NEWS Payne Haas wants to be a Bronco for life

Serial man of the match Payne Haas pulls up a chair:

“It is my goal to be a one-club player. I’m a pretty loyal person, it’s part of my upbringing. I like staying close to my family who live on the Gold Coast. I know it’s not always easy to be loyal in rugby league, but I do want to stay at the Broncos."
ScreenBHQ Best 4

“It was hard to see Matt leave. He’s my front-row partner and I felt bad for him and his family to have to leave, but it’s a professional sport in the NRL. You can’t be shocked anymore when players have to go. We can build something special as a pack. We have talented players coming through like Patty Carrigan, TC Robati and Brendan Piakura, so I want to be a part of turning things around.”
ScreenBHQ Best 5

“I just wanted to keep chasing the ball against the Sharks because that’s what my dad instilled in me. As a kid, he would say, ‘You never stop chasing. Even if the guy is 20m away from you, you don’t stop’. At the time, I would think, ‘Why the hell am I going through this?’ But now I’ve started to realise when I am making Origin teams, and playing NRL, it comes back to all the hard yards I put in back then."

ScreenBHQ Best 7

“I did a different kind of training. A lot of hill runs. Dad was in the military for a while and he brought that military mindset to his children. He put a hard edge into me. There were no shortcuts.”

ScreenBHQ Best 9

“I would never get complacent with a long deal, I’m too competitive. Nothing has been finalised with that (his 10-year deal). I haven’t signed any contract or paperwork, but if I keep playing good football, the big contracts will take care of itself. The money isn’t my motivation. I just strive for perfection. When I step on to the field, I set high standards and I always expect the best of myself.”

ScreenBHQ Best 16

“It would mean the world to bring a premiership to the Broncos. It’s a massive brand and we have a huge fan base, so I want to help us bring the glory days back. I want this club to be winning comps again. I don’t want Broncos fans to be waiting for a long time … I want success for us as soon as possible.”

McHunt

Sounds like he's talking his stock up. Dearden said something positive like that after his one and only breakout game.

Sounds like he's talking his stock up. Dearden said something positive like that after his one and only breakout game.
Let's not compare Haas to those flogs. Haas actually signed a long term contract before he played a game. He was willing to commit to the club long term from the get-go. I actually believe him when he says it.

Dearden was full of shit and was already touring club facilties while he sucked and tried to engage the club in a bidding war. Coates was somewhat believable until he said it while he was in negotiations with Melbourne to sign a deal.

There's never been any rumour of Haas speaking to another club, and he is severely underpaid, so if anyone should have been looking for a way out of his contract, it's him.

I'm hoping we can sign him for 7-8 years at 700-800k which I think would be great value for the club and excellent long term security for him.

So you reckon Haas has basically already signed with the Storm.

Rumour is/was SBW & Mundine were in his ear about going to Canterbury. (that was weeks ago) I heard about it before I came back posting here. I told a few people here about what I had heard.

Xavier Coates said the same thing & weeks later signed with the Storm.
And what a blessing that was.
Haas however, is a totally different player and his commitment levels leave Xavier well in the rear view mirror.

Rumour is/was SBW & Mundine were in his ear about going to Canterbury. (that was weeks ago) I heard about it before I came back posting here. I told a few people here about what I had heard.
Seems an odd one, I mean SBW was so loyal to the Bulldogs when he flew out on them and also when he returned to the NRL at the Roosters..
If Haas is silly enough to be listening and engaging in what Mundine has to offer to him then I wouldn't be too upset if he did leave.
Haas won't go anywhere. He can't go anywhere for the next couple of years anyway and once Reyno and Capewell rock up and the club starts to turn this corner, there will be no need for him to want to go anywhere.

Active Now

• Brocko
  • Midean
  • BroncosAlways
  • Foordy
  • broncsgoat
  • Harry Sack
  • GCBRONCO
  • Xzei
  • ezpz
  • Sproj
  • Jazza
  • BruiserMk1
  • Battler
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Allo
  • Galah
  • Wolfie
  • LittleDavey
  • Strop
... and 15 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.