PLAYER Payne Haas Discussion

Correct. 2001 I think. He and Dane Carlaw were going great guns at the same time.
Totally agree about Meyers, he had a massive Origin game where he gained three line breaks in about 15 mins which then parachuted him into the Test arena. He was never the same after that Kiwi game that you mentioned. The fear factor took over so much that whenever he did a hit up, he would hesitate slightly just before point of contact. That was the beginning of the end for him.

Would like nothing better then to see him out there in Maroon with young Fifita and Joffa but still get a kick knowing the experience he will gain by playing origin (even with the Blues) will serve the Broncs well when the time comes down the track.

Hopefully he can come back mentally strong from being white washed :)

I was looking through some old Rookie of the Year numbers to try and determine if Haas has had the best rookie season ever. Personally, I think he's had the greatest rookie season from a forward ever, but there's been some seriously good rookie years from halves & outside backs. It's going to be very hard for anyone to surpass Tim Smith's rookie season.

2005 - Tim Smith (Eels) - 26 games, 6 tries, 5 line-breaks, 40 try assists, 23 line-break assists, 6 offloads, 32 tackle breaks, 24.7 running metres, 16.9 tackles, 1.4 missed tackles

2007 - Israel Folau (Storm) - 27 games, 21 tries, 15 line-breaks, 4 try assists, 2 line-break assists, 9 offloads, 79 tackle breaks, 79.6 running metres, 10.5 tackles, 1.5 missed tackles

2011 - Daly Cherry-Evans (Sea Eagles) - 27 games, 7 tries, 9 line-breaks, 19 try assists, 30 offloads, 115 tackle breaks, 57.1 running metres, 23.4 tackles, 2.8 missed tackles

2019 - Payne Haas (Broncos) - 18 games, 4 tries, 6 line-breaks, 0 try assists, 0 line-break assists, 13 offloads, 89 tackle breaks, 184.6 running metres, 28.4 tackles, 1.0 missed tackle

Notes:

* Tim Smith's 40 try assists is the single season record for try assists, still hasn't been broken. Lead the Eels to the 2005 minor premiership.

* Israel Folau's 21 tries were the most by anyone in a rookie season (later broken by Vunivalu in 2016 with 23). Won the 2007 premiership with the Storm & became the youngest player to ever play for Australia.

* Daly Cherry-Evans won the 2011 premiership with the Sea Eagles & represented Australia.

* Payne Haas represented New South Wales, 2+ games remaining in his rookie season.

Phil Blake was sensational in 82, think it was about 37 tries in his first 36 games plus a GF.

Menzies too was very good his first year, think he was going about a try game for his first 25 and went away with the Kangaroos.

Cherry Evans made way more tackle breaks than anyone on that list. Surprising.

Haas has played more like 15 games. Missed the first 4 rounds and then not sure about origin?

Of course he's the best rookie ever. Anything else is just hogwash no matter how many stats you come up with. If we only gave him a 1-2 game suspension this year he'd already be at least 20-30% more experienced and therefore better.

Phil Blake was sensational in 82, think it was about 37 tries in his first 36 games plus a GF.

Menzies too was very good his first year, think he was going about a try game for his first 25 and went away with the Kangaroos.

I should've specified that I'm only really considering guys beyond 2001 when statistics like line-break assists & tackle breaks started being recorded, also I was 2 years old when Menzies debuted, so I don't have much of an opinion on that season :P

Although for the record, Noa Nadruku was the leading try scorer in 1993 with 22, not sure how many Menzies had.
[automerge]1566896660[/automerge]
Haas has played more like 15 games. Missed the first 4 rounds and then not sure about origin?

You're right, he's only played 18, I've corrected that. I was looking at his total games for his career (21)

KHunt had a pretty handy debut season too.

I’m honesty not sure, but maybe statistically it wasn’t outrageous, but boy did he burst onto the scene!

And Tim Smith - just another ‘what-if’?

But so far as forwards go, if Haas isn't having the the best rookie season ever, I’d like to know who’s outdone him.

I was looking through some old Rookie of the Year numbers to try and determine if Haas has had the best rookie season ever. Personally, I think he's had the greatest rookie season from a forward ever, but there's been some seriously good rookie years from halves & outside backs. It's going to be very hard for anyone to surpass Tim Smith's rookie season.

2005 - Tim Smith (Eels) - 26 games, 6 tries, 5 line-breaks, 40 try assists, 23 line-break assists, 6 offloads, 32 tackle breaks, 24.7 running metres, 16.9 tackles, 1.4 missed tackles

2007 - Israel Folau (Storm) - 27 games, 21 tries, 15 line-breaks, 4 try assists, 2 line-break assists, 9 offloads, 79 tackle breaks, 79.6 running metres, 10.5 tackles, 1.5 missed tackles

2011 - Daly Cherry-Evans (Sea Eagles) - 27 games, 7 tries, 9 line-breaks, 19 try assists, 30 offloads, 115 tackle breaks, 57.1 running metres, 23.4 tackles, 2.8 missed tackles

2019 - Payne Haas (Broncos) - 18 games, 4 tries, 6 line-breaks, 0 try assists, 0 line-break assists, 13 offloads, 89 tackle breaks, 184.6 running metres, 28.4 tackles, 1.0 missed tackle

Notes:

* Tim Smith's 40 try assists is the single season record for try assists, still hasn't been broken. Lead the Eels to the 2005 minor premiership.

* Israel Folau's 21 tries were the most by anyone in a rookie season (later broken by Vunivalu in 2016 with 23). Won the 2007 premiership with the Storm & became the youngest player to ever play for Australia.

* Daly Cherry-Evans won the 2011 premiership with the Sea Eagles & represented Australia.

* Payne Haas represented New South Wales, 2+ games remaining in his rookie season.
Are we a chance of signing Tim Smith for next season?

I should've specified that I'm only really considering guys beyond 2001 when statistics like line-break assists & tackle breaks started being recorded, also I was 2 years old when Menzies debuted, so I don't have much of an opinion on that season :P

Although for the record, Noa Nadruku was the leading try scorer in 1993 with 22, not sure how many Menzies had.
[automerge]1566896660[/automerge]

1994 was Menzies.

He had 16 in 23 games, which is still pretty good for a forward and rookie.

Broncos did in 2010.

I noticed that when I was researching, I had completely forgotten about it, he even played a trial alongside Ben Hunt in the halves.

Active Now

• kiwibronco
  • Broncosgirl
  • Xzei
  • Foordy
  • teampjta
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.