that you couldn’t understand why others hadn’t already made King King comparisons. The level of ignorance to wonder why no one else was dumb enough to make similar comments is incredible. No one else has made similar comments because most people are aware of the very obvious racial insensitivity.

And the argument that you praised his sporting ability and therefor can’t be racist is another glaring example of how clueless you actually are. Ironically the King Kong story line is literally about a powerful “savage” that gets dragged into white society and marched out before crowds of whites to gawk in awe of his size and strength. And despite his sympathetic qualities, he is never viewed as anything but an ape who exists solely for their entertainment. How fitting.

Oh Lord. I definitely underestimated people's reaction to the comment. I do understand what you are saying in regards to not seeing how it could be interpreted as being racist, that was an oversight on my behalf. To put simply it was not intended to reinforce any racial stereotypes, and I truly believe that it should not be taken that way.

Oh Lord. I definitely underestimated people's reaction to the comment. I do understand what you are saying in regards to not seeing how it could be interpreted as being racist, that was an oversight on my behalf. To put simply it was not intended to reinforce any racial stereotypes, and I truly believe that it should not be taken that way.

All good mate. I don’t think there was any negative intent on your part but I do think it was a very ignorant comment. And while ignorance doesn’t make someone a bad person, I do think it needs to be addressed if the situation arises.

Rumour has it that a scout from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers was in attendance last night and he came especially for him (and Latrell Mitchell). That's the trouble with a widely unknown game where earnings are low. You can attract attention from an elite sport where the earnings are tenfold. I hope he was impressed with neither of them.
Wondering where you got that info?

Wondering where you got that info?
There was a fan on fb who claims he sat next to him at the game. He apparently travels all over the world and watches sports that he doesn't fully understand and scouts for talent. That would be my dream job.

There was a fan on fb who claims he sat next to him at the game. He apparently travels all over the world and watches sports that he doesn't fully understand and scouts for talent. That would be my dream job.

I was wondering how long it would take for NFL rumours to start circulating around this bloke. His talent would be wasted in that game. What makes him really special is his huge motor which would not be needed In American football.

I was wondering how long it would take for NFL rumours to start circulating around this bloke. His talent would be wasted in that game. What makes him really special is his huge motor which would not be needed In American football.

That’s true but I think Haas would still be killing it if he was used as impact player off the bench on reduced minutes. He’s got insane endurance and he’s explosive, he’s a freak. Stay away pls NFL.

Edit: We probably get to see what he can do against tired defence in Origin.

Last edited:
That’s true but I think Haas would still be killing it if he was used as impact player off the bench on reduced minutes. He’s got insane endurance and he’s explosive, he’s a freak. Stay away pls NFL.

Edit: We probably get to see what he can do against tired defence in Origin.

I really don't want to see that, why couldn't he be a QLD'er??

And get paid wow.

Payne is on 10 Dally M points from his 7 games. I reckon he may win it one year soon.

Haas is only 5 points behind for the Daly M after missing the first 4 rounds. He would have to be a big chance to take the Medal.

Certainly top contender for Rookie of the year at this point
Brenton nikora is probably just ahead of him at the moment but 1 or 2 more games like he has had the last 3 weeks an Payne will overtake him for sure. Its a long season.

He is going to be practically unplayable imo once he gets a bit more physicality into his game and uses his size more than he does now.

At this point if he keeps playing this well and doesn't get it it will be a farce. It will kill them inside to give it to one of our guys 2 years in a row.

Unread

Active Now

• LGH
  • Skathen
  • Broncorob
  • Broncosgirl
  • I bleed Maroon
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.