NEWS Payne Haas rocked by brother's death

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Suspended Prop Payne Haas' older brother Chace has died. Chace has been quadriplegic since age 2, after his spinal cord was severed in a car accident that involved their mother Joan, who was pregnant with Payne at the time. Payne said:

“My mum named me Payne because she was pregnant with me at the time of the crash. She felt I was lucky to be alive after the pain we went through as a family. I have my football heroes like Petero Civoniceva (Broncos front-row legend), but my real hero is my older brother, Chace. He was two years old when he went into a wheelchair and he gives me strength every day to keep on going."

“My inspiration to do well in rugby league is the lessons I have learned in life. Growing up, all I knew was my brother in a wheelchair and it’s taught me to appreciate what I have in life. My brother is everything to me. Chace makes me strive to be the best I can because of him.”

Screenshot 2020 08 20 12f88882deb734468ea64e280ee363f6 WEBP Image 1024  576 pixels

Haas’ father Gregor said:

“It was a very painful time, but we just coped the best way we could. I think it explains Payne’s maturity. He’s had to grow up around a brother who has special needs. It’s taken a lot patience and understanding.”

McHunt

Last edited:
what a year the poor kid has had - frustrated and upset on the field - even worse of it now. :(

So sad, this story. Nothing I say makes a difference but I hope he knows how many of us feel hurt too even given we personally don't know the family. We need 2020 consigned to the rubbish bin.

Poor guy, that is tragic indeed. To give his all while his family is going through this, he certainly has a leg to stand on when he is going off at teammates behind the in goals. He deserves a lifetime contract.

Poor family, hope the guys rally around him. That is truly life shattering news.

:( Poor Payne.

I hope the club gives him a few weeks off, the suspension is good timing. What a fucking shit year 2020 is.

Fucking Hell.
What a ShitCunt of a year.

Sending love and strength to the Haas family.

@The Brisbane Broncos.....
Please do everything you can to look after this young man & his family.

Ahh that is the worst. Poor bloke, that’d be shattering. RIP.

Fucking Hell.
What a ShitCunt of a year.

Sending love and strength to the Haas family.

@The Brisbane Broncos.....
Please do everything you can to look after this young man & his family.
Yeah this year has been absolutely shithouse, I cant wait for it to be over, already lost my grandfather and a brother in law so I can relate to Haas and his family. All the best mate for you and your family.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Yeah this year has been absolutely shithouse, I cant wait for it to be over, already lost my grandfather and a brother in law so I can relate to Haas and his family. All the best mate for you and your family.
Sending.Sending a big interweb huuuug to you too bro✌🤗

My thoughts and prayers are with young Payne. I have five siblings and have yet to know the heartache of losing one of them, it would be devastating. Hopefully the club provides him and his family all the support they can. If he needs it, give him the rest of the year off to be with family. Covid has been cruel and even more so for families who have been unable to gather together, with Payne in the bubble I just hope he was able to see his brother recently.

Active Now

• BroncosFan_Corey
  • Sproj
  • Foordy
  • Mustafur
  • KateBroncos1812
  • jd87
  • Dash
  • Fozz
  • MrTickyMcG
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Brocko
  • Broncosgirl
  • Culhwch
  • Battler
  • Galah
  • Harry Sack
  • TimWhatley
  • Stix
  • Johnny92
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.