PLAYER Payne Haas Discussion

O

ostin86

NRL Player
Jun 15, 2010
This bloke is amazing!

Best prop in the game atm. I would argue he is the most talented and physically gifted prop the Broncos have ever had....and he's only 19.

It's possible that there are other props that can match his impact, but none of them can hold a candle to his engine. The only two I can think of are Lolo, (even though he is a lock) and Paul Gallen in his prime.

If Lodge, Haas, and TPJ can bring that kind of effort consistently than we will dominate opposition toward packs. Just like we bullied those Roosters girls!

And why is no one talking about the fact the Payne Haas looks like King Kong!!!! They're almost the same size too :)

What a weapon. Glad the club had the foresight to sign him up long term. I saw a comment on another forum saying Payne has sold himself short by about $2m over that period. And if this form maintains I’d have to agree. Will be better than Taumalolo by 2021.

We should definitely look to upgrade his contract in a couple of years if he keeps his form up.

If we have any spare cash we should show him some goodwill and just bump up his current contract a little anyway, more likely to sign again that way. That's how good he is.

Would that be allowed?

Best prop in rugby league at the moment and definitely my favorite player.

I'm in awe at how good he is at just 19. The guys stamina is remarkable. He has the same energy from minute 1 to minute 80. He's agile and quick for a massive guy. He breaks at least 1 tackle every hit up and he's so hard to bring down.

The most important trait he seems to have is mental strength. He was going for grueling runs as a kid, he wins most of our training exercises so to me, that shows he just wants to win. He's also a very humble guy and I hope all this hype doesn't get to him.

He should be given a 10+ contract.

It'll be allowed and if this time next year he is as awesome as he is now or better, we should throw in a bonus 100k per year anytime be plays 18 or more games.

He's fucking excellent and everything I've seen from him tells me he has the attitude to succeed long term. Bit of goodwill now will go a long way to securing him as a one club player. He'll be 24-25 for his next contract, he could easily be the best forward in the game at that point and us voluntarily upping his salary would go a long way to earning his loyalty. He doesn't strike me as a money chasing mercenary so I don't think it would backfire.
If we have any spare cash we should show him some goodwill and just bump up his current contract a little anyway, more likely to sign again that way. That's how good he is.

Would that be allowed?

If we win some trophies I wouldn’t worry about the renewal

He is fantastic, lock up him and Flegler and you have your starting FR for the next 10 years. Fleglers play the ball is lightning quick and Haas isn't far behind, halves and hookers will feed of that all day.

Is he 19 or 20? He’s 20 on the broncos website but 19 on wiki.

yeh he is 19 years old...

And that's kinda the point I want to make here; he hasn't played 10 NRL games yet...I think we need to bear this in mind before bestowing all these platitudes on him.

When Taumalolo got his 10 year contract I thought the Cowboys were raving mad...what if he gets injured, what if he takes the foot off the gas cause he will never play for another contract again..? But then after thinking about it, the way the NRL manage this stupid mid-seasonal transfer bullshit, Cowboys don't have that worry now...and whilst we have this bullshit transfer policy I think its the right thing to do to tie down your best young talent to long term deals...

but to me, Haas's deal is perfect for now...he really hasn't done anything in the game to justify any changes whatsoever to it. Now, if he plays 3 Origins this year and is brilliant then sit down with his agent and have another look at it....but we have a lot of decisions to make over the next 1-2 years as to who has a long term future here and who doesn't. It makes little sense to harm what flexibility we do have right now under the cap before these decisions are made. Whats to do about Roberts? Do we extend Glenn or let him go? Do we want Macca? We are not a 1 man outfit, Haas needs the support around him to shine, but we know we can build around him (as opposed to TPJ, jury is out for me..)

Rumour has it that a scout from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers was in attendance last night and he came especially for him (and Latrell Mitchell). That's the trouble with a widely unknown game where earnings are low. You can attract attention from an elite sport where the earnings are tenfold. I hope he was impressed with neither of them.

He has been immense, but I don't think we need to rush to upgrade his contract.

If he keeps it up, yes we should definitely show some gratitude and give him a bit more cash money. For now though, he just needs to keep producing performances like last night's and establish himself in the NRL (though you could argue he already has haha).

Also, no more indiscretions away from the footy field.

He’s going to earn plenty of extra coin from rep duties. Enough to make up for the fines we’ve been stinging him with anyway.

Rumour has it that a scout from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers was in attendance last night and he came especially for him (and Latrell Mitchell). That's the trouble with a widely unknown game where earnings are low. You can attract attention from an elite sport where the earnings are tenfold. I hope he was impressed with neither of them.

Picked a bad game to come and watch for Latrine.

Haas’ most impressive attribute is his motor, not really important in the NFL. Obviously has some natural attributes that could be honed for the American game, but you’d think blokes his build would be a dime a dozen in the states

Last edited:

Active Now

• Battler
  • Galah
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Mustafur
  • Morkel
  • Sproj
  • Browny
  • Brocko
  • winslow_wong
  • Fozz
  • Waynesaurus
  • Organix
  • Financeguy
  • bb_gun
  • Dash
  • Aldo
  • Mighty Bronx
  • broncsgoat
  • Foordy
... and 20 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.