NEWS Payne Haas committed to Broncos despite Wayne Bennett departure

I really love when people talk about bench players coming on against tired defence... For the most part teams tend to rotate players a t the same time. While interchanges are at 8, it's not often that defence will really be 'tired' to be honest...

you've been watching too many American sports ... this isn't like the NFL or Hockey where your swap out your entire bloody lineup ... at most you'll interchange 1 or 2 players at a time

I know he is your type of player, given that he has played a grand total of 30 mins in first grade, but highly unlikely he starts ahead of the likes of Lodge, TPJ or Ofahengue ...

people seriously need to get out of this mindset that starting instantly means someone is a better player. having a quality bench is severely under-rated by many. this is a 17 man game not a 13 man game. having the right balance between starting players and the bench can be all he difference.

apart from giving players a spell or providing injury cover, the bench has two important functions:

1. to maintain the momentum if you have the upper hand
2. to change the momentum in your favour, if you are on the back foot.

the bench also allows us to ease inexperienced players (like Haas) into the rigors and intensity of NRL footy.

some players are more suited to start than the bench and vice versa. players like Glenn and Su'a are your 80 min workhorses, but don't provide as much impact from the bench.

where as a player like TPJ is explosive and can change the momentum in our favour in a single run, especially if coming in fresh, up against tired defence.

IMO our bench next year should consist of:

14. Nikorima
15. TPJ
16. Haas
17. Fifita

I think TPJ is the perfect player to be our starting lock, we should have enough fire power coming off the bench.

Just out of interest who should our halfback and lock be if Nikorima and TPJ are coming off the bench?

you've been watching too many American sports ... this isn't like the NFL or Hockey where your swap out your entire bloody lineup ... at most you'll interchange 1 or 2 players at a time
More often than not these days it's 2-3 players swapping from each team in the space of a few minutes. Players are so fit these days that fatigue, particularly in the first half is usually only an issue if the team has been making a lot of errors etc. All in saying is that whether someone like TPJ starts or comes off the bench their level of impact isn't going to vary too much. Often was the case for us this year that our starting forwards (Sleeping Sam Thaiday) would get us on the back foot, and our bench would need to come on and rescue us. I think starting with a very strong team is important. For that reason I think TPJ has to start. Haas and Fifita will provide more than enough off the bench.

8. Offa
9. Macca
10. Lodge
11. Gillett
12. Glenn
13. TPJ
Bench: Sua, Fifita, Haas, Mago/Carrigan

I guess Broncos are gonna be a media golden child this year and the Rabbits will be whingers, hated and all the lovely media driven things that go with Bennett coaches sides... will be refreshing to not be shit in by all constantly.

I think TPJ is the perfect player to be our starting lock, we should have enough fire power coming off the bench.

Just out of interest who should our halfback and lock be if Nikorima and TPJ are coming off the bench?

i would go with:

7. anyone not named Nikorima.

11. Glenn
12. Su'A
13. Gillett

I guess Broncos are gonna be a media golden child this year and the Rabbits will be whingers, hated and all the lovely media driven things that go with Bennett coaches sides... will be refreshing to not be shit in by all constantly.

don't panic ... by season proper the status quo will have returned.

although, i do expect Bennett to cop it from the media, especially if Souths aren't performing as expected

I know he is your type of player, given that he has played a grand total of 30 mins in first grade, but highly unlikely he starts ahead of the likes of Lodge, TPJ or Ofahengue ...

people seriously need to get out of this mindset that starting instantly means someone is a better player. having a quality bench is severely under-rated by many. this is a 17 man game not a 13 man game. having the right balance between starting players and the bench can be all he difference.

apart from giving players a spell or providing injury cover, the bench has two important functions:

1. to maintain the momentum if you have the upper hand
2. to change the momentum in your favour, if you are on the back foot.

the bench also allows us to ease inexperienced players (like Haas) into the rigors and intensity of NRL footy.

some players are more suited to start than the bench and vice versa. players like Glenn and Su'a are your 80 min workhorses, but don't provide as much impact from the bench.

where as a player like TPJ is explosive and can change the momentum in our favour in a single run, especially if coming in fresh, up against tired defence.

IMO our bench next year should consist of:

14. Nikorima
15. TPJ
16. Haas
17. Fifita

TPJ will most likely be our lock and why move Ofahengaue if he’s been great coming off the bench?

TPJ will most likely be our lock and why move Ofahengaue if he’s been great coming off the bench?

because it is better for the balance of the team, not to have to rely on a rookie with a whole 30 mins of first grade experience to start our games of on the right foot. and let's not forget that he was injured. in 2 of the 3 games where he got that 30 mins of experience he was injured.

who knows where TPJ plays ... he may start at either prop or lock or he may come off the bench.

players shouldn't be rushed, just because they are the next big thing ... especially if they happen to be forwards, who traditionally take longer to develop.

to of our greatest ever props in Webcke and Civoniceva hadn't even debut by Haas' age ... let alone started.

i would go with:

7. anyone not named Nikorima.

11. Glenn
12. Su'A
13. Gillett

don't panic ... by season proper the status quo will have returned.

although, i do expect Bennett to cop it from the media, especially if Souths aren't performing as expected

I really think our starting pack lacks firepower without TPJ in it and will put it on the back foot from the start.

I really think our starting pack lacks firepower without TPJ in it and will put it on the back foot from the start.

If our current crop lacks fire power, how lacking was it with Moose and Thiaday.

This guy seriously could be a starting prop next year especially if he keeps up this training.
I've been calling it the last few weeks.
I know he's young.. But he's also no regular 18/19yo.

I think he should start

If Haas thought he could play his entire career under Bennett, he was deluded ... did he really think Bennett would be coaching into his 80's or did he only want a career that spanned 2-3 years ... lol

It's in the article, "“When we signed this long-term deal we imagined Wayne Bennett was going to stay involved with the Broncos." They thought Wayne would transition into a director type role.

Active Now

• Dash
  • Wolfie
  • winslow_wong
  • Santa
  • Manofoneway
  • Broncosgirl
  • BroncoFan94
  • achievedrap
  • K-Style
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Griffo
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • Thelmus
  • I bleed Maroon
  • bb_gun
  • BroncosAlways
  • Sproj
  • Locky field goal
  • broncos4life
  • heartly87
... and 33 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.